Topic

Training thread. Goals, updates, questions, etc.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Training thread. Goals, updates, questions, etc.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 216 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Actually this is pretty common in most high schools. It has nothing to do with the physical or mental aspect of running, but the type of individuals that are drawn to cross country.

That’s definitely been my experience Nick.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

That was definitely my first reaction when I read the linked article –  these studies by their very nature potentially are subject to “selection bias”.

From Wikipedia:

“Selection bias is the selection of individuals, groups or data for analysis in such a way that proper randomization is not achieved, thereby ensuring that the sample obtained is not representative of the population intended to be analyzed. It is sometimes referred to as the selection effect.”

Nonetheless I love the sheer exhilaration (on rare occasions) I experience while running; the rest of my runs are sufferfests. That one amazing run makes all that pain worthwhile!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

^^^ it may be a little bit of both, like a nature/nurture thing. People that run may be of a certain type but doing it also makes them more  that way. Something along those lines but said much better than that.

I ran 4 days this work week and have not had any side pain at all. Could be not eating before I run or the belly breathing. The belly breathing…I am getting that down pretty good but it goes against my instinct which is to hold my belly in and make it just “go away”. Pushing it out like that is not what I really want to do but since I run in the woods it’s not too bad :)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I can confirm that the cross country runners that went to school with my kids were smart before they started cross country.  The geeks ran cross country rather than the cross country runners became geeks.  I use “geek” in an enduring way.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Our high school (in Italy) was only about academics;  nothing other than a classical education, not even sports. It was downtown Florence in the center of the old city; not an ideal running place.

My brother and I did sports though, just not at school. He competed, nationally, in Judo and I competed, nationally as well, in fencing. Both sports required us to run with others but training for fencing was about sprints, not endurance and I hated it. We would get back to the gym and my legs would feel like jello and then  pre fencing training started and then actual fencing. Talk about nerds…;)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Well :)

I was scheduled to teach wreath making today at the local resort, the same place I take people on hikes , lead kid’s camp etc.

This morning was beautiful and crisp and cold and I thought I would get to the resort early and try and run the 4 mile trail I have taken people hiking on well over a hundred times over the years. I didn’t think I could do it….it’s quite steep ( first two miles are up and then down for two) and twice my usual distance , but I had a glorious run. The belly breathing had to have helped. No side pain, no joint pain…I could have run more to be honest.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Kat, that’s great! It sounds as if your routine is paying off. Doubling the distance is big, so give yourself some easy time to recover and rebuild after the run. It’s always a good feeling when a run goes that well.  I am happy for you!

BJ

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks BJ!

When you say to give myself some easy time, does that mean more than just tomorrow? Maybe Sunday and Monday and then everything being good run again my usual on Tuesday?

I really appreciate the help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Leg your legs be your guide. When they feel light and springy again, and you start to get that itch….probably a day, two max. Or, until you feel like it.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

As long as you feel ok, just follow your plan especially if tomorrow is an off day, just don’t push the next run or two.   As Tom said, your legs will tell you when you are recovered from the bigger run.  Finishing a run feeling like you have more in the tank is a good sign!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Tom & BJ. Will do.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“Finishing a run feeling like you have more in the tank is a good sign!”

+1 It is the first sign that you are beginning to realize you can go farther. I look forward to seeing how far that turns out to be. :0)

Just pay very close attention to how ligaments and tendons feel as you progress. The cardio vascular system adapts much more quickly, and can give you the capability to push yourself farther than those soft tissues can adapt to an increased training load. They are poorly supplied with blood vessels, so the process takes longer. As does the process of recovering from injuries, for the same reason. Don’t ask me how I know.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“Just pay very close attention to how ligaments and tendons feel as you progress. The cardio vascular system adapts much more quickly, and can give you the capability to push yourself farther than those soft tissues can adapt to an increased training load.”

That is something I would not have thought before you and BJ mentioned it. I will definititely keep that in mind.

I ran yesterday, took a slightly different route, a bit longer but I took it easy. All is feeling good :)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The week.

Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday around 2 miles. No pains, all good.

Then now…since I am visiting family in southern California….I just ran the Claremont Wilderness Loop, at 5 miles. Even timed myself just for fun : 5.2 miles in 56 minutes. Half of it was uphill. It felt great.

Merry Christmas !

ps. That is someone else’s mapping of the trail. I just got it off the web. Looks like they hiked it.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sounds like you’re coming along steady, good job.

If that 5 mile run was this morning….we had some beautiful weather, eh?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I’m on break so I’ve gotten a lot of good runs in this week.

M- off…T- 5 mtbike/5 trail run…W- off…Th- 5 mtbike/5 trail run…F- 5 mtbike/5 trail run…Sat- 8 trail run…and I have another 8 mile trail run planned for tomorrow morning.  Week total: 31 miles trail running.

Didn’t do any strength training, only running and biking.  My typical pattern…I get so bored so fast with home workouts and would much rather spend the time on the trail.  Need to find a simple 3x week routine I can stick with.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

It was around 11 this morning. Not even much mud. Could almost see Baldy behind some beautiful clouds. Yes, some beautiful weather for sure. I was about to turn around at 1.2 miles of uphill but I am really glad I stuck  with it and got past that hard moment.

I thought about getting a hold of you or Adan since this is your stomping ground, but it’s a family time of year so I didn’t.

Cool trail but I wish I explored some of the single tracks I saw. Next time…

That is quite a bit of miles Craig .

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

That was a great run. Enjoy! Merry Christmas.

BJ

Anonymous
    Inactive

Your weeks of shorter runs are starting to show results.  Now that you have a base, you will naturally find yourself stretching it out from time to time.  It’s in the nature of the runner to do so.  Looks like some serious “up” on that route.  Apparently no stitches to harsh your mellow. Well done!  6 mph on that kind of route is impressive.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@BJ it was :)

@Tom
    thanks. I did get quite the second wind so it went fast..

That I am able to start running at 49 and enjoying it so much is making me feel really good. I have never been a sedentary person but running through the woods and hills is another level of awesome.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Get in touch anytime you’re around and want to hike, I’ve always got open time.
    You probably get more wet weather than we do; the rain is a real treat for me.  Today’s run had 5+ knee deep stream crossings where it’s only a trickle most of the year.  I want to do it again tomorrow just to savor it.

This week’s miles are higher, but I didn’t post last week and did about the same.  When I was at my best running I was doing 45-55 a week and would like to slowly work my way back to those distances- I need to hold here for a while though.  Of all the things I love outside, running has been the thing that’s held my attention for the longest and what I always end up craving the most.  I love the simplicity compared to everything else; shoes shorts, shirt, hat…out the door.

Sounds like you’re on your way to getting hooked.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Craig, will do!

Ran in ovals around a track…kill me now.

I have been spoiled by trail running now and tracks, pavement, city and or flat do not seem appealing at all. Sure, in the absence of trails it is still a workout and I should not complain, but compared to what I have been doing this was boring and tedious.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“but running through the woods and hills is another level of awesome.”

It is what we were designed to do.  Running is the most effective way to bring our body and our soul into alignment, at least IMO.  Biointegrity, if you will.   I’m delighted to see you get into it, Kat.  It will make a difference in ways you are just beginning to explore.  I look forward to being the fly on the wall for the journey you have embarked upon.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

“I am delighted to see you get into it, Kat”

Thanks Tom. I am delighted as well :)

I found this a fascinating read:

http://nautil.us/issue/38/noise/running-is-always-blind

edited to add this one too

http://www.cor-kinetic.com/movement-variability-its-relation-to-pain-and-rehab/

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Now this was a run! Started at the resort, did the loop up the hill then down to the bluffs and headed north to Franklin point, then down the beach, through the sand dunes and back up to the resort. Glorious. Running on sand was hard= good.

To top it off, just down from Franklin point there was a big elephant seal on the beach.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 216 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools