Topic

The Perfect Backpack ???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The Perfect Backpack ???

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bob Currie
    Spectator

@oldman

I NEED your help!. I’m probably looking for the perfect backpack for me, which most likely does not exist. I am currently using an HGM Porter 4400 with many pockets ( 37# +/- ) which does an OK job of transferring weight to my waist. I actually require 90% to my waist. Even when I was young, I could not handle any weight on my shoulders ( headaches ). That was in the 1960’s. I started backpacking again in 2013 with a Gregory Baltoro 75 which transferred weight very well, however a very heavy pack. I am now 80 years old and do not have many years left to backpack. My base weight is 27#+/- ( heavy because of my fly fishing gear and I backpack to fly fish ). Total weight varies from 35- 38# with HGM pack. In 2013 I started out with the Gregory at 52#, so I have progressed some. I am seriously looking at a ULM Catalyst in size m,m. That was my initial choice before I purchased the HGM. I would like to think the Catalyst would transfer weight better than the Porter. THERE is my question to you out there. Does anyone have experience in comparing those two packs, Porter/ Catalyst, primarily their weight transferring capability??

I don’t know how to allow PM to my post. You can respond here or email me.

Thanks very much for sharing your information.  Bob     [email protected]

I

Gabe P
    BPL Member

@gabe

I’d give Dan McHale a call to see what he has to say if I were you.

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Or Kevin Timm at Seek Outside. While not a direct comparison, this thread may have some useful info:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/do-you-love-your-hmg-pack/#post-3403459

If the Porter doesn’t transfer enough weight for you I really think you’d be well served by a Seek Outside Divide. I don’t have any personal experience with them, but people around here love the frame system and it seems to be the lightest way to comfortably carry very heavy loads.

Disclaimer- my spouse works for HMG.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I love the hipbelts on SMD packs.

I can transfer all the weight to the hips with ease.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

The Unaweep comes close.  A tad on the heavy side.  But for the almost 40-lb loads you’re talking about you sort of need a frame.

I think the “perfect” pack might be something like the Unaweep made in full Spectra.  Which doesn’t exist.  I have a McHale on order.

OTOH, as you say you don’t have a lot of backpacking years left, so a Spectra pack is probably pointless for you, and the standard Unaweep is a great choice.  It’s still a damned durable pack.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

First…. kudos to you for continuing backpacking at 80. You have 15 years on me and I hope to be hiking (and living) in 15 years.

I have a couple McHales, but probably wouldn’t spend that kind of money if I didn’t feel I had a lot of backpacking years left, as you said.

This won’t be a popular option, here on BPL. I would seriously look at the Kelty external frame packs. The 48 and 65 can be had for under $200 and you can actually try them out at REI, and if it doesn’t work out, you can return it within one year. They are “heavy” at around 5 lbs, but a little extra pack weight, for excellent weight transfer isn’t a bad thing at all. I haven’t used these newer external frame packs, so no input on comfort, etc.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

“I’d give Dan McHale a call to see what he has to say if I were you.”

+1

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

I’m impressed that OP is still backpacking at 80.  Most of the posts in this thread have been geared towards helping him find a pack that will be more comfortable carrying the relatively heavy loads he’s been carrying, which sounds like it’s 35 to 40 pounds with consumables.  This seems a little strange to me since (1) OP is 80 years old, minimizing weight should be main priority, and (2) this is “Backpacking LIGHT” website.

I do understand that OP’s primary reason for backpacking seems to be fly fishing, but surely there are ways to go lightweight with fly fishing gear and still retain most or all of the goodness of the fly-fishing experience.  Seems like this is what could really enhance and extend OP’s remaining backpacking years, rather than merely finding a pack that can help carry large amount of weight.  The weight itself seems like the main problem.

I know next to nothing about fly-fishing, but I did just notice this thread about a “1 pound ultralight fly fishing setup”:   https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/comments/4klc8w/my_1lb_ul_stream_fly_fishing_setup/

Maybe link above is too extreme for OP, but surely someone can offer advice on ways to go lighter with fly fishing gear. . . .

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Most of the posts in this thread have been geared towards helping him find a pack that will be more comfortable carrying the relatively heavy loads he’s been carrying, which sounds like it’s 35 to 40 pounds with consumables.  This seems a little strange to me since (1) OP is 80 years old, minimizing weight should be main priority, and (2) this is “Backpacking LIGHT” website.

If I’m not mistaken, a lightweight base weight is defined as 20 lbs or less so with consumables 35 lbs is not necessarily that far. On longer trips, the weight of my pack is often between 35 and 40 lbs (with consumables). I remember that in my early years of backpacking, my pack weight for even a weekend was also 35 to 40 lbs but then without consumables. My base pack weight now is less than that 20 so I dropped at least 15 to 20 lbs or 40 to 50% of my base weight. I could easily drop to a third or fourth of that weight, but then I would have to give up things that I don’t want.

And indeed, this is Backpacking LIGHT and not Backpacking ULTRAlight, SUPERULTRAlight or even EXTREMEULTRAlight.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Bob,

I’m 73 with “moderately large” herniated discs at L-4 and L-5. So I need a pack that also transfers weight to my hips.

My most recent choice, and best by far, is an Osprey EXOS 58. I got a size Large so the shoulder straps would put virtually no pressure downwards. For me it is very comfortable, despite what some naysayers here have posted about it

Now for me this packs works well and can carry up to 45 lbs. fairly comfortably although 30 lbs.is my max on a 6 to 7 day trip. It is much more comfortable than my older REI UL 60 pack.

“KEEP ON TRUCKING’! “

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

You originally asked about the Catalyst, which weighs 3 lbs. That is pushing the weight of an Osprey Atmos AG. If comfort if truly what you’re after, I would highly recommend going to REI and trying one on. This is what I had before moving to a GG Gorilla and I can safely say that the Atmos AG is the most comfortable pack I’ve ever put on. It weighs a half pound more than the Catalyst but I am sure that the suspension is so much better to the point that you would never notice that half pound. I have no affiliation with Osprey and no longer own the Atmos due to its weight (my base weight is 7 lbs. so it’s no longer needed) but can’t say enough about how awesome the AG suspension is. There are some good reviews out there that agree with my findings:

https://gearjunkie.com/osprey-atmos-ag-backpack

http://sectionhiker.com/osprey-packs-atmos-ag-50-backpack-review/

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Get an Unaweep. Unless you want to buy a McHale I don’t think anything is better. Seek Outside has some used ones on sale right now (think they’re still there).

Bob Currie
    Spectator

@oldman

I want to thank you for two reasons. 1. Your patience with me for not responding until now. I had to attend to some personal issues which took all my attention and out of town.
    2.all your feedback which was very interesting. I was hoping for a cheaper solution than a new Unaweep. A McHale is out of the question. I was surprised that little was said about ULA Catalyst! I will be contacting Seek Outside when finances allow.
    Thanks Again Bob

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The Catalyst has load lifters and a more sophisticated belt than the Porter, but the guts of the suspension are pretty much identical.  Unless the Porter belt is ill suited to your anatomy I don’t think there will be much difference in load carriage.

If the Unaweep Divide is more than you care to spend it’d be worth looking at the Exped Lightning.  Depending on anatomy and preference it may not carry better than the Porter, but you can find it retail or buy from a company with free returns and thus try it at no risk.

Bob Currie
    Spectator

@oldman

David, The belt on the Porter is surprisingly comfortable and fits well. I feel he load lifters( lack of ) could be the difference. Bob

Todd Stough
    BPL Member

@brewguy

Bob my wife just got one of the osprey 65 AG packs.  The thing really hugs her hips and sounds like it might do what you are looking for.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

HMG’s been teasing about their 5200 expedition series for some time now.  Not sure when they’ll release them, but when they do I expect them to have load lifters.  And be a fair bit heavier than the 4400 series.

The Atmos AG has a pound+ of doodads and one of the worst suspensions ever designed.  Feels nice in the store, but it moves the COG away from you in the worst possible spot, and once the suspended mesh starts stretching the belt has to be cranked, and then cranked some more.

Nick D
    BPL Member

@stumpjumper

Locale: Santa Barbara, CA

I use a Circuit now for my heavier winter loads, but used a Catalyst for 4+ yrs. It’s a very nice pack and I wouldn’t hesitate for a second about getting another one. I’d also keep an eye on Gear Swap. It seems like an ‘almost new’ M/M shows up every few weeks. I’m sure you could score there.

Agreed on the Osprey packs – I rolled over to REI a few months back to see what all the hub-bub was about on the new AG packs. While it did hug, I didn’t feel like it road all that well (for the weight), and it would be way hotter than your normal pack since there’s so many contact points. It’s overbuilt in the wrong places for my liking. I’m sure it’s a fine pack though.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I like simple packs and Osprey is the opposite of simple. They have all sorts of pockets, zippers, pouches, etc and seem heavy for the hipbelts they have.

The Unaweep really carries well and I now have one frame and two packs, a 3900 that is stripped for week long trips and a 4800 for two week long trips. If I were buying today I would be tempted to get a new Divide (this years model is much better than the 2015 IMO) and use it for both, but since I already have the packs I am staying with what I have.

Curtis King
    BPL Member

@cjek420

Locale: Cascadia

I have an Unaweep and do most of my hiking with the whole family, so I usually carry 20+ lbs. A few weekends ago I got the chance to do a solo 3 day hike and decided to use the Unaweep instead of spending money on a lighter pack, so my base weight was 9 lbs instead of 7 lbs. I was impressed how well the Unaweep carried from 10 to 50 lbs. I also suggest getting the Divide.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools