Topic

ULA Backpack Bottom Material?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ULA Backpack Bottom Material?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

Hey BPLers

I just received a Camino 2 backpack from ULA a few weeks ago, and one detail that I couldn’t figure out was the material they used on the bottom of the pack. It appears to be the same material that is used on the bottom of the circuit/catalyst/cdt. According to their support staff: “that material is <span class=”il”>Robic</span> nylon.  The same material as the grid fabric but without the diamond weave and the grid”

I’m just wondering if anyone knows the denier or other specs on this material. I would also like to know why they chose this material to put on the bottom of all their packs, as opposed to the grid fabric that covers the rest of the pack. The non grid material seems thinner and less durable… Please tell me this is not the case, and it is actually more durable, and that they didn’t just do this for cost / cosmetics.

Any wisdom would be great!

Thanks,
    -K

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Maybe email Chris at ULA? I’m sure he can tell you why they use that fabric. He usually responds very quickly.

Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

thanks! done sent the email.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

From some emails with them a couple years ago – it is 420d Robic. Chosen for its increased durability over the 210d stuff.

Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

Thanks Ryan! Is it just me, or does it actually seem a bit less stiff / thinner?

Lawrence A
    BPL Member

@rbps8

That material is very tough, it’s bombproof. The fabric that they use on the roll top (if they haven’t changed it since 2013) is questionable however.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Website states “made of 100 percent 400d Robic fabric”

Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

From the main man himself: “It’s the same fabric but without the grid pattern, which is mostly cosmetic. It’s mostly done for aesthetics, and it’s easier for us to make all the bottom panels with the logos out of the same fabric rather that 6 different colors/ Chris”

Case Closed!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools