Topic

The HydraPak Flux 1L – A Smartwater Bottle Replacement?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The HydraPak Flux 1L – A Smartwater Bottle Replacement?

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Craig B
    BPL Member

@kurogane

Over time they leach more and more toxic chemicals into one’s water. Maybe Craig B ought to rethink his virtue signalling statements.

Actually, this is a very good point!  But it will also be true for the reviewed bottle, and all other plastic water containers.  I read a statistic that the average American consumes 5 grams of plastic a week, which is like a credit card.  We’re all pretty inundated with plastic, and it’s hard to get around that.  The ‘virtue’ I would suggest we all aspire to would be to not increase the demand for plastic by consuming new things and throwing out old things.  Of course I’m as guilty of this as anyone, especially since I make a bunch of my own gear which generally is not super efficient in terms of amount of material used.  It’s a hard problem to solve.  We’ve painted ourselves into the proverbial corner as a species…..

Andrew St. Pierre
    BPL Member

@astpierre

Locale: Southwest Montana

I really like HydraPack products and use the Hydration Reservoirs in my “day pack” and Soft Flasks in my running vest.  I like using a SteriPen for water treatment and so I sent HydraPack a question about using UV treatment in there bottle’s especially this new Flux.

This was the reply and thought it relevant to share.

“Thank you for contacting Hydrapak customer service.  We actually don’t recommend the steripen for any of our products.  SteriPens utilize UV rays and UV rays can damage the TPU film that our products are made from.”

Just thought I would pass this along.  Guess I will be using Ryan J’s Old Platy dipper method and my soft Platy’s for a bit longer.

Josh B
    BPL Member

@jbalisteri

Locale: Western New York

Looking to switch to BeFree so I’m reading this article now.  We don’t consider nalgene bottles single use. I think it’s reasonable to expect this to last similarly to a nalgene bottle. Therefore, despite the fact it can’t be recycled I think there’s a net environmental impact here that’s still likely better than single use water bottles. Your smart water bottle MIGHT get recycled into another product that then can’t be recycled.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools