Topic

Underwater bear bagging

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Underwater bear bagging

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

Anyone have thoughts or information on bear bagging underwater above the tree line say with a Ursack and an air tight pouch?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I have no information…but If a bear’s sense of smell is anything like we’ve been led to believe, I’d bet water doesn’t do much to thwart a bear’s ability to locate food :)

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Funny that you mentioned that, I saw a Ranger use that technique in the Sierras

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve done it here in Alaska and it’s always worked for me.  Most often, I’m caching food several days prior to some death march to save weight on a single, high-milage day.  Unless you’re using canned goods* (which I do at times, for things like Kern’s fruit nectars in aluminum cans because it’s calories, liquid, and fiber in a very lightweight container to be packed out), then there’s buoyancy to deal with.  Large rocks can keep things weighted down.

Our trails get a lot of traffic from grizzlies (not so much from black bears which have to stay away from the grizzlies) but it’s also a “target-rich” environment – berries, salmon, grubs – so they may not have been habituated to the more minor scent of packaged food

*Beer, deposited on your way in, will be cold on your way out if left in a stream bed.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I am perfectly happy to be proven wrong :)  I don’t live in, nor do I frequent bear country so like I said, no information or personal experience.  I trust David’s opinion on this.

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

I’ve also done this for years in Alaska during salmon season, though more for refrigeration than anything else.  When camping by a mountain stream fed lake, I’ll fillet the day’s catch and sink it to the bottom of the lake in an opsack or other large ziplock bag to keep it fresh until I hike out a day or two later. I have a second air filled bag tied the the end of the rope to allow me to pull the fish back up. I’ve never had one of these caches disturbed by bear or otter, though I can’t say whether it’s been just luck or not.

John Schutzman
    BPL Member

@jjoschutz

I plan to hike the Southern JMT from VVR to Whitney without a resupply and no bear container can hold enough food.  With this information I will carry both a bear container and a bear bag which I will submerge.

Thanks so much,   John

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Do as you please John, but caching food in the NP’s (SEKI) is prohibited.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I think there is a bear container, the Bearicade Expedition, that can hold enough food for VVR to Whitney. Probably the limitation will be the size of your pack.

Some things to consider to make your food fit in the biggest bear canister you can find:

• Repackage your food. The plastic packaging takes up a lot of room.
    • Rethink your food choices. Buy food that takes less space, requires more hydration.
    • Go a little hungry. I have done this and it isn’t THAT bad.
    • When you see big groups of kids on a group backpack trip, ask if the parents if they have extra food. Same if you see people on their way out at the end of a trip.
    • Use the bear boxes on that part of the trail.
    • Add a resupply stop. You could add one at Parcher’s resort which requires going out at Bishop Pass. This is a gorgeous segment of trail to add to your trip.
    David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

“When you see big groups of kids on a group backpack trip, ask the parents if they have extra food. Same if you see people on their way out at the end of a trip.”

Yeah, if you see my wife on our way out, there’s ALWAYS extra food.

“Go a little hungry.”  Manfred has long figured on burning 1/2 pound of fat a day and, over his annual month-long epic trip, will lose the 15 pounds he’s put on around town since that last big trip.  It works for him, but is kind of extreme (it does save a LOT of pack weight on a long trip, though).  For 3-4-5 days, I can go 2000 calories (1/2 pound of body fat) short, but longer than that and 1000 calories a day shy (1/4 pound of weight loss) is more easily sustainable for me.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’ve easily done Whitney Portal to VVR without resupply, with a BV500 bear canister.  It’s entirely dependent on mileage per day and food selection; it’s certainly not an impossibility.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Also, the first day’s food doesn’t have to fit in the canister because you’ll eat it. And the last day you can just eat the dregs of what’s left knowing there’s a big burger or pizza waiting for you in Lone Pine.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools