Topic

Tell me about your poncho

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tell me about your poncho

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Donna M
    BPL Member

@senderista

LOL, yep. Guess I was more tired that I wanted to admit. I’ve edited my post to correct to Gateway. Thanks.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

That’s O.K. she was the Gateway to the AT for a lot of women(and Peace Pilgrim, Mildred Ryder)

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I love ponchos. Living here in the PNW, I gave up on the dream of truly waterproof and breathable rain gear long ago. Good ponchos offer adjustment options to control airflow, control flapping, and keep you cool, dry and comfortable. As others have pointed out, there is a difference in how cuben and sil ponchos drape. I prefer the stiffer cuben, which I believe performs better in the wind and allows for more ventilation. Ponchos also offer multi-use weight savings and, in general, cost less then most rain gear.

I started with the affordable and venerable Golite Poncho Tarp. Mine is the older dark blue model that weights in at 10oz. I have spent a number of rainy nights under mine and hiked some rainy miles in it. It did the job just fine. No frills, limited adjustment options, average hood.

I then moved up to the cuben Zpacks Poncho/Ground Sheet. This is the best poncho I have ever tried, hands down. Great hood design, lots of adjustment options, integrated “belt”, works great as a ground sheet, especially in Zpacks hexamid shelters. It has performed exceptionally well in windy conditions. Sizing is an issue. I started with a solo-plus size and, at 6′ tall and 210 lbs, it was just a bit too small for me. I then moved up to the twin size and got the coverage I needed. The poncho has proven durable, with just 3 small pieces of cuben repair needed in the last three years.

I have also used the Gatewood Cape for the past three or four years, logging a number of rainy nights and wet miles under mine. The coverage in shelter mode is great and I have ridden out several storms without the need for a bivy. As a poncho it is good, providing lots of coverage. On the downside, there is almost no arm coverage and the hood is average. The sizing is generous, to the point where shorter hikers will have an issue. The size also makes it a bit more work to adjust in windy conditions and a bit more awkward to climb over downed trees or over rocks.

Finally, I just got an MLD Cuben Poncho this month. I bought it for my SUL kit but have yet to use it. Coverage looks to be on par with the Golite, workmanship is excellent and, at 5oz, the weight is great.

Along with my ponchos, I have accumulated some accessories that make up a total rain gear system. First, for prolonged wet, cool weather, a wind shirt is a great piece to wear under a poncho. Depending on the poncho coverage, a rain kilt is good option to insure coverage to the knees with good airflow. Chaps round out the system providing total leg coverage with some ventialtion. My cuben kilt also doubles as a small ground sheet I use for laying out and sorting gear when it is wet out, and can be thrown over my shoulders or head if I have to duck out from under my poncho/tarp in the rain for a minute. I sometimes hike in the cuben chaps on wet, dewy mornings to avoid getting my pants soaked.

If I could only keep one poncho, it would be the Zpacks. Should SMD ever come out with a cuben Gatewood Cape, I would buy it immediately.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“Should SMD ever come out with a cuben Gatewood Cape, I would buy it immediately.”

+1 to that

Donna, I have been using my Gatewood Cape for a few years now, and always choose it when I am sheltering by myself. While it’s a bit finicky to set up perfectly, I found I got pretty used to setting it up after the 3rd or 4th night. Being 6′-2″, it’s a little tight, but it provides just enough for me &I my stuff, and great coverage when I’m wearing it. Here are some other thoughts on it:

• I use two poles, and have found myself keeping my arms inside the cape during downpours. The poles help “float” it, so I feel like a walking umbrella. I’m sure it looks hideous, but I’m dry down to my shoes.
    • I switched out all the codds on it with Lawson’s glow wire. Much better than the stock cord it comes with.
    • I have pre-made tie outs for the higher loops, which I like to install. That gives a few more inches of head height, and cuts the wind better.
    • On those humid nights, I keep the hood way open, which provides great ventilation. I bring along a S2S nano net if the bugs are too much, and Velcro it to the edges of my pad..
    • When I’m wearing the Cape, I love having the zipper in the front. Good for ventilation and accessing stuff if my arms happen to be outside.

Clearly there are a lot of options out there, but I’m pretty smitten with it.

Donna M
    BPL Member

@senderista

Edward what do you use for your wind shirt?

Donna M
    BPL Member

@senderista

Thanks Matt, that’s helpful to me.

What sold me on the Gatewood Cape was the fact that I could close it up completely if I needed to in tarp mode. And of course the dual-purpose nature of it. I’ll make it a point to bring it on trips even when the weather will be nice and I usually just bring my bivy, so I can get some practice setting it up.

I agree the tie-outs it comes with are not great. I just went to my local hardware store and bought the only reflective cord they had for guylines. It’s a bit thick for replacing the cords it comes with though. So I’ll look for Lawson’s glow wire and order some.

Great tip about using your poles inside the poncho. I’ll try that. Hopefully I’ll become just as smitten with it as you are :)

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Donna: I have 2 windshirts. I use a Montbell Tachyon Anorak in the summer (July and August) and an Arcteryx Squamish during the shoulder seasons (June, most of September, all of October).

Donna M
    BPL Member

@senderista

Thank you so much Edward!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I agree with folks that cubens greater stiffness is nice for ponchos as compared to silnylon.

Viewing 9 posts - 51 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools