Topic

Too much snow . . . need advice on a CO trip for next weekend

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Too much snow . . . need advice on a CO trip for next weekend

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Bernier
    BPL Member

@sigeats

Locale: Southern California

So my buddy and I planned to do the Elk Park/Needelton loop in the Weminuche Wilderness starting June 30th and ending around the third or fourth. I’m flying into Denver, which is where my friend lives. He’s been talking to a friend in Durango who says the San Juan Mountains have way too much snow for us to do the trip.

Any cool trips within about an eight hour drive of Denver . . . without a ton of snow? Looking for about three days two nights on trail.

Any CO advice would be great . . .Thanks!

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Andy,

Take a look at the Rawah Wilderness Area, I don’t think northern CO got as much snow as the south and central mountains. You can access them west of Fort Collins. The Rawah’s are beautiful and loaded with wildlife.

Good luck!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Take a look at the Wind River Range (6 – 8 hrs drive, depending on trailhead). Or bring crampons and ice axe and plan some early summer peak bagging and snow climbing in CO instead of an UL backpacking trip.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

WRR. The SNOTEL at Hobbs 10,100 ft still shows 18 inches of snow.

Twitter post
    @WRRConditions
    Elkhart Park is now open. Significant snow still exists within the first mile of trail.
    12:46 PM – 15 Jun 2019

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools