Topic

UL folding saw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL folding saw

Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jan

What SW are you using for the CAD, CAM and to drive the printer? Just curious.

Cheers

Lloyd Long
    BPL Member

@longlw

Locale: Central Cascades

Jan,

I like the new design and would like one. Also, my main backpacking buddy really wants one of the originals like I got from you a few months ago. If you still have one left I will take another on them also. Just send me a message letting me know how much to forward via paypal.

Thanks,

Lloyd

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

@Roger,
    I’m using OpenSCAD (https://www.openscad.org/) for my designs. It’s programming rather than drawing.

That was how the how the smaller version was made – now there’s a single variable that defines the length and all the coordinates that depend on it are calculated from it. If I had a larger printer, I could print handles for your Silkyboy 2000 blades easily now :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Hi Jan
    Thanks. I will have a look.
    Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I got one of Jan’s for the 130.  Here’s my Pocket Boy 130 vs his saw.

so far, so good :)

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

The orange 130 version of the handle looks awesome!

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

A photo of the short handle (silkyboy 130) next to the original one (silkyboy 170). On the last series, I also made the teeth cover in color.

Brian H
    BPL Member

@reno1

I normally don’t carry a saw, but if I ever did, I would want one just the one you built.

Chris Friesen
    BPL Member

@wilbur007

Just received mine yesterday.  It is perfect for boreal forest hiking where the occasional campfire is required to boost spirits and body temperature.  The Silky 170 blade makes short work of softwoods and Jan’s handle makes it an easy choice to bring it along.

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

Do you prefer the 130 or 170?

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

I’m thinking 130 sence it is supposed to be a ultra lite tool and not to be used the same as a full weight saw.

Carl M
    Spectator

@cpt-carlos

I got my handle from Jan last week and brought my “PocketJan 130” out for a 2-nighter this past weekend. Very happy with it, the handle feels very sturdy! Compared to the original handle it’s way more packable thanks to its weight, flatness and that the blade’s edges are less exposed.

We used the saw to cut up some birch and old pine with nice heartwood for fires. Hard work but not to any fault of the handle :) It felt comfortable enough with thin gloves on. The locking mechanism is sturdy and firmer than the original, but easy to handle

Saw on kitchen scale

Unfortunately my blade tip has broken off (old accident) so the blade doesn’t lock into place when closed. There is enough friction in the bolt that holds it together though so it’s not an issue

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

This winter I redesigned the lock of my 3D-printed saw handle, making it stronger and more reliable.

In the first version, the latch of the lock is pressed into a groove in the blade by a spring (analogously to the original Silky handle). However, the geometry of the groove is such that a force pressing on the blade pushes the latch out of the groove – this is described in more detail in this post. I know about two failures of the early prototypes (fixable by replacing the spring or the whole lock – spares are provided), then I made the spring stronger and it seems it solved the issue. Even with this fix, I was not 100% happy with the lock – it also required removing a material from the spine of the handle, just in a place where it bears the highest load.

The new lock works differently and solves both these issues. Now the blade is locked with a pin that moves sideways through the handle. It can’t be pushed up by the sloping groove in the blade, and the neck of the handle can keep it’s full thickness. The lock is released by pushing a tab on the spring that holds the pin in place.

The catch is in making the pin – it took me a while to find a solution that wouldn’t be bulky. It requires cutting a precise, deep groove into a stainless steel rod which is tricky. It would be easy with a lathe, but I don’t have one.

Here’s how it looks:

Silky saw handle lock detail

compared to the first version:

This picture shows nicely how the new lock allows keeping full thickness of the handle, making it stronger just where it’s needed the most:

And the complete saw (130 mm version):

I also updated the materials used. Previously, I usually printed the handle out of carbon-fiber filled polymer which is very strong and rigid, but because of it’s rigidity, it’s also somewhat brittle when loaded to its limits. It was OK and I’m not aware of any failure due to this, but I’d prefer a more resilient material. Recently, a new printable plastics called PCTG appeared which has exactly the properties I looked for – it’s stiff enough for this use, but also very tough. It bends rather than snaps when loaded to the max. Now both the black body and color parts are made of PCTG.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

That is a good reliable lock. It is used on a number of commercial knives, such as the Benchmade ones:
    https://backpackinglight.com/benchmade_530_folding_knife_review/
    The Benchmade knife can be opened with a single thumb.

Cheers

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

A small update of the saw handle project. The new lock described a couple of posts above works great, no issues since then. I also switched to a new color scheme using translucent filament – it shows more of the 3D-printed structure, and I like it more than just a plain block of opaque plastic. Its still the PCTG polymer which offers goof balance of stiffness and toughness. Here are pictures of both sizes (for the 170 and 130mm Silky Pocketboy blades) next to each other:

Saws closed

In the larger version, I added a little more internal reinforcements. The handles now weight:
    170 mm blade version: 42 g / 1.48 oz
    130 mm blade version: 36 g / 1.25 oz

and with a 10 TPI blade mounted:
    170 mm blade version: 75 g / 2.65 oz
    130 mm blade version: 68 g 2.40

I also experimented with a larger blade from the Gomboy saw, but the locking notches on the blade are different, and much narrower, so it doesn’t work with the locking pin. I will try other options, but it may not work without modifying the blade itself.

Sanders O
    BPL Member

@sanders46

Jan, sent you a private message on one of your 3d printed handles

Dalibor J
    BPL Member

@dalibor

Dobrý den Honzo,
    mohl bych si u vás skládací pilku vyrobenou z pilového listu PocketBoy objednat?
    Moc se mě líbí.
    Nechávám na sebe tel.: 724287444
    Děkuji za info.
    Hezký den, Dalibor

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Two years later and I just realized BrianH’s post desperately needed to be turned into a meme.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

Jan, could your design be scaled to the Silky Bigboy?

I have been carrying the big boy all year doing pop-up trail work in the Los Padres because of the massive amount of damage from the storms, but 17oz is a substantial weight penalty so it gets left at home once in hit about 10 miles/day.

I figure the polymer handle is 2/3 of the weight.

If you could make one for the big boy I’d happily buy one. PM me if you can do this

Viewing 19 posts - 76 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools