Topic

Trouble interpreting layers of fire history on CalTopo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trouble interpreting layers of fire history on CalTopo

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

CalTopo’s fire history layer is a nice feature for those of us who hike in fire-prone landscapes. The difficulty I’m having is teasing apart different layers of fires to determine which outline belongs to which label. This is important because I might have no qualms hiking through an area that burned in 2013 but I might not want to hike in an area that burned in 2020. The fire perimeters are clearly delineated but when you have areas that have burned more than once it becomes difficult or impossible to tell which label belongs to which fire. Anyway know if there’s a way to do this? Thanks.

Garrett McLarty
    BPL Member

@gmac

Locale: New England, PNW, Northern India

I think that the colors are time connected, so the darker the color, such as deep red, equals more recent fire activity.  There should be a color key in the lower left hand corner of the map.

lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

Thanks, that helps a bit. It’s still hard to read if you’re looking at, say, southern OR. I wish it were sophisticated enough that you could select polygons in the layer to highlight them, or at least that the labels followed the color system as well. Or maybe we just need fewer fires…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!