Topic

My 11 lb gear list for $207 total

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists My 11 lb gear list for $207 total

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Alexander Haney
    Spectator

@alexhaney100

Locale: Canada

Hey folks! So have you heard of the 15 lb/ $300 backpacking challenge? Basically, the goal is to put together a whole backpacking setup (including worn clothes) that weighs 15 pounds or less for under $300. I worked on this all this week with some gear I already had, as well as a few little additional items I picked up and made. I had a lot of fun putting this together, really fun challenge. I would feel very safe and comfortable taking this kit out in the summer months where I live.

My pack weight came in at 11.35 pounds with my total weight at 13.37 pounds. And I only spent $207. Thought I'd share with you guys for inspiration as well as feedback!

I put together an unpacking video if you want to see all the items and my explanations: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PkvUo5tvQw

I also have a gear list over at lighterpack:http://lighterpack.com/r/deshbp

Let me know what you think!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Alexander Haney
    Spectator

@alexhaney100

thanks!

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Congrats! Lightweight for sure. I usually go about 10-11 pounds. But this is for a 32F set of gear that will handle a weeks worth of wet weather. Total weight is about 20-23pounds depending (sometimes I take fishing gear, a camera, frying pan and a saw.) I can go lighter (and have.)

I believe my bag cost more than your entire setup! Light at 1#11, it cost like hell to be that light. Anyway, enjoy! Upgrade when you can to lighter, warmer gear.

Alexander Haney
    Spectator

@alexhaney100

Thanks James! I do own a completely different more high quality set up, this was just a personal challenge for me as well as inspiration for my youtube followers who want to get into backpacking on a limited budget :)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Aleaxander: Here's what I posted on youtube. Most of which is redundant to BPL members who have already drunk the UL Kool-aid:

Great video and nice introduction to UL backpacking and how it doesn't have to be expensive. I'm sure you have no end of tweaks and adjustments you could do but here are few small ones that come to mind: wrap 18 inches each of duct tape, leukotape and electrical tape around your water bottle(s) – it keeps it convenient and slightly reinforces the water bottles and makes them less slippery. I'm a Swiss Army Classic guy (21 grams, $5 on eBay for TSA-seized ones) which is both cheaper and lighter than your Buck knife and gives you scissors, nail file and tweezers. That's a lot of Vaseline – I'd repackage some into a repurposed hotel shampoo container or better yet, a professional-sample size of antibiotic ointment (mostly helpful for keeping a cut moisturized as it heals). I've had bad luck with vinyl ponchos in thunderstorms if the temperature drops – they get very brittle. Probably fine in the SE in the Summer. At higher elevations, I'd instead bring a second Hefty trash bag as a cheap poncho.

I assume the lightweight sleeping bag is in conjunction with wearing your clothes inside the bag on a colder night. Just like some people aren't ready to go to a tarp (and you've given them full bug and rain protection with that tent), it takes people a while to get their head around a quilt instead of a sleeping bag. Thrift stores have bed-sized polyester quilts that can be cut down into 2 solo quilts. $10-15 plus needle&thread (or red-neck DIY it with duct tape) for two quilts! saving you weight and volume and cost.

What I like most about your selection of really cheap but functional items is that it gets people started on the right path (light, simple) and then, if they really like it, they can upgrade one item at a time (probably first going to a 1 to 1.5-pound UL pack or maybe transitioning from tent to tarp) because having only $20-40 in each item, they wouldn't be so invested in the original gear. I see a lot of people hesitate to change from the traditional bag or tent or tent that they sunk $200-300 into when they realized there are far lighter options.

Alexander Haney
    Spectator

@alexhaney100

Thanks David! I was one of those people who just went from a more traditional backpacking setup and slowly invested in lighter quality gear rather than doing what I show in this video. I'm trying to help out some friends with getting started cheap and light rather than what I did. So it was a fun challenge, helped me get a new perspective on going ultralight and how cheaply it can be done!

I'll check out that swiss army classic! thanks. And yeah for the vaseline! the container was actually almost empty, definitely wouldn't bring the full thing. should have mentioned that! oops. i didn't repackage because I didn't really have any good containers for it.

good to know about the vinyl- I used one last summer exactly where you mentioned, throughout the southeast and midwest. I did a road trip from Ontario over to missouri, down to florida and back up through the appalachians. Did a lot of backcountry and I had lost my rain jacket so just used that and even liked it better than my jacket sometimes, just for the light weight and ventilation.

sleeping bag- yes, I sometimes wear the extra stuff, but I'm also a hot sleeper. in the summer I often just throw on my fleece and sleep outside that bag or keep it open. thats why I mentioned that this will depend on your own body. ooh good call on the quilts! thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools