Topic

Tent for big people

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent for big people

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Mike Whitesell
    BPL Member

@embracestardumb

Locale: California

I’ve been wanting to get a duplex but have heard from people bigger than 6′ that their bag touches the ends, especially if used for two people. I’d like to get some cuben mid style tent that offers more length for a sleeping bag that’s 6’6. I’m coming from a flycreek ul2. The reason I’m looking at a mid is because I’ve heard they can be good for winter to a certain extent. I do want one that has a built in or removable inner bug net and floor as well.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I’m 6’4″.  I recently shared a duplex with a smaller friend for a week.  It was a little tight but worked.  I think it’s good for one large person but preferably not 2

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I know you said mid. But you might find some offerings from

http://www.yamamountaingear.com

interesting.

Thomas Willard
    BPL Member

@tomw

Locale: Philadelphia

I can’t say enough about the Altaplex. I’m 6’2″ and husky and have plenty of length and headroom.

You will most likely get a recommendation for the SoLong6 and my opinion is to avoid it. It has the length, but when you add in a sleep pad, you end up with the overhead being close to your face. If you can live with that, the price point is cheaper. I can only speak for myself in that on several occasions I’ve moved the wrong way and a shower of condensations rained down on me. I can’t say the same thing about my Altaplex.

Mike Whitesell
    BPL Member

@embracestardumb

Locale: California

I don’t think the Yama’s are long enough. It would be nice to have some extra room so that the end bag doesn’t touch the end and my head doesn’t touch or come close to the top like in my flycreek.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yama will do custom length.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

The Tarptent Rainbow/Double Rainbow and the Double Moment all can take a 6’4″ person, more than that for the DM.
    This is my 6’2″ mate Chris inside his Double Moment

franco@tarptent

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Too bad the OP specified cuben Franco.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Yes,  he also specified mid style but as you offered an alternative to that and so did I.

To me comfortably fitting inside a shelter is more important than saving 10oz on an ill-fitting one.

Not that I am necessarily right, just the way I see it.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Mids work ok for tall people if they sleep at a diagonal but that is annoying. I have always wondered why someone didn’t make a longer mid (say 10′ x 5′) for taller folks. I am only 6′ but see the struggle if I were any taller.

Perhaps Oware would make a custom mid or longer Alphamid.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I sleep diagonally in a Duplex.  Combined with pulling out the end panels I would think there would be plenty of room for someone 6’6″.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I wonder how many requests Zpacks gets from tall people for a Duplex XL that can actually accommodate 2 tall people?

I’m 5’9″ and therefore it isn’t an issue for me, so it’s up to those who need it to ask for it… has anyone done this?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I asked MLD for a longer mid for years. Got the first version Solomid XL in 2014. 6’3″ and happy.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools