Topic

Topo Maps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Topo Maps

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Boyan B
    BPL Member

@groovygeek

Locale: San Diego, CA

Yes – Gaia, Gmaps, BCNAV, or any other app that will import gpx, kml, or kmz formats.

I would usually trace out 4WD or hiking routes in CalTopo then import into Gmaps. When I need a particular route I export the layer it is on from Gmaps and import into BCNAV. The only exception is dirt roads in the desert which are often not on any topo maps but are more or less visible on the hirez satellite layer of Gmaps.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

“Can I prepare customized maps in CalTopo and export them for use in Gaia?

RTFM.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

Thanks Boyan B!  Just so I am clear, I could export the entire map file from CalTopo, with all its layers, routes and waypoints, which could be opened by Gaia?

@Pedestrian
    …RTFM…what does that mean?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

RTFM: Read The F*** Manual. Very old computer slang.

Cheers

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

RTFM – Read the FINE manual :).

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

RTFM.  That’s neither helpful nor friendly.

Boyan B
    BPL Member

@groovygeek

Locale: San Diego, CA

RTFM – Read the FINE manual :).

I am personally more fond of Roger’s translation.  But I do agree that it should be used sparingly on discussion boards

Just so I am clear, I could export the entire map file from CalTopo, with all its layers, routes and waypoints, which could be opened by Gaia?

No you cannot export layers (such as Mapbuilder, slope shading, etc).  You can only export tracks and waypoints.  Yes, Gaia should read the gpx file that Caltopo generates.  You can then put it on top of any layer you want in Gaia.  I only own a very old version of Gaia that is no longer supported and find the UI rather clunky, so I can’t say for sure that this works.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

We were using ‘RTFM’ in the 80s in the computer industry.

Cheers

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I hadn’t used RTFM on a forum (aka Usenet at the time) since around 1989…..I guess I’m old…

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools