Topic

Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia
    Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Well, I pulled the trigger on the 30 at some point last year. I took it on a trip in September, and it performed phenomenally. I did both off-trail climbing and on-trail running during that trip, and was extremely pleased with the pack. It carries great, and has plenty of storage up front. I too took out the stock back insert, cut out the water bladder holder, etc. This reduced the weight of the pack to 18.36 oz.

I’ve been hipbelt-less for a while, so nothing new in that regard. My other hipbelt-less pack is a ZPacks Zero, which weighs around 9.6 oz with all pouches/pockets added. That’s a 8.8 oz less than the Fastpack 30, which is significant. Add another 1 oz for a packliner to the Fastpack 30, since it’s not waterproof. Is the added weight worth it in the Fastpack 30? Right now, my thinking is: It is worth it if you’ll run. The Zero sways terribly when I run. Even when I don’t run, it sways, and gives me some back chafe. I can preempt it with Leukotape, but that’s a hassle.

One negative with the 30: I took it out early this spring for a hike/run, and loaded it with a bunch of water for easy weight. But the handful of water bottles I used for ballast don’t fill the pack body, so it carried terribly when running (compression straps were futile against a handful of water bottles in the main body). The take-away is: the pack has to be reasonably full to carry well when running (probably a “duh”).

I was impressed enough with the 30 to pick up a 20 too, when they were on pretty severe discount on Massdrop earlier this year. I’ve only taken the tags off–haven’t tried it yet. I *think* I can fit overnight gear in it, but I’m not positive, especially if I’m carrying a Bareboxer.

Lastly, I did re-purpose the 30 for a bout of backcountry snowboarding/snowshoeing. I replaced the original back insert (which is nice and stiff), and tied my snowboard to the pack with para cord, and lo and behold–it worked pretty damn well. I think if I replace the para cord with some webbing straps, it will work much better. Of course, now I’m thinking about buying a split board or an AT setup to avoid the snowshoes and carry altogether…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

nicely done :)  I never thought about it, but when I know I’ll be carrying snowshoes it would be a good idea to put the original back pad back in

Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

Looking for input on bear canisters in the either the fastpack 20 or 30.  My son has a fastpack 20 and I have a fastpack 30.  What canisters work well in these packs?  I’m guessing smaller diameter is good.  Or is diameter not really a problem?  Looks like the only canisters less than 8 inches in diameter are the Lighter 1 Lil’ Sami and the Bare Boxer Contender.

Thanks!

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

I have a FP20 in the larger size, and my BV450 does NOT fit in it. It may fit a smaller diameter canister, but I’m not sure since I don’t have one.

Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

That is good to know, Allen.  I had read the review of the Fastpack 20, here and had the impression that the BV450 would fit, though it would be a tight squeeze.  So, another data point is great to have.  Thanks!

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I’m able to fit my bv500 in the FP20.

its real tight at the top but once you get through the extension collar it fits.

you need to put it in perfectly verticle to get it in. I don’t think I would use it where I needed a cannistet

there is a You tube video with someone doing it

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I see all the new fastpacks are now on their site (with the older models on sale); must resist :)

Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

Thanks Greg.  So, between you and Allen, and the review I lined to earlier on irunfar.com, I think the takeaway for me, is that I should probably stick to the Bareboxer Contender or Lighter 1 Lil’ Sami (7.4 inch/7.0 inch diameter, respectively) for the FP 20.   I think the opening on my FP 30 is a little larger, but I’ll need to check.  Maybe I can put a Contender in my son’s pack and something with more volume and a larger diameter in mine.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

I’ve used the Bareboxer Contender in the FP30. Works quite well.

Haven’t tried it in the FP20, but I suspect it will do fine in there, too.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Anyone know if there were any substantial changes in the new UD fastpacks, other than new sizes available? Structurally they look pretty much the same on the site.

A UD fastpack style pack was one of my first lightweight packs and I’ve been using UD hip hydration packs for many years. One thing that’s changed for the worse IMHO which has nothing to do with functionality is larger loud branding, something that seems to be found on most trail race packs. Modest label or symbols I can deal with, but hate it when a company turns me into a large ad board.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

^^^

I have sharpies in several colors, as well as “ultra flat” spray paint in various shades of gray.  My once Blazing Blue trail shoes are now a respectable “faded blue” and the neon logo is black. An obnoxious bright silver logo on a stretch panel is a quiet gray.

Over time trail grime takes over and all is well.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Right on Greg. I do that too when it’s too much, but if I have a choice between two otherwise equal products I’ll skip the one with the loud branding. It’s just obnoxious for the company to do it in the first place.

Anyone know if there are any changes for the new UD fastpacks other than new sizes and colors?

Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

Thanks Adam, for the confirmation on the Bare boxer Contender!

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

I can comment on the new UD Fastpacks, having been involved with design and testing. Instead of 20 & 30L models, we now have 15, 25, 35 & 45. The material of the packs is a little heavier and therefore more durable than before. In the 35 & 45 this added weight is offset by a lighter (better) back panel / stiffener. The 35 & 45 also have a hip belt. The 15, 35 and 45 include a large zippered pocket on the shoulder strap, which can fit a water bottle or phone, etc., and a regular bottle pocket on the other strap. The 25 has 2 bottle pockets. I think this covers the main changes from the earlier models. Check the UD website for more details.

As far as company logos on the products, I guess it’s a matter of taste – some people like logos. Or you could think of it as good for the company, which can then sell more products and therefore keep making new & better products, while keeping costs down.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The 20 and the 30 are back on massdrop again for 70 and 80.  Quite the discount compared to the new packs.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I picked up a 20 off Backcountry for $82 a couple weeks ago, they’re still 45% off there.

I have to say, the fit and ride is perfect on me; it’s like a second skin.  I’m really excited about it as a < 3 day fastpacking bag.  It’s also proving to be a great canyoneering pack for stuff that doesn’t require too much rope (~120′ or less) or too much abrasion/crawling in narrow stuff. I can also swim pretty well with it on.  I think they nailed it and I look forward to wearing it out.  It’s going to get a lot of use this summer.

Not sure that bigger than the 20 is my thing; at that volume, it’s getting close enough to my HMG Southwest in weight that it seems a little redundant in my pack quiver.

Andrea Feucht
    BPL Member

@misstenacity

Thanks for the summary, Peter. Helpful to know about the fabric change, too.

Erik Norseman
    BPL Member

@erik-norseman

Locale: Okanagan

Reviving this old thread because I found the picture of the fastpack with a snowboard attached. I’m wondering how the fastpacks would fare as backcountry touring packs? Im thinking the fastpack 40 (newest version) might be a good fit. I’m really curious whether a shovel blade can fit in the horizontal yellow zippered outside pocket. Anyone tried this before? Thanks!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

My little life-link shovel fits in the back pocket well, but not my bigger BD aluminum shovel (I mean, it does, but it stretches the pocket a lot around the blade – it’s a tight fit).

The compression system on the new 40 is improved, but the pack is still bulbous. Not my favorite profile for bc skiing. My dream pack for this use case is about 25-30 liters, and on the taller/slimmer side, with no internal structure so it conforms to my back, and of course with a nice running-style shoulder harness. Not a big fan of no-hip-belt for this situation, I’m not a great skier so my pack needs to stay in place when I’m wobbling my way down a steep couloir! The UD 40 torso sizing is a little wonky to me, and seems too short.

I feel like the Hyperlite Headwall design is close(r). I like the stiff fabric, minimalist frame, and avy gear outer pocket. But that’s an overnight pack – 55 liters and way too big for day skiing. No running harness (missed opportunity, HMG) and the hip belt pockets are hard to use. Snowboard rigging not ideal, and there’s no reinforcing side panels for ski edges.

Seems like the really good packs out there for BC skiing are also pretty heavy. My favorite right now is a 2.3-lb McHale Summit Pack (28L) with cordura (removable) side panels and a rear avy gear pocket. But sigh – no running-style vest.

Viewing 20 posts - 51 through 70 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools