Topic

Trail runners vs Hiking boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Trail runners vs Hiking boots

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    robert G
    Spectator

@bert68ku

We are headed to Philmont in a few weeks (1st time ever) and I am having a moment of worry. I have been using Altra Lone Peak 4’s for literally hundreds of practice miles but because I like to worry… I am worried I should ditch them and go to my much heavier hiking boots. My feet love the Altras on my practice hikes / walks. Thoughts from people that have been before?

Don H
    BPL Member

@donh-1

Locale: Midwest

I am preparing for my first Philmont trek this summer.  Due to a running injury, my right ankle is weak so I will not be taking my trail runners.  I also love Altras and have switched to an Altra Lone Peak 4 Mid and have found them to be light, quite comfortable, good traction, and supportive.  Maybe check them out?

https://www.rei.com/product/139084/altra-lone-peak-4-mid-rsm-hiking-shoes-mens

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

Don’t change now. Whatever you have been training in, stay in. Philmont is stressful enough without changing to new / different footwear.

“Philmont should be enjoyed, not endured.” Moonshine

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!!!!

TAG in AZ
    BPL Member

@tagiam

Locale: PHX

The trails at Philmont are some of the best groomed trails you will ever hike on.  If you have been training in trail runners, don’t switch now.  You’ll be fine.  In 2017, our entire crew hiked 90+ miles in trail runners.  We didn’t have anyone with feet problems.  YMMV, but stick with what you are used to.  As long as you aren’t carrying a monster pack, you should be fine.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Yeah, if they worked on those 100s of miles, they should be good to go.

robert G
    Spectator

@bert68ku

:) Thanks everyone ! I’m going to stick with what I know.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

+1 to “not changing”.

But do you use trekking poles? I know that those have been a godsend for me over the years – esp. with tending to ankle injuries.

robert G
    Spectator

@bert68ku

@Matt, yes I use trekking poles, and agree they are life changing :)

David Barnes
    Spectator

@twindaddy

Philmont 2014/Trek 16. Concur re not “upgrading” to boots and SUPER CONCUR re the value of trekking poles.

Jeffrey Peters
    BPL Member

@petey091

I may be wrong but I cannot find a scientific study that shows that boots provide more ankle support than trail runners. Stick with the trail runners. I think Philmont has the perfect set up to actually do a study on this issue.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools