Topic

The Overlook: Frozen Tracks – Monument Restoration and the Fate of the Upper Paria

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The Overlook: Frozen Tracks – Monument Restoration and the Fate of the Upper Paria

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

Companion forum thread to: The Overlook: Frozen Tracks – Monument Restoration and the Fate of the Upper Paria

Ben Kilbourne follows tracks in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument as its fate once again hangs in the balance.

jj
    BPL Member

@calculatinginfinity

Great read and important message. Enjoyed the pictures too

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Gotta say I was repulsed at the amount of and stench of all the human $hit and TP at the confluence of Buckskin Gulch and the Paria River. That was before BLM required “wag bags”. but I bet people STILL have-not got the message.

Imagine how much $hit and TP will wash down the Paria after each Buckskin Gulch slot canyon flash flood happens.

WHY THE HE!! can’t theBLM buy and service composting toilets there as they have done in Coyote Gulch??

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Ben I guess the old movie set buildings are gone now. Looks like it from Google earth. Here’s what you used to pass through on the drive out to the trailhead from 89. The Outlaw Josey Wales and lots of other westerns. Weird sense of deja vu.

Eric a group of us came down Buckskin one early May in the ’90s and camped in that one possible spot just up from the confluence. Somebody in a another small group had come in from the road evidently and hauled in a Spanish guitar and could really play it. So we sat down with those canyon walls looked like a mile straight up; you could hardly see the sky and listened to that reverb off the walls like we were immersed, enwombed. The guitarist quit and then the frogs started. Sorta like different musicians with a new instrument. Middle of the night a boomer cranked up and we could see the flashes but no rain and no flash floods. Magic.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

box,

So glad you had that truly magical experience. Mine happened in Coyote Gulch, IMHO a much prettier place then Paria. But yeah, Buckskin Gulch is an amazing place, one of earth’s gifts to us.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Eric…someone once told me that BLM stands for the Bureau of Livestock and Mines, hence they aren’t in the potty business.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

obxer – yeah all that’s left of the movie set are the foundations. Also, what a place to try and make a town. Floods kept wiping it out, so I hear.

all – Enjoying the talk of lower Paria too. Also a nice area. No contentious politics down there, though. Plenty of piñon jays too, I’m sure

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools