Topic

The Tarptent Notch Li is Back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Tarptent Notch Li is Back

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

New info page was just updated.  It goes on sale tomorrow.

https://www.tarptent.com/product/notch-li/

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I knew I should have waited for the zipper version.  I have never been really happy with the original door closures. I wonder if they could retro fit.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I knew I should have waited for the zipper version.  I have never been really happy with the original door closures. I wonder if they could retro fit.

It would probably be better to just sell the one you have and buy the new one.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

That’s a nice update. Glad to see the solid fabric interior weight come down. The construction quality looks really good from the pictures.

I wonder if they will update the Aeon Li and silnylon Notch with the zipper closure. Seems better than the old overlapping design.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I “need” this tent but at over $700. Mon Dieu! That’s eye-watering, even for a tent design as refined as the Notch Li.

Yeah, I have the “disposable income” but the sticker shock is still sinking in. Maybe I just need some time to convince myself it’s still a reasonable price.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

> I “need” this tent but at over $700. Mon Dieu!

But it isn’t unless you were thinking both interiors.  $599 for mesh, $619 for solid

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

According to the website, there is an updated version of the Aeon Li coming end of month. Surely a zipper and revised vent are the updates, and enlarged magnet!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

wow, yeah, that’s one beautiful tent. It hits all the markers for what I want. I really like the inner fabric walls. They very much cut down on wind and I think help keep the interior warmer at night. Of course, in warm weather the fly can be rolled back. I like how there’s no “beak” but rather the fly panels all come down close to the ground for buttoning up in storm mode. Looks super stable. Very well thought out, as everyone else thinks too.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Ah Henry, THANK you. Here I thought you had raised the price for a “solid” interior.

I absolutely will order a Notch Li. At less than the price of a Hilleberg Enan it’s a good buy. I take back all my comments about the price.  Sorry for the mistake on pricing.

Ruby Crest Trail here I come.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I noticed that it says the Notch Li is now produced in China. Is that where the greater manufacturing precision comes from?

From the Tarptent website under Globally  Sourced:

The Notch Li model you’re viewing is fabricated from USA-made Dyneema® fabric and produced in China at one of the world’s leading tent manufacturing facilities and home to many of the world’s major tent brands

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Interesting about production source. IIRC, they were having issues with finding enough sewers in Seattle for DCF where other Tarptents are seen.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Here’s a statement I posted on the reddit r/Ultralight thread yesterday in response to the same query:

“For a myriad of reasons, most importantly quality and quantity, the Dyneema products will now be made where the Notch Li is made. The Seattle factory has lost so many people to Amazon that it was simply no longer viable to continue to make such a labor intensive product there. The Notch Li quality is absolutely superb and you will not find a better constructed tent product anywhere in the world.”

In more detail, Amazon has proven to be a giant human resource vacuum and we, like so many other companies with operations in Seattle, have lost a lot of people over the last year and a half.  It has greatly impacted our ability to produce enough product and, if you have been following our stock levels, we have been out stock on way too many models for way too long.  We simply had no choice but to find a way forward.  We will continue to make products in Seattle for as long as we can but the SKU’s will be limited because there simply aren’t enough people to make our whole line. Moreover, we have zero opportunity to innovate in these circumstances and when we can no longer innovate then the Tarptent contribution to the outdoor experience is over.

Now for the really good news. All the Dyneema products, as well as some other sil products, will be made at the new facility and I can unequivocally say that the build quality is amazing. The Notch Li fit and finish is stunning and I am very excited for what we will be able to do with new products going forward.

-H

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Good to hear that the quality is even higher in the DCF tents than it was a earlier – not that it was bad then. But it’s a shame that Amazon can come in and suck up workers like that from a local “cottage” industry.

I’ll likely dye the roof if the liner tent green for some more shade B/C I backpack in the Mojave Desert in spring and fall and will need some afternoon shade. And maybe when I add 4 fly hem stake loops they will be elastic cord to absorb some strain from the wind.

Mark
    BPL Member

@gixer

Henry

Any plans to offer any of the DCF tents in thicker fabric options?

Anonymous
    Inactive

* copy/paste, Now for the really good news. All the Dyneema products, as well as some other sil products, will be made at the new facility and I can unequivocally say that the build quality is amazing. The Notch Li fit and finish is stunning and I am very excited for what we will be able to do with new products going forward. *

My finger has been cramped up hovering over the Buy Now button for the Aeon Li.  Looking forward to sampling your wares.

~RL

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

How are Amazon, a notoriously horrible employer, sucking up human resources from what I would assume a superior working environment (I assumed staff got a respectable wage – though looking closely on the TT website I see no mention of being a living wage employer)?

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

<p style=”text-align: left;”>The Seattle firm that sews for Tarptent under contract is not owned or controlled by Tarptent. Maybe Amazon will hire all the laid off REI folks.</p>

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

<p style=”text-align: left;”>The Seattle firm that sews for Tarptent under contract is not owned or controlled by Tarptent. Maybe Amazon will hire all the laid off REI folks, too.</p>

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Ah, I didn’t realise that TT outsource their sewing in Seattle – thought they had their own sewing factory.

Jim Sweeney
    BPL Member

@swimjay

Locale: Northern California

I think the option to purchase both interiors with the tarp is great.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

The switch to production in China could have a major implication for buyers in Canada and some other countries. Any customs duty is assessed on the country of production. NAFTA rules mean that goods made in the USA are assessed zero duty, China will likely have another rate, likely 20%. Local taxes are then assessed for the new full value. Could add several hundred dollars to the cost of a tent.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Canadian buyers will be subject to an 18% tariff on top of the current sales tax (5-13%) for a 23-33% bill. That’s under Canadian tariff Chapter 63, code 63.06.22 which applies to all countries without a free trade agreement.

Even with a free trade agreement (e.g. the TPP with Vietnam) the tent has be arriving directly from that country, so TarpTent outsourcing production to anywhere outside the USA adds the 18% tariff for Canadians. Canada used to not enforce this very much, but in recent years they seem much more on it and 80-90% of the time it gets applied.

tent tariff

With the Notch at $599 USD, that equates to $834 CAD and then another $200 – $300 in taxes/tariff brings it to $1025 (Alberta) or $1120 CAD (most other provinces).

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Dang, those Canucks sure get hit hard by tarriffs.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I’ve owned a Scarp 1 for 10 years and can say Tarptent’s design and quality is top notch.

Looking at the 30d SilNylon version with a solid inner, it weighs about 6 ounces less than the Li with a solid inner. The SilNylon price is more than $300 less. That’s something like $50 per ounce more for the Li.

I’ve been using Cuben (or whatever it’s called these days) mids for over 10 years. They wear out quickly compared to SilNylon. There have been stories here on BPL of people wearing out these shelters in less than a year just by repeated stuffing into a sack. Plus slight user mistakes can easily cut or damage the material.

If I was in the market for a sturdy one person tent, the Sil Notch would be high on my list. I wouldn’t even consider a Cuben version, although it would look nice on a spreadsheet.

Abraham Schlossberg
    BPL Member

@ernda

Locale: Southern California

Maybe I’m misunderstanding but the silnylon Notch with solid inner is listed at 30 oz (before seam sealing).  The notch LI with solid inner is listed at 21.3 oz, already seam taped.

Silnylon version is definitely lighter in the wallet.  Can’t speak to durability since I have no experience with DCF tents.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools