Topic

Trying to Shed Weight. Help Appreciated.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Trying to Shed Weight. Help Appreciated.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Y
    BPL Member

@nyates55

I usually take 4 day hikes with my girlfriend, and am trying to lighten my pack a bit. I am a bit of a novice to UL, and would appreciate any advice you could throw my way.

I am trying to keep from spending too too much money, but am not on a super tight budget or anything.

The list so far does not include clothing (haven’t researched that area yet), or my phone/battery pack.

I may be missing something super important, bringing something I don’t need, or have something way heavier than it needs to be. Any help you can spare would be appreciated.

https://lighterpack.com/r/3kmnnh

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

First thing that stands out is your pack which is a little over 56.5oz( a little over 3 1/2 pounds) you could also do better weight wise( zpacks, Mountain Laurel Designs, Sixmoon Designs, Tarptent to name a few )  on the tent or do you need a double wall tent for some reason ? I think there are better more fuel efficient alcohol and esbit stoves Trail Designs  for instance, your trowel is heavy the Duece of spades is .6 oz

Here is some general info for you to look at that I post for newer members(maybe you have seen it I don’t know) SUGGESTED GEAR LIST ETIQUETTE
    Mike Clelland(NOLs instructor and author, his books are very good),he has some great free videos on lightening up be sure to watch(his clothing system,the entire contents of his pack,water treatment and part 1 and 2 on the dinky stuff for ideas),this is pmagsBackpacking: A Beginners Primer, Lightweight Backpacking 101Jack of All Trades gear and The Frugal Backpacker – The $300 Gear Challenge alsoThe Budget Backpacking Kit.These are some other articles and videos for you to check out

MY 11 LB GEAR LIST FOR $207 TOTAL

Backpacking for Cheap: Gear for the Gearless

Backpacking Checklist (Gear List): 3-Season, 3-Day

Lightweight Backpacking 101: An Introductory Manual for Lightening Your Load Today (1st Edition – August 2001)

Cheap Ultralight Gear List

You Can Get An Ultralight Backpacking Kit At REI!

Oregon Field Guide: Ultralight Hiking

Lightweight Testimony: Lighter, Farther, Faster
    Jamie Shortt talks about his progression and shows his gear list for each stage,Lightweight Testimony: My Journey into Lightweight Backpacking
    CleverHiker Light weight Basics
    CleverHiker Trail Skills

Adventure Alan 9 Pound – Full Comfort – Lightweight Backpacking Gear List

Adventure Alan Quick ways to reduce backpack weight

Andrew Skurka has a very good website with trips and gear lists for you to check out, here is a talk he gave at google
    Ultimate Hiking Gear & Skills Clinic
    His book is worth checking out also
    The Ultimate Hiker’s Gear Guide: Tools & Techniques to Hit the Trail

Why “waterproof” shoes will not keep your feet dry

Minimizing the effects and aftermath of wet feet

LAYERING FOR BEGINNERS

THE BEST CLOTHING COMBINATIONS FOR BACKPACKING OR HIKING?

A NEW PARADIGM FOR UNDERSTANDING GARMENT WARMTH

Andrew Skurka’s Core 13 Backpacking Clothing

Dave Chenault’s response to Skurka’s Core 13

On hiking in winter

Dave’s All about insulation

Dave’s 30s and raining: some suggestions
    You can get little repackaging containers(like the ones you see in Mike Clelland uses in his videos) many places including your local stores and pharmacy but here are some examples
    USPLASTICS
    USPLASTICS
    .Mountain Lite Gear.
    GossamerGear
    MountainLaurelDesigns

Litesmith .

You could make toothpaste dots like Mike C. shows or there are Archtek Toothpaste Tablets so only bring exactly what you need in a snack size bag for any given trip instead of a whole tube and THESE are good for little thing like pills, toothpaste tablets ect. so you are not packing a whole bottle(you can also get them very cheap at most pharmacies)

Your list really does not look that bad, It is more about enjoying yourself, so welcome to BPL and enjoy

Nathan Y
    BPL Member

@nyates55

Thank you so much for your post. That should keep me busy for days!

Sorry about the Etiquette! 

1 ) Camping with my GF.

2 ) Shenandoah National Park, Virginia.

3 ) Spring – Fall. Weather should be decent with potential rain.

4 ) Usually 4 day trips.

You’re right that my pack is super heavy. I really like the look and feel of it, so I’ve been trying to figure out how to lighten it up. Didn’t really come up with much, So I imagine I’ll swap it out at some point.

As for the tent, I got the double wall to help with condensation and freestanding because its easier in the rocky areas. I also got the Dagger as opposed to the Hornet (like a 10 oz difference) because it is rather spacious inside as my GF is kind of claustrophobic (very minimally, but still), and the fabrics are stronger (I’m not terribly delicate with my things).

Ill take a look at the stove as well.

The trowel. That’s a free 3 ounces there! Thanks for the heads up!

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Hey Nathan,

I’ve used Anna’s links before too–in fact, I think it’s how I got a good chunk of my UL intro.

I agree with her. You’ve got a good base weight to start, but the pack is heavy. I switched to a frameless pack–the MLD Prophet a couple months ago. I used to think that I could never do it, that stuff would be poking me, etc…but it’s the best purchase I think I’ve made. I’m a believer! I’m even looking for a smaller version now. There are definitely lighter double-walled 2P tents, too, if you’ve got the desire or money. Of course, there are single-walled versions worth looking into, as well. Yes, it’s a tradeoff with condensation and space (and learning). My gf and I are not totally transitioned to one yet, but we’re attempting to. If you hike with your girlfriend often, it might be worth looking into the EE Accomplice, or another twin quilt. Again, my gf and I switched to it and were able to save some weight and share warmth.

Some other small things/gram shavers that are possible (but they add up!):

• Shouldn’t need the stuff sack
    • There are lighter cooking set-ups if you’re just boiling water (e.g. aluminum foil instead of the Vargo windscreen)
    • Bic “mini” is 0.53oz or thereabouts
    • Already combined Aquamira in lieu of the Sawyer filter. I learned this from Mike Clelland’s small thigns video.
    • No deodorant (I find if I wear wool or a wool-blend it negates the stench enough)
    • Headlamp – Petzl eLite is awesome
    • No trowel–use a stick or rock
    • Toothpaste tablets (on Amazon) might be lighter than the packets, but marginally so. I just think they’re cool! You can also make you’re own (again, in Mike Clelland’s videos I believe).

I’m sure I’m missing other stuff, but it’s all about finding YOUR balance between UL and comfort. These are some of the things I’ve done to get there. I hope this helps! Cheers man.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Also, add your clothes to your gear list when you’re ready!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I am in the camp of you should carry a potty trowel Why ultralight hikers should carry potty trowels and I agree with Paul Magnanti on this thread.

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

I stand corrected–those are very good points re: potty trowel.

Nathan Y
    BPL Member

@nyates55

Thanks for the tips everyone. I am making a few adjustments as a result! I bought the Deuce of Spades. Purchased the Petzl E Light as well.

I am just getting to the clothing section. There are a lot of options and I am trying to not make any poor decisions. I will continue to look at other peoples’ lists and try to get this locked down.

I am working on the electronics section and food storage system as well.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I recommend going with a floorless pyramid style tent that can be pitched with your trekking poles. That style of tent is lighter and more storm worthy than a dome tent. You can lay down your polycro ground cloth to sleep on. A mountain laurel designs duomid weighs 20 ounces and there is plenty of room for 2 people.

Something like a ULA circuit would be a good replacement for your north face pack, similar capacity with good load carrying ability but just over 2 pounds weight.

Nathan Y
    BPL Member

@nyates55

Thanks Justin. I’ve been looking at packs lately a lot. I am trying to get my clothes worked out so I can go on a 3 day with what I have now (including food), and see if the 50L size is a bit big. I am thinking that I could probably get away with a 40L or so.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools