Topic

UL folding saw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear UL folding saw

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jan

What SW are you using for the CAD, CAM and to drive the printer? Just curious.

Cheers

Lloyd Long
    BPL Member

@longlw

Locale: Central Cascades

Jan,

I like the new design and would like one. Also, my main backpacking buddy really wants one of the originals like I got from you a few months ago. If you still have one left I will take another on them also. Just send me a message letting me know how much to forward via paypal.

Thanks,

Lloyd

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

@Roger,
    I’m using OpenSCAD (https://www.openscad.org/) for my designs. It’s programming rather than drawing.

That was how the how the smaller version was made – now there’s a single variable that defines the length and all the coordinates that depend on it are calculated from it. If I had a larger printer, I could print handles for your Silkyboy 2000 blades easily now :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Jan
    Thanks. I will have a look.
    Cheers

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I got one of Jan’s for the 130.  Here’s my Pocket Boy 130 vs his saw.

so far, so good :)

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

The orange 130 version of the handle looks awesome!

Jan Rezac
    BPL Member

@zkoumal

Locale: Prague, CZ

A photo of the short handle (silkyboy 130) next to the original one (silkyboy 170). On the last series, I also made the teeth cover in color.

Brian H
    BPL Member

@reno1

I normally don’t carry a saw, but if I ever did, I would want one just the one you built.

Chris Friesen
    BPL Member

@wilbur007

Just received mine yesterday.  It is perfect for boreal forest hiking where the occasional campfire is required to boost spirits and body temperature.  The Silky 170 blade makes short work of softwoods and Jan’s handle makes it an easy choice to bring it along.

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

Do you prefer the 130 or 170?

quinton bryant
    BPL Member

@quinton

I’m thinking 130 sence it is supposed to be a ultra lite tool and not to be used the same as a full weight saw.

Carl M
    BPL Member

@cpt-carlos

I got my handle from Jan last week and brought my “PocketJan 130” out for a 2-nighter this past weekend. Very happy with it, the handle feels very sturdy! Compared to the original handle it’s way more packable thanks to its weight, flatness and that the blade’s edges are less exposed.

We used the saw to cut up some birch and old pine with nice heartwood for fires. Hard work but not to any fault of the handle :) It felt comfortable enough with thin gloves on. The locking mechanism is sturdy and firmer than the original, but easy to handle

Saw on kitchen scale

Unfortunately my blade tip has broken off (old accident) so the blade doesn’t lock into place when closed. There is enough friction in the bolt that holds it together though so it’s not an issue

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!