Topic

Tarptent Notch Li Review (First Looks)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tarptent Notch Li Review (First Looks)

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 126 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

But at the price of a Notch Li, should you have to?

Nope. But if you have one and want to improve the performance, it’s a quick, cheap, light solution.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Why not a zipper? Maybe a few grams heavier but more secure.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

When will Henry initiate a “Go Fund Me” program for me so I can buy a Notch LI?

Actually I may sell off a firearm or two and get the Notch Li  – and some zippers for the doors!

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

Not that my experience or opinion is worth much, but after having zippered doors on all my shelters to date and then trying a zipperless door Altaplex….

…I definitely prefer zippers. Enough to be a deal breaker for me.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Zippers are the first thing that tends to brake in a tent (or a jacket for that matter…)

So not having zippers had to do with that not weight saving.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

I think Henry would do well to at least offer zippers as an option.

Seems like most Li owners wish they had them. Jus’ sayin’

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Sometime the vocal minority will be heard over the silent majority.

Seriously , Henry has constantly upgraded the shelters to accommodate customer’s requests when they made sense in the long run.

For example TT has just announced the new version of the Double Rainbow with more shoulder room and better bathtub floor as well as a removable apex strut for those that like to stuff their shelter.

So I would imagine that if enough find the non zippered doors a problem, that will change too.

(it wasn’t a problem during the TT tests)

William Chilton
    BPL Member

@williamc3

Locale: Antakya

I notice that TT have gone with zips for the Stratospire Li. I wonder what the thinking was there, given Franco’s comments on zips above.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Notch Li mods I would do:

1. fly door zippers
    2. fly hem stake loops (4)
    3. fly guy points midway up from the Pitch Loc ends
    4. Maybe optional green or tan Dyneema fly??

All of these but #4 are for handling high winds. I’d feel much more secure in an all night windstorm with these mods. #4 is for more shade. Face it, sometimes we want to nap before dinner after a hard day on the trail. Shade at this time is nice.

Otherwise it’s a tent I could live in for 4 season backpacking/ski packing. I’ve done it in my similar Moment DW foe several years.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

The hiking poles that snapped, were they made of aluminum or carbon fiber? Standard 3 section links or 4-5 section folding poles?

Just adding data to my durability chart!

Cheers
    Bill in Roswell

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

@ryan

after another couple seasons and some snow, would you mind giving us an update on this product? Will this tent get a bpl recommendation sticker?  How did the magnets hold up longer term? Thanks. Hanz.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

I must have read this review at least four times. And each time I come away more impressed with the Notch Li. I want one but with a brown or green fly. Likely never happen as I understand colored DCF is heavier.

I agree with Ryan on several things like stronger fly door strap magnets and the partial fabric optional inner tent.

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

A post by Henry says the updated version is delayed until mid-late March. Anyone know what the changes are? Henry is mum. Is it worth the wait?

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

While no update specs for the Notch Li have surfaced here is a pic Henry attached to the delay announcement. Teaser? Looks like a 2-way zippered door.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

yes, it is. WP zippers.

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Thanks Franco. That’s a positive for me. Plus the ability to have big peak vents when not raining is something missing on some models including Notch & SS-Li. The peaks also look much more rounded. Is the default now handle up? Since the rollout is delayed how about throwing out some more bones to keep the buzz going?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

nothing much to say except that we are waiting for a certain production problem to be overcome then there should be reasonable stock available.

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

@franco You’re not the only one!

Any insight on said production problem?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Not enough tailors to do the job.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Wow, Ryan, you’re quick (re: the update a few minutes after we posted it).  Yes, the zip is definitely an overall performance improvement both with respect to wind and with respect to apex ventilation. The solid interior is now actually lighter then the mesh interior — we drank the Kool-Aid a bit and switched to 10D fabric for that given that it’s under low stress.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Wow, Ryan, you’re quick (re: the update a few minutes after we posted it).  Yes, the zip is definitely an overall performance improvement both with respect to wind and with respect to apex ventilation. The solid interior is now actually lighter then the mesh interior — we drank the Kool-Aid a bit and switched to 10D fabric for that given that it’s under low stress.

I actually went to the Tarptent site since I got the email about the Notch Li release. I saw the site wasn’t updated and got in a chat with your customer service.  The site was updated while I was chatting.

Then I came here and posted about it.  :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

I am pretty sure I’ll order the Notch Li V2 soon and replace my Moment DW as my 3 season tent. I talked to Henry Shires this week about reinforcing the stitching of the 4 fly hem stake loops I want to add and he said to order extra DCF patching tape and use that instead of Tenacious Tape for reinforcement. I want those stake loops to stop flapping in high winds.

My Moment DW would be mainly for winter now. With its shortened X-ing pole run under the fly and both side and end guy lines it has seen and easily survived high winds and snow load.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Does the Notch Li v.2 update mean the Aeon Li is also getting a door zipper?

Mark Ayers
    BPL Member

@philoserf

Locale: greater Grand Rapids, western Michigan, about the midpoint of the North Country National Scenic Trail

Thank you for the update. I looked long and hard at the Notch Li at PCT Days 2018. I liked what I saw but couldn’t pull the trigger then. I appreciate the thorough review. This us the first I have read since joining the crowd here. If they are all so good I have invested well in joining.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Wrong thread. Deleted.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 126 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools