Topic

Titanium doctors! Can this pot be saved?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Titanium doctors! Can this pot be saved?

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Seam Grip?  You could probably make that even.

Buy a new pair of socks?

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Throw them away, do preventive maintenance on toe nails and be sure shoes are correct size :-)

Use seam grip when hole is no larger than 1/4″ :-)…..actually, a darned 1/4″ hole  might not have the lump.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You can make seam grip repairs bigger than 1/4″.  Use a plastic backing, then peel it off after curing.

I wonder if you could make seamgrip clothing or a pack… : )

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

@gregpehrson  Hey, Greg, is your pot bottom staying flat?

Anyone tried the quenching method for repairing warped(oil canned) bottoms?

Sorry, I have not yet found the video or thread on how to fix the bottoms. :-(

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

@zelph2
    Yes, completely!

Here it is in action on St. Patrick’s Day in the Berkshires, melting snow.

Thanks for your titanium wizardry!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Still have not found the “de-oil canning” video :-(

Over at whiteblaze there is a hiker that burned some food inside their titanium pot and wants to know how to clean the stuborn burnt crud. A member suggested to do the burn-off method. I’ll give a quote of the comment:

If you put the empty pot on your stove (do this with Ti, never aluminum) and heat it, the deposits will burn and turn to ash and can then be easily removed with a damp cloth or paper towel once the pot cools. There will be discoloration of the titanium, but this will not matter a bit to the pot’s function.

So, after I saw the comment I quickly advised against that method. Hope I was in time to ward off another pot disfiguration…..we’ll wait and see.

I felt inclined to bump this thread up to see if there are any more pots that i can fix 

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

For a low cost and non toxic solution, I would use equal parts of water and vinegar and let it simmer for 15 minutes or so.

Some use baking soda and vinegar but I would do the other first.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Or oven cleaner.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Greg, how is the bottom of your pot doing….still flat? I just fixed another for a friend.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

Yes, still flat and holding strong! Thanks so much, Dan!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

[QUOTE=”zelph, post: 1341971, member: 7946″]

Water froze in one of my aluminum pots and caused it to bulge out as your pot did. I applied pressure with my  thumbs to the outer edge of it’s bottom and worked my way around until it went back into a usable pot. A slight concave but usable. Pot diameter was about 5 inches. The same process might work with Ti. Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained

[/QUOTE]

peter v
    BPL Member

@peter-v

bottom of pot pooching out ? no big deal. find a piece of pipe the right size, cut pipe off square, slip pot over pipe, and (using a thin piece of wood for less denting) hammer it back to shape.

now, what shape might we want. flat ? ya sure, i guess, but one can do better. because if using a vortex burner type stove, a single drop of condensation water dripping off of Mr pot, can land in the burner area and blow up, which then puts out the vortex. think john wayne, red addair, and kuwait. if one makes their pot bottoms convex, then the exterior condensation drains off to the sides, where it falls off and no re-light needed.

all my titi pots eventually wanted some loving attention to their bottoms. we’ll just leave that the way it reads, eh ?

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools