Topic

Trying to get a tarp setup going!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trying to get a tarp setup going!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    mike p
    BPL Member

@mike-plowright-2

Hey guys, new sub here! As with most, lurked for a long time and decided it’s a resource worth paying for. What better way to start my membership than ask for help!

I’ve been using a 2person tent since I can remember as most of my trips have been with my S.O and/or dog, but in the next year I’m looking to do some longer trips solo. This means I can save some weight and leave the Stratospire 2 behind. I was considering getting a single person tent like a Lunar Solo or something similar, but the idea of a tarp set up is very interesting to me.

I’m looking for a relatively budget tarp set up. But weight savings are ideal, so if the cost:weight is right, I’d pull the trigger. I have an Aqua Quest 10×7 tarp which weighs around 16oz that I’ll try out before just to make sure I like it.. but it’s heavier than I’d like if I’m going to go the tarp route.

I have a while to save up for it as I won’t realistically be shooting for it until later in the year or even next season.. but I’d like to get my tarp knowledge caught up sooner rather than later.

What I’ve come up with on my own so far (and I’m hoping people can chime in and point me towards lighter or better options) is:

Borah Gear 5.5×9 Tarp. 8oz @ $49.99

Polycro 5×9 Ground Cloth @ 2oz $10.00

MLD Bug Bivy @ 5.5oz $175.00

15.5oz, $234.99

The bug net is something I’m a little unsure of because ideally I’d like the option to not use it if I don’t need to, hence the Polycro.. but 5.5oz seems like a lot to carry around. That said, I don’t think I like the idea of just a headnet or one of those bug nets that only really wraps around my head. Something I’d have to try out, anyway. Does anyone know if the bug net on the MLD Bug Bivy can be kinda unzipped and tucked off to the side rather than set up as shown in the website pics?

The only other thing I’m wondering about is all the accessories I’d need; how much line do people usually bring? Any sources of tarp information are much appreciated! Sorry for the noob questions!

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

The MLD monk tarp may be something worth looking into. It comes in both Cuben and SIL nylon ( although pay attention to the different sizes of these different versions due to fabric roll width)

The SIL nylon version is a bit more expensive than the Borah gear version. However with respect to features in terms of tie out points as well as interior loops it is a bit more robust. I think you may find the extra flexibility that that provides helpful

mike p
    BPL Member

@mike-plowright-2

Thanks for the suggestion!

Honestly, staying with one manufacturer would be ideal for me because I’ll be shipping to Canada – and shipping gets expensive, so being able to squeeze it all onto one order is appealing. I’ll take a look at it!

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

You won’t beat MLD quality. The bug bivy is a great piece of gear … I personally really enjoy it. The Monk Tarp in Sil is nearly the same size as the Borah Gear and is much more featured.

I think especially for a new tarper and going for such a small tarp … having the extra options would be valuable.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Another MLD fan here but you could get a bivy from Borah as well. If you do get their tarp add some extra tieouts.

That said, I find a 5×9 to be very small. I’d be comfortable using one in warmish weather in relatively protected forests but I would not be comfortable using one above treeline or in exposed desert. I have one made by Simply Light and I’ve only brought it on a couple trips.

Its not as light but since you mentioned the Lunar Solo, how about a Deschutes + Bug Net? It’s almost as light and you can leave the bugnet at home when you aren’t concerned about bugs. The Deschutes provides much more coverage than a 5×9.

mike p
    BPL Member

@mike-plowright-2

Is there any source of information that explains the advantages to certain cuts and/or pitches of tarps?

I like the idea of being able to A-Frame it, or have one side completely open for views and what not. Does the Monk have to have a side exposed? Articles and videos of it are pretty scarce

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Mike, you probably saw this: https://ulgearblog.com/2016/02/28/mountain-laurel-designs-monk-tarp/

YMMV but I don’t find my SLD 5×9 to have enough coverage in A-frame mode unless it’s in a protected site with vertical rain. I’d probably do a shed or half pyramid pitch at that point.

mike p
    BPL Member

@mike-plowright-2

Hey guys, back again!

I’ve done a fair amount of reading and rethinking my tarp set up and why I want a tarp. A lot of the reason I was drawn to a flat tarp was because of the idea that I may want to use it with someone else.. but I have a 2person Stratospire 2 for that and if it comes to it I can just use that fly. After reevaluating, I’ve come up with the following set ups:

Setup A:

Polycro Ground Cloth (Bath-Tub DIY?)  @ 2oz ~

MLD CF Bug Bivy @ 5.0oz,

MLD CF Trail Star @ 12oz,

19oz for quite a bit more comfort than the option below. Super weather-proof because of the Trail Star. Could be 14oz if I leave the Bug Bivy behind.

Setup B

Polycro Ground Cloth (Bath-Tub DIY?)  @ 2oz ~

zPacks Altaplex Tarp @ 8.8oz (or Hexamid?)

Borahgear Cuben Bivy @ 4.45oz

15.25oz, so a bit lighter all in. not sure how it holds in stormy conditions. went with a bivvy because i’m not sure how the MLD Bug Bivy would work in the Altaplex/Hexamid

I like the idea of how storm proof the trailstar  is. That said, I know it’s really big. That can be seen as a plus.. but do you guys think it’s almost too big?

This is going to be exclusively for solo hiking and I do expect to be in some prettttyy rainy and windy conditions. JMT, West Coast hikes, and Rockies in the near future. Just trying to dial in the lightest options with the most comfort/security that make sense.

Sorry for the noob questions! I think I’m rambling, too. Shit

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

Hey Mike- for solo hiking I cant recommend the mld solomid enough, it works everywhere and always, but if hung up on a more standard tarp, i would go with a mld grace tarp. Pair either with a bug bivy,  and youre good

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Mike, I have not used a Trailstar but it looks like a fantastic design. I’ve been very tempted to pick one up but the thing that has held me back is it’s size. There were plenty of places along the JMT where I had trouble finding adequate space for a ZPacks Duplex. I’m concerned a Trailstar would be more limiting. Please read up on the differences in pitching silnylon vs. cuben Trailstars… The cuben version likes a perfect flat pitch and that’s about it. Most people seem to prefer the silnylon version.

I agree with Andrew’s recommendations make sense, as would a Patrol.

I’m a noob at tarping, I’ve got less than two dozen nights under tarps in bivies so please understand the limitations of my experience…

i started with an MLD Bug Bivy (love it) and SLD Monk knockoff (too small, not enough protection unless I know I’ll be in the trees).

I picked up a SMD Deschutes. Good coverage. Very fast pitch. The geometry does not work well with a Bug Bivy.

I picked up a MLD Superlight Bivy. Love it. Easier to suspend above my face (it’s more tolerant of less than perfect geometry suspending the bivy off your face).

My teenage son got interested in tarping. I got him a Borah Ultralight Chest Zip Bivy. Nice Bivy too, simpler construction. The MLD Bivy has a few nicer details and likely better materials but they are subtle details.

Both bivies have silnylon bottoms. I didn’t see that the price difference made a ton of sense from a dollars per ounce perspective particularly when you factor in less durability. There are other places I’d rather save an ounce.

The beauty of the bivy, for me, is the flexibility to fit in between boulders in really tight campsites while still having big protection. I’ve discovered I enjoy sleeping outside of a tent. Also, it is amazingly easy to set up and break down camp.

For weather protection this summer for the boy and I in the Sierra I picked up an HMG 8.5×8.5 cuben tarp. I bought it because of its reputation for durability and flexibility when pitching. I’ve not spent a night under it yet but I really like how the storm mode pitch works. It’s very roomy inside and I’ve figured out it’s easy to make a door with my rain skirt for very complete protection. Any errant splashing should be caught by the DWR on the bivies but I wouldn’t expect much to get in. Here’s the storm pitch in my yard.

The other choice that still tempts me is the MLD Patrol. It looks like it gives bomber protection with the closed foot/beak and sets up faster than my flat tarp.

Michael
    BPL Member

@tjayblues

Mike P. …. the trailstar is a tremendous shelter and you will find scads of well earned positive reviews. One thing to be aware of … because of the geometry of the tarp the SilNylon version is MUCH easier to pitch tautly. I have a silnylon version and find it easy to set up nicely. You will find that people find the cuben version much more difficult to pitch tautly. Not that it can’t be done, but it seems to take much more user experience.

mike p
    BPL Member

@mike-plowright-2

You guys are great! I appreciate the replies so much. I’ll try and keep my replies short!

@Andrew Srna, I’m not particular about a standard tarp at this point. I was before, but was so because I was thinking about “well what if someone else wants to come!” but I have a two person tent for that. The Solomid looks great especially for the price. I do wonder, though, what advantages it has over the Hexamid.  I do love that you can get it with perimeter netting attached – I don’t really trust my DIY capabilities (plenty of time to learn I guess!) and that could save having to go the bivvy route for bug protection.

@matthewkphx
    and @tjayblues thanks again for the great replies!

I had read some concerns about the CF Trailstar but a few comments of “once you learn it you’ll be fine!” had me thinking it would eventually become a non issue. That said, I can see how the size could interfere especially if it’s tricky to pitch tight no matter how experienced you are.. and for a newer tarp guy, well.. I will reevaluate that option.While the SilNylon is probably great, it puts me at a higher weight then I would like for this solo set up.

The patrol looks great, but I’d have concerns about its size and I can’t seem to find a video review of it. As of right now, based off of the advice I’ve been given seems the Solomid+perimeter netting or the Hexamid tarps are the best option with the Patrol being a potential one depending on the size!

mike p
    BPL Member

@mike-plowright-2

So, if I were to go with this set up:

Polycro Ground Cloth (Bath-Tub DIY?) @ 2oz ~, or just get the zPacks Bath Tub floor @ 3oz~

Hexamid Plus @ 7.0 oz

Borahgear Cuben Bivy @ 4.45oz

I would come in at around 13.5oz and have quite a bit of versatility and comfort I think. The only thing that seems to be up in the air to me is if I should get the bivy for bug protection or try and rig up some sort of lighter perimeter netting.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Do you want to sleep in the bivy without a tarp while still having bug protection? I do.

Karen Toews
    Spectator

@ke53toews

I am wanting to buy a TarpTent -Notch – for solo hiking-camping this summer. The company is currently out of stock so hoping for some success here. Thanks!

Andrew Srna
    BPL Member

@andy-s

Mike- something to consider about bugs that i dont see talked about much, a cheap sea to summit net tent works good in a shelter, however most of the time though even in summer when bugs are thick, i sleep with a woven permethrin bug shirt, and pants (railriders ecomesh), wool socks and liner gloves, and a sea to summit headnet. This has worked well against both flying and crawling insects, just dont camp on top of ants lol, and I find it gives me good protection while keeping me cooler than using a bivy, this includes a bug bivy, even the mesh bivys hold alot of heat inside on hot nights. I realize however everyones thresholds regarding bugs are different. For me proper pants and shirt can take the place of bug protection type innernets, and also can be used as replacements for your windshirt/windpants. I havent tried the zpacks shelter you spoke of, so cant comment on that.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools