Topic

The Tarptent Notch Li is Back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Tarptent Notch Li is Back

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Hmmm…

->Well. I’m folding my Notch Li, as advised by Tarptent. That should delay any deterioration of the Dyneema.

->After leaving my Notch Li set up for 3 days and 2 of those days in high winds with absolutely no sagging. I’m sold on Dyneema.  I used only 4 stakes and teh tent was tight as a dry for the entire time.

The quality of sewing, reinforcement and design is above any of the other brands of  Dyneema tents I’ve seen so far. I’d say the quality is on par with Hilleberg tents.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> What is the purpose of having two doors and two vestibules on a one person tent?

Views, ventilation, better pitch options and entry/exit in storms with changing wind directions.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What is the purpose of having two doors and two vestibules on a one person tent?

I would rather have more room inside the tent, where the floor takes up the room of the other vestibule.

I’ve never designed a tent but have slept in a few, so here’s my take:  You could let one of the vestibules be interior space, but you’d need more material for floor and inner (weight) and the most of the new space wouldn’t be usable human space (low ceiling).  You could tweak the tent design to have more headroom in that space, but to get good wind behavior, you’d end up with another vestibule beyond that space.  You could extend the floor and inner into that new vestibule, but to make it human usable and get good wind behavior…

ETA:  I personally think the dual-vestibule-on-1man-tent is one of the greatest inventions after the wheel.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

TT Notch Li

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools