Topic

Traveling with Alcohol Stoves on plane

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Traveling with Alcohol Stoves on plane

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Brent R
    BPL Member

@bgregist

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some guidance on traveling via plane with an alcohol stove.  I’ve only ever used a canister stove, but am very interested in this alcohol stove: https://shop.mysurvivalpack.com/core-puk-micro-alcohol-stove

Obviously this screw top stove can store 1 oz of fuel that would need to be emptied prior to getting on a plane, but what about the felt inside?  Wouldn’t the smell of denatured alcohol remain on the felt?  Would TSA flag this?

Hiking a section of the AZT this spring and will be flying from OH.  Would love to get my cook set down to 3.7oz with this thing but don’t want to be stuck without a stove if it gets confiscated. Thank you!

Brad P
    BPL Member

@brawndo

It MIGHT set off explosives detectors, but I don’t know if it will.  I recently got randomly selected to have my hands checked for explosive residue.

If you want to be sure, take something that can be completely cleaned of fuel.

Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

Burn it dry of all fuel before you fly and you *should* be fine. Two days ago I flew to Seattle with a Zelph Starlyte stove (similarly wicking design) and had no issue with TSA in Newark. Fingers crossed no issues getting back either.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

As long as it’s dry my guess is you’ll be fine.   TSA allows hand sanitizer and booze on the plane in appropriate quantities.   If they grab it from you, you can always make a fancy feast or soda can stove when you get there

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Let it air out until you leave.  Put it in a warmest place you can find (utility room?) or, if you want to really eliminate odors:

Rinse with water (alcohol dissolves completely in water) shake/towel it dry, and then set the oven on its lowest setting (180-200F), and put it inside.  Turn the oven off and let it sit in that warm oven as it cools down.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

For refueling an alcohol stove, I like plastic vodka bottles – 375 ml for a medium-length trip.  That shouldn’t be any issue in checked bags because alcoholic beverages are allowed there.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I’ve never tried that David.   How clean does it burn?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I think David meant that he puts his fuel in a plastic vodka bottle – not that he’s burning vodka.  Everclear 190 in a plastic vodka bottle would seem like vodka…

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Copy that.   Thanks.

Jon Fong
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Remove the foam and pick up a bottle of hand sanitizer (70% ethanol).  It is easy to find but burns a little slower.  I do this all the time when traveling Internationally or by boat / plane.  My 2 cents.

Brad P
    BPL Member

@brawndo

Rinse with water (alcohol dissolves completely in water) shake/towel it dry, and then set the oven on its lowest setting (180-200F), and put it inside.  Turn the oven off and let it sit in that warm oven as it cools down.

Good idea for the trip out, but the oven part might be a challenge for the trip back.

Dan Y
    BPL Member

@zelph2

Purchase 2 of those stoves, one will be a back-up.

The raised carbon felt wicks that stick up will deteriorate quickly. The fibres will actually fuse together and prevent adding of fuel easily if not at all. Only the small center portion of the stove will be able to be used…the simmer portion.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!