Topic

THINKING OF PCT SOUTHERN SECTION IN APRIL OR MAY 2021

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion THINKING OF PCT SOUTHERN SECTION IN APRIL OR MAY 2021

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Keith Fultz
    BPL Member

@in4life6

Locale: Central Valley, CA

Looking for insights and suggestions.  I hope to retire at the end of March 2021.   I am contemplating section hiking the southern section of the PCT   I live within and hour of the PCT where it crosses HWY 58 and 178.  Transportation is no issue.   I am wondering about permits and fires and I know that there is a 50 mile section closed up in San Bernadino mountains.   I am not a novice.  I have hiked the JMT and multiple hikes around Whitney (sumitted 23 times) ( I like the fishing in that area).   Any experienced folks know the feasibility and suggestions?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Ask the fine folks at the PCTA

https://www.pcta.org

They will know

Michael Haubert
    BPL Member

@socalmike

Locale: So Cal

I agree.  PCTA is a great resource, including info about permits and water, which is tricky in this area.

I highly recommend a book by Shawnte Salabert called Hiking the Pacific Crest Trail: Southern California, Section hiking from Campo to Tuolumne Meadows.  I have hiked much of the PCT in the area and it’s great, especially in the San Jacinto Wilderness.  The tricky part is planning your water supplies and being prepared for the extremes you will hit, which will vary between desert heat and high altitude in the mountains, which will likely have snow when you pass through.  You should be able to plan resupplies (at least) in Idyllwild and Warner Springs with their post office locations.  I’ve never had to do that, so I’m not an expert on that sort of data.

If you can’t get a permit that takes care of your entire trip, then there are many areas along this leg that shouldn’t require a permit b/c they are BLM lands.

-Michael

Keith Fultz
    BPL Member

@in4life6

Locale: Central Valley, CA

I was wondering how reliable water sources might be.   I can imagine doing 10 to 14 miles a day.   At 71 I try to carry as little weight as possible and of course water is heavy.   I have been dehydrated before and have no interest in risking that.  I know that is so variable depending  upon how much rain we get in the next few months.     But when is this bottom section from Campo onward the normal best time for access of water?

Thanks

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Depends on the winter/spring rains but the major sources usually flow.  There are a number of caches and wells southern PCTers rely on (94, Mikes Place, Mary’s) as well.  Guthooks is updated for this reason mostly.

Even with a good rain, there’s some water carries, though they can be mitigated with night hiking.

Permit wise the first over 100 miles requires a PCTA permit or the Clevelands developed site only permit.  Think one is needed for San Jacinto too.  That’s about it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools