Topic

Tent recommendations for Laugavegur trail – Summer 2018

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent recommendations for Laugavegur trail – Summer 2018

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Al K
    BPL Member

@aloncc

Locale: South Florida

I’ll be starting the trail on July 4<sup>th</sup>. From what I have read, it can be extremely windy (to the point they occasionally shut down the trail) from Landmannalaugar to Álftavatn and unfortunately, the hut is already booked up at Hrafntinnusker. Also, being that we plan to arrive in Landmannalaugar around 1:00PM (after an overnight flight and bus ride), I am not sure we will be able to hike to Álftavatn on day 1 unless the weather is relatively perfect (which is somewhat rare).

As such, I am in the market for a fairly lightweight 3 person 4 season tent that my friend and I can split up that will give us the most flexibility/confidence. Usually, we each take our own sub 3lb tent as we like our space/privacy but due to the extra cost and weight we figure we can share this time. However, we generally backpack once a year in the summer on typical Western US trails so I don’t anticipate needing the 4 season tent after Iceland. Accordingly, I would like recommendations on a tent that is generally available to buy used OR a very highly regarded tent that holds its value well and can be purchased new and sold after easily without way too much of a loss.

One tent I have been eyeing is the Copper Spur HV3 Expedition (https://www.bigagnes.com/Copper-Spur-HV-3-Expedition) weighing in at 6lbs 7 oz for $550 ($440 after 20% off).

Thanks in advance for your input!

Alan

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Alan,

FYI if you get to the trailhead by 1 PM, there will still be light out until at least 11 pm

I am not sure why you want to bring 2 sub 3 pound tends over a 3 person tent that weights 6 ponds, care to elaborate?

I can be very windy and I did go through a few white outs on the 1st & 2nd day: be sure to bring a GPS

I went 2 years ago starting in late June and we brought our Copper Spur UL3.

First night at Hrafntinnusker, we camped in the snow.  There were already “snow pits” dug so our tent was down about 1 1/2 feet below the surface.

My 2 cents

Al K
    BPL Member

@aloncc

Snow pits would be helpful, though I believe you went during a big snow year – so I may not get the same shelter. Also, if everything goes well I will be in Landmannalaugar by 1:00PM; 5:00 PM if I have to catch the later bus.

I am saying I would rather my friend and I carry one tent (3 person for extra space) that is very strong and weighs 6-7lbs than our usual two tents weighing combined 5-6lbs that would be much more susceptible to collapsing. From what I read, tents are often damaged by the Hrafntinnusker and Álftavatn locations due to zero wind protection (unless lots of snow).

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Have you looked into renting one there?

Al K
    BPL Member

@aloncc

Not really. We are arriving 5:00AM in KEF, renting a car and picking up the bus from Hella to Landmannalaugar. Not interested in going to Reykjavik 1st and waiting for stores to open and then return on the back end. Overall we want a car for maximum flexibility of seeing sights before and after our trip. All about the time even if costing a bit more.

Ben Kilbourne
    BPL Member

@benkilbourne

Locale: Utah

We used the Hilleberg Anjan 2 on that trail and other places in Iceland and we loved its wind performance. Solid inner is nice too for blowing dust and/or condensation. You might like the Anjan 3. Or look at the Nammatj. I’ve seen lots of photos of trailstars on that trail too. Then again most of the tents we saw on the trail were generic dome tents so maybe we’re overthinking it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools