Topic

Three Sierra quickies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Three Sierra quickies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

Placeholder

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

My family headed up to Mammoth Lakes in late September, as has become established tradition in our family.

On trips like this, I spend about 2/3rds time being a responsible parent enjoying quality time with our kids, and 1/3rds time bounding around the wilderness.

This is not a parenting forum, so I’ll focus on the wilderness bounding.

I spent four days on dayhikes; below are trip reports from three of tho–

Dayhikes, Adam? Do you know what website you’re on?

Well, yes. But these would make good overnight trips.

May I continue?

Fine.

Here are trip reports from three of the hikes. I haven’t written the fourth up yet, and now I think the statute of limitations may have passed where I don’t remember enough to write it up. So–perhaps it’s forthcoming, perhaps not.

These are all shamelessly linked to the blog where I write such things, but the blog is not monetized in any way; if there are ads, it’s because I have the free version of the blog software, and I guess ads are the price of not paying any other price.

Without further ado, allow me to present:

1. A quickie on the Crest
    A brief romp along the Mammoth Crest, from Horseshoe Lake, to the crest, then south to Duck Pass, and back to civilization: https://ontheswitchbacks.wordpress.com/2018/10/12/quickie-on-the-mammoth-crest/

Mammoth views on the Mammoth Crest

Deer Lakes, and Yosemite beyond

2. Nancy and the Minarets
    The SHR from Devils Postpile over Nancy Pass, then to Minaret, Cecile and Iceberg Lakes, before turning back and returning to Devils Postpile on the JMT: https://ontheswitchbacks.wordpress.com/2018/10/14/nancy-and-the-minarets/

Vestiges of the Lions Fire creating hazy haze over Superior Lake

No icebergs in Iceberg Lake this year

3. The Infamous Snow Tongue
    North Lake over Piute Pass, then the SHR over Snow Tongue Pass; contouring above Evolution Valley before climbing out over Lamarck Col, and returning to the trailhead: https://ontheswitchbacks.wordpress.com/2018/10/17/the-infamous-snow-tongue/

Morning serenity at Muriel Lake

Peering over the drop-off to Evolution Valley, towards Emerald Peak

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Good stuff, Adam. I enjoyed reading these and I am impressed by your definition of a dayhike!

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“3. The Infamous Snow Tongue
    North Lake over Piute Pass, then the SHR over Snow Tongue Pass; contouring above Evolution Valley before climbing out over Lamarck Col, and returning to the trailhead: https://ontheswitchbacks.wordpress.com/2018/10/17/the-infamous-snow-tongue/”

I really enjoyed this one, Adam.  What a great route for a dayhike.  A friend and I did the initial section of your route as far as the turnoff to Darwin Bench/Canyon as part of a longer section hike of the SHR back in 2012, and found it to be the most enjoyable part of the entire trip.  The views as you traverse above Evolution Valley are, as you said, spectacular.  I personally enjoyed the mirco route finding on the traverse above Evolution Valley, but can understand why it might have proven a bit tedious when you were on a fairly tight schedule.  Anyway, thanks for a great TR, and bringing back fond memories.  I totally agree, BTW, with your impression of Snow Finger Col.  Not really all that big a deal.

Looking forward to your next TR.

Francis DeRoos
    BPL Member

@fderoos

These are fantastic Adam.  I’ve just finished a 11 k walk in the snowy woods near my home which has got me itching to plan my next trip and I stumbled upon your wonderful adventures.  Thank you very much.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Some killer dayhikes. I don’t think I could go that far.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

All–Thanks for the feedback! I had forgotten that I posted these :).

Maybe I’ve stirred the motivation to scrawl out the TR for that fourth hike…

Tom–I think mindset is key when encountering things like that traverse. I was mentally steeled for a tedious traverse, and lo and behold, that is what I found. If I went in ready to face a fun puzzle, the hike would have been no different, but my outlook may have… which is what matters most, of course.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“I think mindset is key when encountering things like that traverse. I was mentally steeled for a tedious traverse, and lo and behold, that is what I found. If I went in ready to face a fun puzzle, the hike would have been no different, but my outlook may have… which is what matters most, of course.”

Spot on, Adam, IMO.  But that is not always easy to achieve, particularly when you are young and capable of covering a lot of territory in a day.  If my experience is any indicator, your mindset will evolve as you get older and slower, and you may find yourself more inclined to smell the roses along the way.  In the meantime, enjoy the burn and revel in the ecstasy of a finely tuned body performing as it was designed to do so long ago.  There is nothing quite like it, IME.   All too soon, those capabilities will inevitably begin to fade, and you will need other reasons to justify the hard work it takes to stay mountain fit at any age.  Clumsy wording, but I suspect, or at least hope, you will understand what I am getting at.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Tom said:

But that is not always easy to achieve, particularly when you are young and capable of covering a lot of territory in a day. If my experience is any indicator, your mindset will evolve as you get older and slower, and you may find yourself more inclined to smell the roses along the way. In the meantime, enjoy the burn and revel in the ecstasy of a finely tuned body performing as it was designed to do so long ago. There is nothing quite like it, IME. All too soon, those capabilities will inevitably begin to fade, and you will need other reasons to justify the hard work it takes to stay mountain fit at any age.

I had to laugh, Tom! I have recently developed a disagreeable hip. I haven’t been able to overcome it, and it’s meant about a year off of any real running. There’s probably a solution, but as I look at future trips, I start to wonder if days of infinite mileage are still in the cards. So perhaps I’m already there, at least mentally.

Those of us with the gusto and the genes to float all over the range in a day–we LOVE going fast, far, high. We thrive on it, and we don’t really understand why everybody doesn’t try to do likewise.

But–BUT–we also love to go slow. We just need the Universe to give us a reason to slow, first–an infinitely defensible reason, so that we can look inward and overcome the entirely self-fabricated guilt and shame of being someone who doesn’t explore six drainages in a day.

So, I think I’m okay one way or the other. I’m just not mentally stable enough to go slow AND be healthy simultaneously. Which is okay; I’m not alone ;).

I say all this half jokingly. But the glimpse into my future that my hip has offered me has left me pretty confident that I’ll be able to continue to enjoy exploring the mountains, whatever comes my way. It’s the mountains that I love, after all–not the mileage.

I have heard there are roses up there. Some day–maybe soon–I’ll catch a whiff.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“I have heard there are roses up there. Some day–maybe soon–I’ll catch a whiff.”

Would you settle for Polemonium Eximium?  ;0)

In truth, you are wise beyond your years, Adam.  You’ll obviously be fine however it works out.  That being said, I wish you the best of luck with your hip.  It’s way too soon for you for you to go around sniffing Polemonium, roses, or whatever.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

# 3 is a fun write-up and a great hike, but I would not be capable of doing it in one day!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Cameron, I finally finished the full trip-report on your blog. From my perspective you sure are covering a lot of ground!

brian H
    BPL Member

@b14

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns

[snow-tongue pass route]…DAY Hike, or LIFE hike?!

well-done mate.

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

“DAY Hike, or LIFE hike?!”

Yes.  ;0)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools