Topic

Titanium Sheet Metal Sources?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Titanium Sheet Metal Sources?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

Can anybody recommend a good vendor for titanium sheet metal for MYOG projects? I haven’t had a ton of luck on ebay, and Dutch is out of stock. The obvious choice used to be Ti Goat, but it is unclear to me if they are still doing business (understandably so) on account of DJ’s unfortunate passing.

Thanks,
    -K

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

What size do you need?

Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

Hey Jon,

I’m looking for 6″-8″ width, a few feet in length, and .005-.008″ thick.  What thickness would you recommend for a 0.9L pot stand / wind screen? Also, very cool products!

-K

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

PM me.  I have CP Grade 2 0.005″ Titanium in 12″ width as well as some 304 Full Hard 0.003″ Stainless 10″ width

Jon

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

It seems Ti Goat is out of business, yes? Googled them but no hit on their website. See some Ti sheet and foil on eBay. Any recommendations for a reliable source?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Most of them are retailing stuff from a metals supplier, so they are going to be 50% – 100% more expensive. However, if you only want a little bit, that might be below the minimum order quantity for a metals supplier.

Right now ebay seems to be ‘not an option’ due to the total collapse of the air freight system. It used to travel on the passenger flights, which have stopped.

Cheers

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

I have bought Ti from LiteOutdoors and received good service. Same goes for folk I know of across Canada. Have bought other stuff but not Ti from Dutch. Good service from him too.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

McMasterr-Carr

Titanium Joe

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Dutch’s customer service is fantastic. Can’t speak for Ti sheets… Reach out to them if you have questions.

Kyle
    Spectator

@kyle-y

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Locale: Sacramento

There are many vendors on AliExpress. Last year, I bought a 0.1x100x500mm piece for $2.75. Vendor was MSL Tool Store. Cost seems to jump up significantly for 200mm wide pieces. May have something to do with the dimensions of the shipping package.

Shipping is slow, though, typically 5 weeks. Even slower now, but orders with various vendors  that I placed in late March are now trickling in.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

@Adrian

Did the Ti turn up flat or rolled up?

Cheers

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Was rolled up but easy to flatten out. I use it as a 6 1/2 inch diameter windshield that goes 3/4 of the way around my larger diameter pot. It hangs on the pot supports of my MSR Pocket Rocket with hooks I made form 3 paper clips. It extends about 1 1/2 inches below the level of the pot supports, so doesn’t surround the canister.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Sounds all good to me.

Cheers

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Just ordered 3′ of 10″ wide .005″ Ti from Lite Outdoors. $30 + $12 shipping via UPS from Canada. I’ll post when it arrives and give my feedback.

Adrian Griffin
    BPL Member

@desolationman

Alas, with the new Universal Postal Union rate schedules, many of the AliExpress vendors have put up their prices. My vendor (MSL Tools store) now wants $4.21 for shipping.

John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/

I got a small piece from Aircraft Spruce. They are aimed at the homebuilt/experimental aircraft crowd.  They may have too big a minimum for you however.  I had other items coming from them.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools