Topic

There's a bear in your camp, what do you do?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion There's a bear in your camp, what do you do?

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

We have grizzlies in the Southeast mountains of TN and NC.  This is one I saw on my trip in June 2018—

Why do I call these guys grizzlies?  Because they keep the wilderness WILD and can kill you quick.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I hoisted Brenda onto my shoulders (her usual way to be carried) and walked down to the bathroom, ending the encounter.”

I think I definitely would have needed the bathroom after that! Great story, thanks for sharing.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

During that first bear encounter of mine 40 years ago and subsequent times when I was leading trips in the Sierra (not all clients follow all your instructions), the bear always went for the pack with the salami in it.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

A good reason for your friends to pack it (or your wife.)

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

The times I’ve heard something nosing around camp I’ve just shouted “Get, Bear!” and whatever it was went away.  No idea if any actually were bears, though.  I have probably amused a lot of chipmunks over the years.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I camp without shelter about half the time (when it’s not raining).  Occasionally a rodent runs across me, at least I assume that’s what it is.

Anyone see this:

YouTube video

http://www.ktvq.com/story/38586008/video-extra-hikers-in-canada-encounter-large-grizzly

grizz approached walking on the trail in the opposite direction, humans backed up a little, grizz circled around off trail around the humans, got back onto the trail and continued along it’s way.

I’ve done that with deer before.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Erin hasn’t been on BPL for a while, but he’s what she and Hig did when a grizzly came into their camp in far western Alaska:

YouTube video

Make sure your Pampers are on tightly.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

This is a fun thread. I’ve only had a few bear encounters that mostly involved black bears high-tailing it off the trail.

I have however had one encounter near middle Vidette meadows where a frikking LARGE bear stood its ground and even closed the distance before slowly lumbering off trail. It was a painfully long encounter. I spoke. I dropped my pack to my shoulder. I raised my voice after a few minutes. None of it seemed to work. The bear was habituated and not phased.

In the Canada video posted above a commenter mentions you should get off trail on the uphill side (like for horses). Is that an established protocol to follow? Any other tips like that?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

In the Canada video posted above a commenter mentions you should get off trail on the uphill side (like for horses). Is that an established protocol to follow?

You’re supposed to get off on the downhill side for horses.

Christopher *
    Spectator

@cfrey-0

Locale: US East Coast

Sorry. I worded that completely wrong from what my brain was saying.

I meant to say is it true that in the same manner that there is an appropriate side to get off trail to allow horses to pass (downhill) is it true that there is also an appropriate side for letting bears pass (uphill)?

Herman
    BPL Member

@hre814

Locale: Alaska

Had one black bear come into camp (Alaska) while my son and I were playing hide and seek (wooded area). 15-20 yards out and my son points over my shoulder and says “Dad bear!”  Drew the revolver, started yelling at it, and it started scampering up hill, then threw some rocks right at it as it exited the area. Ran away.

Had a Kodiak brown bear start trotting right at our camp, just like the video above, except no where near as close. At about 50 yds my hunting partner put a .44 round right off to its side and it turned and exited the area.

Had a brown bear come right at our camp across a stream while floating the Alagnak, to within about 15-20 yds. Yelled, made ourselves look bigger, gun drawn, and it lost its curiosity and turned away.

That video above is chilling. That is close. Real close. If I was by myself I’d consider shooting (Glock 10 mm with 15 rounds) especially when it turned broadside but wasn’t necessarily leaving the area. With 2 or more, the size thing or multiple modalities (gun, spray, voices) can help. Alone, that bear could be on you in no time.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I’ve been teaching in Spain….now back, and with access to my computer, here are our best bear stories…

The Easy Opening Volvo

There was a time when we spent a week at Lassen Volcanic National Park every summer.  We love the place, and compared to some of the other parks in California, Lassen really is undiscovered.

This was in the days when we car-camped with the kids, and we usually stayed at Manzanita Lake Campground.  This was before bear boxes.

The first day we arrived, we set up our camp and had a lovely visit to the lake.  At dinner, we grilled some sausages on the BBQ, opened a bottle of wine, and had a delicious dinner on the picnic table.

Manzanita Lake is over 5,000 feet in elevation, and we always feel quite sleepy that first night.  We tidied up our campsite, put all the food carefully into our Volvo station wagon, tumbled into bed by about 9:20, and were fast asleep in minutes.

As we slept, we kept hearing odd noises outside.  Our older daughter actually expressed some concern about them, but to me they just sounded like someone trying to break up firewood by leveraging it between two trees.  Creaking and breaking noises.

After a while, the noises stopped, and we all fell into a deeper slumber.

That’s when our neighbors from Sweden woke us up.

“Excuse me,” they said.  “I think you  have a problem with your car.”

Hmmm.  That didn’t sound good.

It turns out that a large mother bear had climbed onto the top of our car, and had pulled open the sunroof.  With  one paw on the roof, she had used the other paw to peel back the sunroof like a tin of sardines.

She was too big to climb into the car through the opening, and so had finally given up.  But the car was now wide open to raccoons or any other animal who wanted to visit, and so we knew we had to come up with a plan.

With our youngest daughter still asleep in the tent, we threw everything else into the car.  At the last moment, we woke her up and tossed her sleeping bag in, and the tent on top.  And we drove down to Redding to find a motel for the night.

The next morning we visited a rental car company, where we rented a nice Ford Explorer and headed back up into the park.  After all, we only had one week of vacation, and we weren’t about to kiss it goodbye.

As we entered the park, the ranger at the entrance station warned us about bear activity.  “You know,” she said, “last night a bear peeled open a Volvo station wagon to get at the food inside!”

We know,” we replied.  “That was our Volvo!”

Epilogue: 

At the end of the week, we returned our rental car and picked up our Volvo to drive it home.  I got on top of the sunroof and jumped up and down with all my might and weight.  I couldn’t budge it a millimeter.  We drove home with the roof peeled back–by a bear using only one paw.

The next year, Lassen installed bear boxes in its campgrounds.  We’d like to think we are responsible for that.

Packs and People

In the good old days (ca. 1971), before they had installed bear boxes in the backcountry, My sister and I once did a pack trip into the Little Yosemite Valley, then camping at Merced Lake.  This was an active bear area, but we were prepared, and not worried.

In the evening,  we were cooking dinner, sharing a campsite with a group of three other people and a dog.   We began to hear the traditional sounds of a bear in the campground—people yelling, banging on pots, etc.

But we were not worried.  There were five people in our group around the campfire, and a dog!  Surely the bear would not dare to attack us.

Imagine our surprise when a bear arrived and walked calmly up to the campfire and helped himself to all of the food.  The bear walked right through the group, and we scattered as he did so.  The bear calmly ate the dinner, including some of the food in the pack on the ground.  And then ambled off to the next campsite.

And at that campsite, the bear coolly surveyed the backpacks hanging in the tree, and followed the rope down to where it was tied off.  The bear took one swipe with its paw, and cut the rope in two.

The packs fell to the ground, and the bear ate the second course of his dinner.

There are now bear boxes in the popular backcountry campsites of Yosemite, and bear canisters are required for all backcountry trips in the  park.

Those Fearsome Grizzlies of Yellowstone

When our daughters were early teens, we took them on a long road trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.  It was a epic adventure with lots of memories for the whole family

And of course we went hiking.

Each day in Yellowstone we would pick another wonderful trail–and discover that once we had hiked about a hundred yards, we simply didn’t see any other people.  Yellowstone isn’t crowded:  the roads in Yellowstone are crowded.  The rest of the park is empty.

So one day were off on another hiking adventure, our youngest daughter leading the way with me; and my wife and the older daughter taking a more leisurely pace.  And at one point, the pair in the lead noticed a big sign placed on the trail.  Yep. There had been grizzlies seen in that area, and hikers were advised to use caution and make noise.

We did.  The first thing they teach you about grizzlies is not to startle them.  So the two of us in the lead began to chat away at the top of our voices, enjoying the conversation and also quite happy to be making the trail safe against any grumpy grizzlies.  Blabber blabber blabber.

After a couple miles of this we called a halt and waited for the rest of the party to join us.

When they arrived, my wife expressed some considerable annoyance at the noise we had been making.  “We’ll never see any animals with all the noise you two are making with that jabbering,” she said.

We smugly pointed out that we were scaring away any grizzlies in the area, and asked her if she hadn’t see the sign.

Yes,” she agreed tartly.  “And did you read the date on that sign?  It was from more than a month ago.”

Ah.

We continued, in a quieter vein, for the rest of the hike.

Bear Raid at Glacier Point

In the early 1970’s I was working at a camp near Yosemite, leading kids on pack trips and exploring this wonderful park.  At the end of the summer, A colleague and I decided that we were going on a grand adventure—hiking from Yosemite to Sequoia without the convenience of the John Muir Trail.  We were young, they were strong, and we had no idea what they were getting into.

Our route started at Glacier Point, and from there we were going to ascend the Illilouette Canyon, cross over Red Peak Pass, and then keep moving south, sometimes on lesser known trails, sometimes cross country.

So we started in Yosemite Valley, and managed to hitch-hike up to Glacier Point by the end of the day.  Not wanting to start out on the trail late in the day, we decided to stealth camp around Glacier Point so that we could get an early start the next day.

And the weather was perfect.  We simply put down a sheet of plastic, laid our sleeping bags on top, and cowboy camped; sleeping under the stars.  With a long night ahead, we were asleep soon after dark.

And were soon awake again, hearing loud noises in the area.  As we looked around, we realized that we were in the middle of a bear attack.  The bears, six or more of them, were racing each other to the garbage cans all over the area, knocking over the cans, and then wrestling and fighting each other over what they found inside.

In the moonlight it looked for all the world like a huge bear football game…and the players were not from Chicago.  They were huge, they were feisty, and they were racing from one spot to the next. A scene from a horror movie, to be sure.

Our boys didn’t think twice.  We leapt to our feet, grabbed our bags and packs, and raced for the only safe haven in the area–the restrooms.  It was a hard sprint, but I was faster and made it first.  I am a nice person, and did not slam the door in my friend’s face.  Once inside, we were both relieved to see that it was possible to lock the door from the inside.

What luck that the rangers had not locked the door the night before!

We spent the night in the restroom, resting.  And got a very early start the next day.

In the end, we never made it outside of Yosemite National Park.  My friend really, really didn’t feel good on  our second night, at about 10,000 feet at Lower Ottoway Lake.  And the next morning, he announced that he really thought he needed to turn back.  We hiked out that day, then spent a night in Yosemite Valley before hitch-hiking home to the Bay Area, where my friend found out that he was suffering from severe bronchitis.  No mean thing at 10,000 feet, with sixteen miles to hike home.)

Strangers in the Night

Now we are going even further back in time–when I travelled with my parents and younger sister on an epic road journey through the Canadian Rockies.  We car camped our way through Banff and Jasper, and then down the Frazier River, all the time reading endless Tolkein books as entertainment.  That’s me in the photo below…more than fifty years ago

But I was about thirteen years old, and not about to give up my mountain man image.  While the rest of the family slept in a small 15-foot travel trailer, I slept like a real man, nestled in my mummy bag, lying out under the stars.

That’s was the stuff!

It was a great feeling, until one night in Jasper National Park, when I awoke to find a bear standing on top of me, sniffing my face.

You might wonder what I did.

Did I mention that I was in a mummy bag, and the bear was on top of it?

I couldn’t move, even if I wanted to.  And somehow, in my sleepy mind, I knew that.  So I closed my eyes and pretended to sleep.  I smelled the bear’s breath, which reminded me very strongly of garbage.

Not surprising, considering what the bear had been eating!  I also think that the bear may have smelled that minty Crest on my breath…thus the investigation.)

About twenty seconds later, I judged that the bear was no longer near me.  I opened my eyes and looked around, to see the bear rumbling off to another campsite.

I leapt to my feet and carried his bag into the trailer, explaining to my family that there was a bear outside.

Not knowing the full story, they were not excited.

Then I stuck my head out of the trailer to check on the bear.  And that’s when I saw a small wooly  animal scampering along the campground road, wailing for its mother.

“Maaaaa!”

I reported to his family that there was also a little black lamb out there.

;”>My family was mightily amused.

But the next day, the story was verified by bear and cub tracks in the dirt.

That evening, my sister and I were BOTH out under the stars, surrounded by folding aluminum chairs and rope–and holding our instamatic cameras–hoping to catch a photo of the bear when it got near.

(This is a true story.  really. And note that my father had worked as a summer ranger for a number of season in California…)

The bear never arrived.  Although it did find another campsite further along, where a mother and her daughter had gone to sleep with some food inside the tent.  The bear opened up the tent and ate the food, sending both women to the hospital as a result.

FYI–this is a great story to tell young campers who might be tempted to sneak a candy bar into their sleeping bags for a late night treat.

The Ranger and the Bear

My last bear story is also the oldest, told to us by an old friend who was a ranger in Glacier National Park.

Many, many years ago, he was stationed in a far off corner of the park, and given a tiny one-room plywood cabin for lodging.  Given our respective ages, I am going to guess that this would have been in the late 1930’s or early ’40’s.  That’s where he, his wife and their tiny baby were to live for the duration of the summer.  It was a beautiful and isolated area, and the only drawback was that there were the usual reports of Grizzly bears in the neighborhood.

With that in mind, the park service had issued him a revolver.  (This was in  the good old days, when rangers didn’t carry firearms as a matter of course!)

One night, as they lay sleeping in their beds, the unmistakable sounds of a bear came to them through the thin walls of the cabin.  And as they listened, the bear obviously smelled the food in the cabin, and started trying to push down the door.

Our ranger yelled at the bear, trying to scare it away.  The bear kept pushing against the door.

His wife starting screaming, both at the bear and at him.  In the pitch black night, the young ranger reluctantly pulled out his service revolver and faced the door.  He did not want to shoot the bear, but he would stand between the bear and his wife and child.

The bear kept grunting and pushing on the door, and it was only a matter of time before the flimsy door gave way.

With a heavy heart, the ranger fired a shot at the bear.  The roar and flash of the gun filled the cabin, except that the baby was now screaming.

No effect.  The bear was still hammering away at the door…only now it might be a little angrier.

He shot again.

Still the bear kept attacking the door.

His third shot was followed by silence.

He waited.  He listened.  He could hear nothing.

Now what to do? The bear might well be dead.  But it also might well be wounded, and just outside the door.  He listened some more.  And some more.  He decided to wait until morning, and spent a fitful night in bed.

The next morning, he and his wife tried to peer out the windows to see if they could see the bear–but they couldn’t see any trace of it.  Nor could they see the porch of the cabin directly in front of the door through the side windows.

With his wife cradling the baby, he took his service revolver and cracked the door open, just enough to see that there was no bear on the porch.

Where could the bear be?  Was it still alive?  If it was wounded, could it be just inside the forest, waiting to attack?

He cautiously searched the porch for blood stains, keeping one eye out for the bear,  and reported to his wife that he couldn’t find any.

His wife, still inside the cabin, said that she understood why.

In the pitch black of night, the ranger had carefully fired three shots.  One into the ceiling, one into the floor, and the third into the wall about five feet from the door.

The bear had left because of the noise, not because it had been shot.

But it didn’t return all summer.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools