Topic

Toddler Through Grand Canyon

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Toddler Through Grand Canyon

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Nick D
    Spectator

@deasy-does-it

Hey folks, been planning a mid-may trip through the Grand Canyon, (south bright angel to north kaibab) with a friend and my 4 year old girl. I’m an experienced hiker/backpacker and have backpacked into the canyon before and I plan to carry her on my back for the vast majority. Temps can range from 30’s to 90’s on average that time of year. While general advice is welcome I’m specifically curious about the following gear:

1) a lightweight tethering system that links me to her as an extra assurance she won’t fall from heights. Must be comfortable for her in and outside of her pack (no monkey backpack with leash that probably weighs a ton)

2) having a hard time finding some lightweight layers and trail shoes for her, any leads would be helpful.

Tyler S
    BPL Member

@tswoboda

Regarding layers… We’ve bought mostly Patagonia clothing for our 1, 1, and 2 year olds that we take hiking with us.  Price is a big consideration with kids clothing, but if you buy used or on sale you can usually sell it for the same price you bought it for.  Patagonia has everything from base layers, fleece, puffy, and rain jackets that mostly match their adult products.  I think REI has some nice offerings for kids as well.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have twins (now 14) but we did well with Lands End and LL Bean.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Here is my 2 cents.  Check cloths opinions with your significant other before committing to a direction.  I say this because when we took our girls to to the Bright Angel, I planned out the clothing only to be overcalled by my SO as she was worried that the kids would get cold.  Reduce your stress and get buyoff first.

Ryan Humphrey
    Spectator

@telvin3d

For a tethering system, a quick google search says kids climbing harnesses are fairly cheap. Should be comfortable enough for her, hard to get out of. Add an appropriate length of rope spec’d for her weight and you should be good to go. Just have to pick a secure point on you or your equipment for the other end.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools