Topic

Tide forecasts for the Lost Coast

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Tide forecasts for the Lost Coast

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

What is a good resource for tide forecasts for the Lost Coast? I am looking to go sometime during the last week of March. I don’t like what I have found with my Google searches.

Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Get the info pack from the BLM office in Arcata when you apply for your now required permit.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, I use that for La Push for the Olympic Peninsula.  There are places you can only get by for 3 hours either side of low tide

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@link

thank you!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

If you are carrying a phone, the TideTrac app is extremely useful. If out of cell range you will have to buy the app ($3) to cache tide tables (add to ‘favorites’), but you can access all NOAA tide data through it in a nicely presented format. It also shows moon and sun rise/set info. Living and traveling in coastal AK, I use it all the time. There are other similar apps to explore. “Tide Alert” looks like a nice one and it’s free.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@philip-ak  I didn’t even think about apps!!! Thanks

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

In my town (and definitely in Philip’s Kodiak), every store has little tide-table books for free at the check-out counter (like stores used to offer a book of matches).  I keep it in the car, but I snap a pic of this month and next month, make those photos “favorites” and can then pull it up quickly on my phone.

And/or just tear out this month’s page and tuck it in your wallet.

Look in bait/tackle shops, Sportman’s Warehouse, Walmart, and chandleries like WestMarine for such free little books for your region.  They’ll cover 8-12 different locations in the area and have correction factors for many more locations.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Tide forecasts are just that – forecasts. Actual water levels can be higher or lower depending on waves, winds, and currents.

Most forecasts are based on astronomical positions of the Moon and Sun, plus fixed local corrections from historical tide gages and other observations.

On some beaches and cliffs, a foot can make a big difference. Don’t bet your safety on that difference. Be safe, be conservative.

Or be prepared for surf swimming with a pack on your back :-(

— Rex

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

Locale: California

I’ve hiked it a couple times – the coast and the range.  Maybe you’ve already gone, but I was just going to say look out for ticks.  I got bit by a bunch there in the early 2000s in Spring.

Based on the flu like symptoms and weird rash I had in the week afterwards (which I stupidly ignored), and the reoccurring rash and severe chronic symptoms I had much later, I may have contracted something.  Most doctors told me there was no such thing as Lyme disease in California (some told me I was basically crazy).  Other’s gave me more detailed blood work that seemed to indicate something, but I didn’t know who to believe.  Long Story short, I had all sorts of classic Lyme symptoms like joint pain. and worse.  Felt sick on and off for years.  Tried heavy duty antibiotic injections, etc.  Not sure if I was ever “cured” or what was wrong in the first place.  Fortunately the severe pain i had in my knees went away, and I found getting back into running and hiking again the only “cure”  for my other symptoms. I stopped going to doctors after a neurologist screwed up on a spinal tap, and was offering me whatever random drugs to get me out of his hair.

I’m careful in tick territory now.

Apparently a lot people think tick-borne disease is fake.  Or the idea of untreated infections leading to chronic disease is fake.  I gave up on the subject and decided not to talk about it anymore or speculate – but every once in a while I feel like warning someone…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools