Topic

Tenkara Not Liked

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Tenkara Not Liked

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Just an observation.

Seems like there are at least 2 Tenkara rods being sold per month in Gear Swap. 2 this week.

I purchased one months ago and will use it in the fall. I like the feel of it and look forward to using it often. I read the book and like the simplicity of the system.

Christopher W
    BPL Member

@bisleykid

Not sure if people are selling their rods cause they don’t like tenkara or because they are getting new rods. For the places I hike and the streams I fish tenkara is perfect, although I prefer seiryu rods but the concept is exactly the same.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

With that logic Zpacks is liked even less.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Most sales have indicated “unused”

Maybe……..once the book is read, they change mind.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I purchased one and have not used mine yet. I will, come fall when I move south for the winter ;-)

You haven’t used yours yet.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

KT, good observation. I think I’ll sell mine.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Just another toy for the wannabes.

A damn fine tool for the folks who fish.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

A fine tool indeed!

I’ve always been attracted to a minimalist aesthetic and the rods themselves are beautiful to hold- light, elegant, balanced.  I have an Iwana and an Ayu, though I find myself fishing the Iwana the most, using the 9′ handle adaptation so it’s even smaller and lighter.  The sensitivity is incredible.  I’m also highly impressed that my entire fishing kit fits in a small pouch; mini forceps, tippet, a small vial of flies (a single pattern I tie myself), and my line.  Weight is irrelevant (though it’s nice!)…it’s mostly the simplicity I’m attracted to.  Tenkara really nails the freshwater fishing experience for me.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

“A damn fine tool for the folks who fish.”

“the rods themselves are beautiful to hold- light, elegant, balanced.”

“it’s mostly the simplicity I’m attracted to”

——————————————-

I agree totally!!!

Once I extended the Tenkara I knew right away that I had a precision tool in my hands. I have fished many many years and my preferred method is to catch them on the surface. The adrenalin rush can’t be gotten any better than to have the fish break water and wiggle to free the fly/popper etc. I’ll be fishing for pan fish in the backwaters of the Tombigbee River system around the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, DeWayne Hayes Campground in Columbus, Mississippi begining next month. I’ll be spending the fall and winter months there as a campground “host”. I’ll be fishing every day weather permitting. The Tenkara will be well used :-)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools