Topic

Updates to MSR Hubba Hubba for 2019

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Updates to MSR Hubba Hubba for 2019

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ENOTTY
    BPL Member

@enotty

Just wanted to start a thread where folks could discuss the pros and cons of the updates.  Unfortunately, I have no expertise to contribute to the matter.

New for 2019, the MSR Hubba NX Tent series receives EastonSyclone™ Poles. Built of lightweight, aerospace-grade materials, Syclone poles are the most resilient backpacking tent poles ever made – and the future of tent pole technology. The Hubba NX Series also receives MSR’s exclusive Xtreme Shield™ System, a watertight system that ensures tents offer weatherproof protection far longer than ever before.

press release. Previous BPL discussion on the Syclone poles.

Anyways I just found this new technology interesting.  I think the MSRP went up too.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Their “Extreme Shield” system has two parts. First, they have finally switched from a water based PU coating to a poly-ether one so it doesn’t absorb water and get gummy and degrade over time. This is a big improvement but not revolutionary – just a badly needed update that should have happened a long time ago.

Then they are using hydrophobic thread in the seams rather than seam tape. It sounds like a good idea but it doesn’t work very well. The water resistance is very low, which is why the fine print says you need to seam seal it yourself if you plan to use it in extended rain.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools