Topic

UL stove windscreen for non-UL backpack trips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL stove windscreen for non-UL backpack trips?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Disclosure—-I collect old stoves and lanterns and bring multiple stoves for overnight/weekend trips, only going UL on longer trips or higher mileage trips, motorcycle trips.  Seeing carbon felt and titanium windscreens offered on the bay, any hacks to secure them that works?  I have a chunk of carbon felt from another project.  Have not given this issue much thought as I’m loaded down as it is with my old stoves.  Push a tent stake thru the carbon felt, punch holes in the ti foil?  I could get a SS screen off the bay, but thought it would be neat to have something ul.  Right?  I have a tall one for car camping.  What do you use if you use a windshield/windscreen?  One is needed on the coast, is a ul windscreen not a good idea on the coast?  Thank you.

Duane

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Roasting pans and aluminum flashing remain popular choices. My issue with carbon felt is that stuff sticks to it and it gets wet.

I use a cone mostly. Integration.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

I have a Caldera Cone for longer/lighter trips.  Forgot about the roasting pans, but wanting something that could be folded or less stiff.  Should have my new cuben fiber tent this week, headed out this weekend with the pup.

Duane

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

Oven liners for the bottom of the oven also work.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Embossing foil is like the foldable windscreen material that comes with the Wisperlite. Amazon.

Rodney
    Spectator

@rodney-m

Locale: Northeast Oregon
    USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you, that stuff is cheap, sizeable quantity.

Duane

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I have a 6″ E-Z Fold windscreen you can have for cost of shipping it to you.

YouTube video

chris s
    BPL Member

@riceonsuede

I did’nt see you ‘fold’ it up. Shouldn’t it be the EZ Roll Up windscreen? Or are you considering the corrugated look as the fold?

Kirk V
    BPL Member

@beebrain

those 0.005 inch foils (aluminum being the only sensible metal for UL needs) are also available at Hobby Lobby for about $6 to $7, 12 inch by 30 inch roll (more than post above, but might be all you need and you avoid shipping).  It is extremely ductile (soft). I made a cone windscreen which would support a 1 liter pot and doesn’t have a problem with alcohol stove heat, although I think it will get beat up quickly, I made the same thing out of 0.011 inch aluminum flashing (Home Depot).  This had a much stiffer temper to it, in addition to being more than 2x as thick.  That is good in use, but bad in packing.  I think the ideal would be a thickness in between, although my next version will probably be with TiGoat’s 0.005 Ti foil, which will be 3/4 the weight of the flashing, 50% more than the HL foil, but share the flashing’s durability, and the foil’s rollability, and neither of their affordable prices.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Ti foil also has the slightly annoying property of being extremely springy. Unless you use 3 – 4 microstakes to hold it down, it won’t stay there!

Cheers

Kirk V
    BPL Member

@beebrain

Cone windscreens probably don’t have that problem, if there is a secure closure to the cone. The pot holds it in place, and with no pot the springiness holds it round. It can blow around, like any light windscreen, but thats not a springy issue.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools