Topic

The Pandemic – Good, Bad and Ugly for the Environment

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues The Pandemic – Good, Bad and Ugly for the Environment

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Good-> Air pollution has dropped dramatically with stay-at-home orders curbing land and air travel drastically.

Bad-> Money DESPERATELY needed to be spent on renewable energy will be missing due to the coming Second Great Depression.

Ugly-> Once again, like the pandemic, we will be caught flat footed as climate change races onward, destroying the oceans, terrestrial flora and fauna and the atmosphere.

IT AIN’T LOOKIN’ GOOD boys and girls. Maybe “the aliens” will come to our rescue – or just keep laughing at us. Don’t laugh, it’s really that bad.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

We can do hard things.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I’m just drinking scotch.  Seems to help.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

David, taking your lead I’ve been sampling my 18 year old Aberlour Scotch for the last few days. And you’re keerect, it does improve one’s mood – markedly so. I bless my nephew for that gift of excellent Scotch.  Beats the heck out of Cutty Sark.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

LOL.  Atta Boy.

Daniel M
    Spectator

@danielmartinez

Very surprised to see no new comments. I know things could potentially get a little heated depending on what you are but no opinions on what’s been going on is pretty surprising. I can appreciate people staying focused on the intention of this forum though…other forums seem to more active in discussing recent events and how it revolves around their hobbies/interests

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It’s pretty dead here.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Plenty of discussion in chaff.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Chaff is Life.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

I read a VERY depressing Washington Post news item on my phone. Former CIA officials say the social unrest they are seeing here, AND the heavy handed presidential response, is disturbingly similar to what they have seen in 3rd world countries that were “circling the drain”.

Hopefully our nation has the fortitude to rise above bad leadership and during the elections make a REAL difference. Then perhaps we will have enlightened legislators pass the laws that can, like a rising tide, “lift all boats”.

Election finance reform, redistricting reform, lobbying reform, “revolving door” from legislator to lobbyist reform, income tax code reform, minimum wage reform, health care reform,

And finally, and perhaps foremost, ENVIRONMENTAL LAW REFORM.

We as a nation are aching for these changes. If they do NOT come we are in for much more difficult times.

So VOTE, be ACTIVISTS and BE INFORMED.

Ancient Athenian saying, attributed to Pericles: “We say that a man who ‘minds his own business’ has no business here at all as a citizen.”

Don’t just ‘mind your own business’, mind your COUNTRY’S business.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Why do you think your generation didn’t do better?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

lol

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Seriously Craig. Eric’s generation has been running the show for the last 40 years.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe Eric’s (my) generation will have to die off

Maybe circumstances with viruses and police killing people and a con man in the white house will create enough clarity that there will be enough people to make some changes

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Or not.  Nothing really seems to change.  Hard to be optimistic

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have a hard time imagining that the changes necessary to steer things in a truly sustainable direction are compatible with the ideas we have about freedom in the United States.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Me too

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Sacrifice.

What’s ironic is that our innate desire for fair treatment is a large part of what’s hindering us.  Say we decide, for the collective good, that doing ________ has to end.  The second word gets out that a single person- or another other country- is still doing _______, the whole thing collapses.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools