Topic

Up and Coming GoLite Alternative

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Up and Coming GoLite Alternative

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Liam E
    BPL Member

@ruststains

I am looking for a lightweight backpack but I’m not willing to pay $245 to get there. I am looking at discontinued GoLite models and my jaw is dropping at the prices that they were able to offer while they were in business. Is there any other company/crowdfunding project that rivals what GoLite used to offer?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Well the GoLite designs are in the process of being resuscitated by the GoLite founder Demitri under a new brand My Trail Co. So you may be able to buy them again. Their Jam packs are scheduled for a spring release per their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/MyTrailCo/

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

Double post?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

The MLD Prophet is $195, though unlike the Jam it is absolutely frameless. (IIRC the Jam had a foam framesheet, so maybe it’s better to call it “padding” than a “frame.” I’ll check my old one when I get home.) And if you want smaller the Burn is $180 and the Core is $85.

The Gossamer Gear packs (some of them) are significantly lower than $245. A G4 starts at $125, and they have other smaller packs, too.

Peter H
    BPL Member

@stickler64

Locale: Sacramento

Last year’s Six Moon Designs Fusion backpacks are a bargain at 100 bucks

http://sixmoondesigns.com/packs/F50-CU.html

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

The ULA CDT is similar to the Jam. Stripped down, about 19 oz. At $145, reasonable in price I think.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Exciting Investment Opportunities too, for Colorado residents !

http://www.cuttingedgecapital.com/mytrailcompany/

https://dpo.mytrailco.com/

This seems wack, but I’m not an investor, it just appears to be lacking the chance of a large reward for a high risk investment.

The Subscription Agreement and Form RL in the offering have all the details, but, in a nutshell: If the $500,000 minimum is not met, all investments are refunded plus interest; and success yields a 10% annual dividend either paid or accrued, and you have a right to sell back to My Trail for the full investment plus any accrued but unpaid dividends after 5 years. You also get a 20% discount on all purchases so long as you hold your investment.

Liam E
    BPL Member

@ruststains

Yep, “For Colorado Resident.” I would have invested a small sum just for a 20% discount. I’m from Ontario though. Hopefully there are enough people in Colorado to make this possible. This makes me sad.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Cascade Crafworks makes the Highline Pack and the price is comparable to the GoLite Jam. Better yet, it’s waterproof. It’s a bit more expensive in Cuben.

There’s something about this pack that I keep coming back to—but I couldn’t tell you what.

windsor ak
    BPL Member

@windsor

Locale: MN

Klymit Motion 35L at backcountry.com for $75.

Ditch the air pad and cut off all of the extras to get it to a better weight.

As Peter H. mentioned, Six Moon Designs clearance models for $100 – $110 in 50L and 65L models.

Laura J
    BPL Member

@ljfromvt

I have a GoLite Jam2 (medium size) for sale. This is 3000-4300 cu in. Will sell it for $100. It is in like new condition, with one exception (original owner clipped the side cinch straps, but these are not necessary as the back is incredibly compact. I bought it off another Backpackinglight member and found it was one size too big for me. If keen, please message me.

I would like to sell this asap before the next week as I will be thru hiking the AT after.

thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

nm

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Look at the Montbell Versalite and Balance Light packs. They have been much ignored by the UL community, but I think they are a great bargain. http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?p=all&cat_id=11

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I had a similar question just a few weeks ago. The Montane packs look the closest, but I don’t see many reviews and haven’t seen one in person.

How about the Mountainsmith Scream 55? $150 retail, often on sale elsewhere.

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

“How about the Mountainsmith Scream 55? $150 retail, often on sale elsewhere.”

Currently on Massdrop.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools