Topic

Thermarest Sit Pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thermarest Sit Pad

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Just got a Thermaest sit pad. ($14.95) I promptly cut into two pieces along the center fold line. Each half is plenty big for (most) butts. I love sit pads for backpacking and hunting. They make life more “bearable” after a long day on the trail or on the deer stand.

CAVEAT:  This pad, while comfortable and “closed cell” has many pockets moulded in. Yes, they are responsible for its cushiness  and compactness when folded but they also hold water and snow. Knock the moisture off before sitting.

Jus’ saying’…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

+1

Or a kneeling pad at the garden center for even less.

or “Set of 4 – Foam Kneeling Pads Garden Knee Mat” on Amazon for $7.51 for four with free shipping.

No pockets to hold snow or water.

I’ve used them as sit pads, stadium seats during high-school meets, standing pads (yeah, it helps in the snow while watching a ski meet), and padding for minimalist day packs.  On tropical vacations, I’ve tucked one under my rash guard for a little more buoyancy while snorkeling.

“I promptly cut into two pieces” – you could cut each of those in half and, you know, “turn the other cheek”.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Eric-

Are you referring to the Z-seat?:

http://amzn.to/2ajUx3J

I use this as well, cut in half.  I clip the corners on the 1/2 and it replaces the 1/8″ thick back pad in my EH Kalais.

Owen McMurrey
    Spectator

@owenm

Locale: SE US

I didn’t care for how the Z seat folds down, and prefer my chopped ZLite small, which was big enough to make two. Width(length, as stored) was cut to fit the mesh pocket on the rear of my Exos packs, with room on either side for rain gear, water filtration, etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools