Topic

The Marvel Pass Backpacking Trail to Mount Assiniboine: Part 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The Marvel Pass Backpacking Trail to Mount Assiniboine: Part 2

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

Companion forum thread to: The Marvel Pass Backpacking Trail to Mount Assiniboine: Part 2

The author tests out some lightweight gear on obscure the Marvel Pass Backpacking Trail enroute to Canada’s iconic Mount Assiniboine.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

It looks like you may have had a bit of trouble. I think you might have stayed at the first campsite leaving more time to set up camp, cook somewhere away from your camp, and find a good bear bag tree. I think you could have avoided the sore knee. Anyway, hindsight and all… 21mi with that pack and a tough trail? You did great!

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

That day sounds grueling. The partridge story is a good one!

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Wow what a day! I fear the bears just reading this. Speaking of which, pretty ballsy to use a bear hang on a pole in this kind of area, no? Wouldn’t there be some benefit even given the weight penalty in using a barrel?

Emylene VanderVelden
    BPL Member

@emylene-vandervelden

James, I liked that first campsite but in retrospect, I wouldn’t have stayed there for the world. There was so much bear sign in that area…. I feel bad about the knee but fortunately after MRI’s there was no tear just some swelling in the joint capsule. Hurts like crazy but just takes time to heal.

Adam, I wouldn’t fear bears. I would respect them and be prepared for their presence. Believe it or not I’m actually planning to head back here to get more pictures next year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools