Topic

TT Aeon Li Update Coming April 2020…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TT Aeon Li Update Coming April 2020…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

According to the Tarptent website, the Aeon Li is getting some modifications.

Anyone have any idea what the changes to the Aeon Li might be?

Guesses welcome :)

https://www.tarptent.com/product/aeon-li/#tab-id-2

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I’m guessing a zippered vestibule and maybe some changes to the strut system.

It looks like the Notch Li is getting zippered vestibules in its update:

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

A zip would please me…

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I’d be curious what they change and also curious if the updates are indeed better, if one could have them upgraded on their “old” Aeon?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I’m very interested in the Notch Li upgrades.

For just 3 oz. more than the AEON Li the Notch Li gives you a double wall solo tent. That double wall, IMHO, extends the seasonal range well into the shoulder seasons where you might reasonably expect some snow at higher altitudes.

Ryan’s experience of having to bail out in a snowstorm with the AEON Li shows it is ONLY a 3 season tent, albeit a very good one.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

For just 3 oz. more than the AEON Li the Notch Li gives you a double wall solo tent. That double wall, IMHO, extends the seasonal range well into the shoulder seasons where you might reasonably expect some snow at higher altitudes.

I don’t use trekking poles, so the weight penalty for the Notch Li over the Aeon Li is more like 7-8 oz’s. I have enough solo double-wall tents for shoulder seasons as it is, and if I wanted another I’d likely get a Trekkertent Phreeranger as a DCF option, or a Big Sky Int’l Revolution with solid interior as a Silnylon option.

Lee V
    BPL Member

@leev

I asked that question in an email to TT and Henry Shires replied: “The coming update wont be here until later April and then we’ll have full photos and specs. I can tell you that the vestibule venting and closure is better on the update.”

So I’m not sure what that means but some of the above guesses are apparently fairly good.

Lee V
    BPL Member

@leev

Can you provide a link to the article referencing Ryan’s bailout? I’d like to read about it.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I think they might be mistaken on Ryan’s little adventure; he was using Hyperlight Gear tent (dcf) that night he got ran off the mountain

Not that the Aeon Li would have fared any better; pretty severe storm accompanied by 60+ mph winds

https://backpackinglight.com/field-notes-retreat-from-a-spring-alpine-storm/

Buddy B
    BPL Member

@buddyb

Yup… not an Aeon Li, but a HMG tent for the trip where Ryan bailed.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Ryan Jordan’s video in his Aeon Li review did have a section where he was showing how the tent performed in snow and dealt with spindrift. But the tent was pitched in his yard. I think Mike is right and Eric was thinking of the HMG Dirigo 2 retreat.

I don’t really consider a mesh inner like in the Notch to have any performance benefit over a single-wall tent. The solid fabric inner in the Notch would be better under some conditions, but that adds another 1.5-2 oz. Each tent has their advantages and better use-cases.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Offtopic but I’ll add my two cents:

The solid inner actually adds a lot of warmth. I used a Moment DW during some very heavy storms at an altitude of 3000m, in winter: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3cELA9Jc_4/

My learnings are:

– the tent construction itself withstands the wind
    – handling at these temperatures (around -15C) can be a problem as the rather small bucklets and tensioners are difficult to use, especially with high winds and if everything is frozen in the morning
    – the Moment and Notch are extremely nice to pitch, as they only need 4 stakes, however, this can be a problem (single point of failure) if you have heavy winds beating from the longer sides
    – the thin carbon pole (moment) is very fragile when pitching in high winds. I broke one twice hitting a rock

The warmth to weight ratio is great though. Unfortunately my conclusion is that I will probably switch to a Hilleberg Akto in these situations. Since my Moment DW is very damaged I’ll switch to a Noch Li and use it in less extreme but cold conditions.

Back to topic: I had the Aeon Li as well, however, I prefer the Hexamid Pocket tarp which I use for lightweight and save trips.

I’m curious about the changes for the Aeon and Noch!

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Christoph, you actually have the prior version of the Moment DW and the hybrid carbon pole is lighter but definitely not as strong as the now default 9mm aluminum pole on the current Moment DW. Also, the newer Moment DW has additional arch pole sleeve pullouts and hem pullouts all of which which make the structure noticeably stronger when it needs to be.   That hybrid carbon pole can, however, be repaired with new sections. Give us a shout.

-H

Scott S
    BPL Member

@ohlol

Glad to hear they are switching from Velcro to zip closure. That Velcro is annoying to close if it’s windy and your hands are cold.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Christoph,

Since I stupidly left my Gen. 1 Moment DW fly (and arch pole in it) out on my picnic table when a windstorm came up suddenly and I lost it. So I bought the Gen.2 fly from TT and the new, larger diameter (i.e. stronger) pole.

So now with the new, lower fly and the new stronger pole plus my shortened X-ing pole that runs under the fly and 4 guy lines I have no fears about high winds or snow load. The X-ing pole only comes along when the forecast is for high winds and/or heavy snow.

But yes, this solo tent, with the ripstop inner, is warm in sort of a bivy-like manner but still has decent bottom-to-top ventilation. I’ve recorded as much as a 15 F. warmer temperature inside the tent on a winter dawn so it does help.

Remember, the Akto has a design of the ends that creates places for snow build-up. A  four season tent it ain’t. Maybe a DIY short center pole at each end could help this situation.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools