Topic

Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking Ultimate Direction Fastpack 30

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

yeah- my weight only includes 40 oz of water; water certainly adds the weight quickly

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

So, I am getting closer to a date of departure for three days of running / fast packing in the Japanese Alps.

Any updates on the UD FP 30? Major likes? Dislikes? Things to watch out for or tips to avoid some potential annoyances?

I couldn’t work my gear in the UD FP 20, so I got the 30 as I said earlier.

I thought I might keep the stocked pad in because it is more stiff and thought it would provide structure. Turns out I don’t think I really like that structure. It presses too much in certain places, and I think I rather have a little bit of flex for the pack to follow the contours of your back. I put a cut to size piece of Ridgerest in there and coming out 161 gram lighter. Normally you pay at least $161 for that, if not more. I’m sure I could go a bit lighter if I had another pad to sacrifice but this is what I had.

I will test if like the UD FP 20’s pad more than the Ridgerest for heavy weights but I think the lighter though thicker pad might be better. The UD FP 20 pad is a little bit stiffer than the cut up Ridgerest, but they are close. The weight difference between them is 43 gram.

After running so much with the new Peter Bakwin Vest (3.0 – never been so happy with a pack) I actually prefer the zippered pocket on one side, and like the idea of putting your tropics in there.

I still really wish it would have ‘load lifters’ but might add some loops and elastic cord myself.

cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I replaced the pad in mine as well for decent weight savings and noticed no decrease in comfort.

There are a few minor tweaks I’d make to the size/locations of the harness pockets, but overall very pleased with mine :)

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

I just picked up a RaidLight Ultra Raid Desert 20L + 4L Front Pack from Rocky Mountain Ultra, and I’m looking forward to using it this fall up in the Cascades.

https://www.rockymountainultra.com/collections/raidlight/products/raidlight-ultra-raid-20l-with-front-pack

I was initially saving for the WAA 20l pack because some of its features appealed to me, but the MDS has been plagued with production and delivery problems (at least here in the US). The RL doesn’t have the brow strap and expansion is via webbing, but the kanga pocket up front looks like it mounts lower and might be more comfortable. Plus, no heavy zippers.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

I’m curious how you get along with the front pack. Salomon sells something like that as well to add to some of their vests.

I have a Zpacks pack like that but although very well made etc., I didn’t like the bounce on my stomach – running or hiking. If you get along with it it must be really nice to have.

Love the WAA organisation and flexibility of features you can keep/utilise or don’t.

Matthew Alan Thyer
    BPL Member

@feetforbrains

Locale: Pacific North West

My experience with the WAA MDS system is that there isn’t any bounce. I’m told that the RL is similar, but lower. Have to wait until Friday to see.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Mike wrote

There are a few minor tweaks I’d make to the size/locations of the harness pockets, but overall very pleased with mine :)

if I want to change anything it is pockets above the bottle pockets, like on the Peter Bakwin Adventure Vests.

I also put some elastic cords attached to the sternum straps so I can store my poles there. Very easy to stow away quick for on trails with many scrambling sections.

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Well, I did a semi DIY, in that I took some pockets with huge beaners and even bigger plastic hardware, took that off, and put them on the pack like the Peter Bakwin Adventure Vest has. Well, or similar. I like these pockets because you can have some gear that you always want to have quick on hand, even if some items you don’t use that much. Here I put my emergency whistle, pocket knife, compass, lighter, lip balm, sun cream in there. I can stuff more inside. I think I can stuff it full of Malto powder too. Though I have to test at what weight and volume combination it really starts to swing around. My pockets are more flexible than the PB pockets. So I don’t think a camera or PBL would work. But lots of small tools, or arm sleeves/neck gaiter and packets of fuel and pills etc I think will work really well.

Empty:

Amazing sewing skills. I coated the inside threads with some transparent nail polish.

Holy grail:

Well actually the Holy Grail were the slightly bigger ones on the PB 2.0. But, for the rest the 3.0 is more like a 3000.0 it’s such an improvement. I call it that. The Peter Bakwin 3000

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

double post

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Forgot – the other Adapt Your Gear adjustment mentioned above: front pole attachment. Here the placement is even better than the PB3000. It looks as if it would stab you in the chest or stomach when bending over. But I’ve done some good scrambling this way and it’s great. Very rarely it will be a bit too much to the front and touch my stomach, but I feel the poles more on the PB vest. I need to shorten the cinch cords somewhat.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I’ve got a couple of small pockets similar to that from MLD- I’ll have to experiment on fastening them :)

I stole an old idea from Osprey and carry my trekking poles off to the side  via a couple of shock cords and cord locks- easy to deploy/store

mine is getting loaded up as we speak for a 20-ish mile run in the Elkhorns

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Apparently UD is coming out with Fast packs in 15, 25, 35 and 45 Litre versions in February 2017.

some initial info here

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

interesting :)  15 liters is probably a little small for anything overnight (but for longer day trips into the backcountry…), 45 should be very interesting

Allen C
    BPL Member

@acurrano

Ito, thanks for posting that link! I love UD stuff and like the look of the new Fastpack 15. I like how they keep improving their already solid packs. I also like supporting a small US based company rather than a large conglomerate like Amer/Salomon, which is their main competitor.

Mike, I’ve done overnighters with a true 15L pack a couple times. It was tight but worked OK (I pack light). It sounds like the new Fastpack 15 will actually be a 19L capacity. I may check this one out. It might work well for what I carry on fast 2-3 day trips. I also like that they are putting a hipbelt on the larger models, seems like a good idea to me as soon as you get over about 20 lbs which for me seems to happen at about 20L.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

19 liters I might be able to squeeze a couple of days days :)

agree- it’s nice to support a small American company

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

I’m wondering if anyone may know further specs on the 20 regarding the total liters. I emailed UD and they gave me no further info than what the site says. It would be nice if every company did a break down like outdoorgearlab does with the ping pong balls. I’m assuming the max 23L they list is for the main body. How much can the main stretchy pocket swallow?

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Scott,

Perhaps you can extrapolate (or rather interpolate) from the measurements that outdoorgearlab did of the FP30.

“OGL Measured Volume Bottom Line:
    Total Volume = 36 L
    Main Bag = 26 L
    Front Pocket = 6 L
    Side Pockets = 4 L

This pack also has more storage up front in the two water bottle pockets and other little pockets on the shoulder straps.”

Hope that helps.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

23 liters sounds right for the main bag, the stretch front pocket is pretty roomy- no problem fitting a lightweight shelter and hardshell

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

I agree. 23L is about right for the main compartment. I had mine out on a training hike today with the following loadout:

•HammockGear 50° Burrow LW
    •Montbell Exlight Anorak size L
    •Sugoi Midzero leg warmers size L
    •Injinji Midweight Nuwool Crew size L
    •All the above in a MLD XL Cuben stuff sack
    •Thermarest Prolite XS
    •MLD Monk tarp
    •TNF Hyperair GTX size L
    •Zpacks Rain Skirt
    •Montbell Dynamo wind pants size L
    •2 large emergency mylar blankets
    •Steripen Adventurer Opti
    •Zpacks stake bag with 8 6″shephard’s hook stakes and 6 titanium V stakes
    •Buff
    •Smartwool beanie
    •Black Diamond Powerweight gloves
    •Camp Wind Mit’n
    •Ditty bag with FAK, fire kit , headlamp, etc
    •500ml repurposed water bottle
    •1 Epic bar
    •1 bag GORP

Total pack weight at point of debarkation = 8.24#

The pack was still quite pliable. Nowhere near crammed to the point of barreling. I could have easily fit a full 3 days food (2.2# per day) in there or 2 days food and a BareBoxer.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

^ good deal; what did you fit into the stretch pocket?  I typically carry my shelter and hardshell in mine- I fold them to approximate the size of the pocket so they lay pretty flat

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Large stretch pocket held the stakes,Steripen, and rain skirt. On an overnighter the tarp would probably ride in there as well but it was in the main pack this time.

Hardshell was rolled up into its hood and stuffed in one of the side pockets until it started raining.

Scott Kilcoyne
    BPL Member

@scottx

Locale: Indianapolis

That breakdown was exactly what I was looking for. The new 25L they just posted is calling my name once it’s made available to purchase. Bummed I missed the 20L on Massdrop last week.

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

I just did some quick math on the volume of the FP20 pack body.

Mine measures roughly 5″x8″x17″ with a slightly tapering extension collar that measures roughly 4″x8″x10″.

That comes out to 11.14L in the pack and another 5.24L in the roll top, for a total of 16.4L.

According to Hill People Gear, most pack manufacturers use a multiplier of 1.5 for pack volume.

16.4L x 1.5= 24.6L

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

If anyone is looking for a UD FP 30 in S/M size there is one for sale now in new / like-new condition on gearswap, for a very reasonable price (no relation to seller).

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-ultimate-direction-fastpack-30/

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

For those interested the fastpack 20/30 are back on massdrop.  $70 for the 20 and $80 for the 30

looking at the gear list above it looks like the 20 is the size I want for 1-2 night trips

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools