Topic

The max fill bare boxer challenge.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition The max fill bare boxer challenge.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I use PB2 at home occasionally in protein shakes but In the backcountry I want the calories from the fat. I haven’t tried it yet but yumbutter looks like a really good way to package nutbutter in a bear can.

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Powdered Coconut oil, powdered MCT oil, powdered heavy cream, powdered butter and powdered coconut milk and a few more I can’t think of, off the top of my head, are all 190-210 calories per ounce. I haven’t found any powders that have  higher calorie to weight ratios.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

I personally wouldn’t add oil to couscous before hand.

However, adding oats to nut or seed butter is an OK practice.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

You could make your own version of Yumbutter rather easily at home, and just package it in snack bags. Chia seeds hold well. You are simply paying a premium for a heavy duty squeeze packet in this case.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I agree about the packaging but a snack baggie of nut butter in my bear can sounds like a really big mess. Am I missing something?

That screw-top and heavy-duty bag look like they are worth a little weight and a few bucks just so my bear can doesn’t turn into a disaster. I’m all ears for a solution that is as tidy as this that costs less.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Terry, thanks for the tip about powdered coconut and MCT oils. I’m going to get some of those and see how I do with on those in protein shake mixes.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Mostly it’s just over kill. Buy packets that are flat instead. That don’t have caps. Like Justin’s and similar. Not everything needs to come in adult toddler packs…just saying.

As for making DIY, cut the corner off the snack bag, and use it pipe out. No different than how people frost at home with gallon bags……

Terry Sparks
    Spectator

@firebug

Locale: Santa Barbara County Coast

Matthew, for protein shakes, I recommend using the coconut milk powder instead of the oils.  The oils are unflavored, so they don’t add to a great tasting trail treat like the milk (or cream, same thing) does.  I also use the milk with Nido, mixed 3 to 1 nido, in my breakfast oatmeal and for an afternoon snack.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools