Topic

UL Fishing rod w/ wheel

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara UL Fishing rod w/ wheel

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Morten J
    Spectator

@solvstrom

I’m looking for an UL fishing rod with a good wheel. I don’t mind putting some money in it, if it’s good quality. I have a Tenkara rod, but i’m looking to do more lake fishing and fishing from a canoe. I’ve done that with Tenkera too, but i want a setup that can take some larger fish. Also. The Tenkera is quite difficult for my girlfriend who also enjoys fishing.

Can anyone recommend a light fishing setup that is good for backpacking?

Jack
    BPL Member

@j4ck

Locale: New England

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/ul-fishing-rod/

A helpful discussion here. Yes, Tenkara is discussed, but some other good options as well.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Here was my search:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/94711/

Let me know if you have any questions.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I’ve just picked up a light pole and reel is on the way via USPS.

Bought Daiwa Crossfire 5’6″ 562ULFS rod at Big5 sporting goods for $25. It weights in at 2.55oz and is an Ultralight spincasting rod. However, this means it’s not just light by weight, but is aimed at handling smaller fish and is very flexible.
    <ul class=”point_1″>

• 26 ton IM-6 Graphite blank construction
  • Aluminum Oxide guides
  • Stainless hooded reel seat
  • Split-design foam grip
  • Hook keeper
  •  

The lightest reels I was able to find are 5.4oz Basspro and Okuma UL-10. While Basspro one had somewhat decent reviews, Okuma was mixed. I ended up getting another Daiwa –  Crossfire CF1000-3Bi UL spin reel (6.0oz). It’s their second lightest after Crossfire CF500 (5.9oz), but difference is just 0.1oz, while they have different design and 1000 has higher line capacity. 1000 should be better designed and a better real.

The trick with these when fishing is to set the drag right and not bend the rod too much if it is larger fish. It will most likely break if you bend it into a U, so with larger fish keep it almost horizontal, set the drag , reel in when possible and let it spool if it needs to. Tire the fish out and then bring it in.

Yuri R
BPL Member

@yazon

Just got the reel in the mail today and I wanted to let you know things:

• it is small
  • It weights in at 5.2oz
  • smooth with 3 ball bearings

Looks well made too.

brian H
BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

morton r u looking for a fly rod or spinning?

i sure love my son’s 7.5′ 3 wt temple forks rod…pretty UL by nature

Robert n
BPL Member

@bobbydneuman

I ave a Thomas & Thomas rod 8 wt. 10 ft 4 piece rod and Ross c.l.a.6 reel outfit retails for $1150, I would sell $600.

Or if you want a heavier rod for pike and musky I have a new orvis helios 9 wt. 9 ft. 4 piece rod with a hydros slv 5 reel also asking $600

I also have a 10 wt. Thomas & Thomas rod 9 1/2 ft. 2 piece asking $350

[email protected]  easier to contact

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools