Topic

TarpTent MoTrail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) TarpTent MoTrail

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I love the name.

MoTrail

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I love my Duplex…truly, deeply love it. But it was danged expensive and I’ve often wondered if faced with the need to replace it, would I buy it again?  Every alternative shelter I am aware of has too many negative trade-offs to make their reduction in price worthwhile.

This is the first tent that would make be consider not buying another duplex.

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

I don’t see the benefit over the Squall 2. Am I missing anything?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

@Theo – yeah it looks pretty similar. I think I’d rather not have that little pole at the foot end but the entry looks very similar.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Looking at the comparative specs: MoTrail is slightly taller, rectangular bathtub rather than tapered wider at head/narrower at foot, and a couple of ounces heavier.  And maybe a little more storm coverage (flap at rear, beak comes down lower in front?).  But yeah, pretty close to the Squall 2 as far as I can see.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

I don’t see the benefit over the Squall 2. Am I missing anything?

I’ll try to list the benefits/improvements

1. It’s hard to appreciate how much roomier it is until you get in but the difference is noticeable especially with regard to sleeping width and direction. Not only does the floor fit two wide, long pads–the Squall 2 does not–but it’s quite feasible to sleep with your head at the low end now as that end is 8 inches higher than it is on the Squall. That can be a nice thing when you’re sleeping next to someone who snores or whom otherwise you would rather not be sleeping face to face.  I took great advantage of that feature last fall using the MoTrail during a Wind River High Route traverse with a friend with whom I am not “that” close.
    2. Front mesh door design is a huge improvement. Circular zipper makes is easy for either occupant to get in and out his/own side and door stores high and completely out of the way.
    3. Vestibule space is dramatically larger and more protective.  Note that it’s now a real vestibule and no longer a beak with high edge.
    4. Rear storm flap cuts off winds and windblown rain not otherwise possible in the Squall
    5. Rear floor edge lifter/protector prevents feet from rolling into a wall.
    6. Much, much better bathtub and lower fly edge makes for no worries about sidewall splash.
    7. Full perimeter can be lowered to ground if you need/want to suit conditions.
    8. No worries about breaking the rear arch pole.
    9. Packed size is shorter and smaller (16in compared to 18in on the Squall ) and the top strut is much easier to take in out if you want to stuff it to whatever dimension you want.

-H

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

This Henry guy sounds suspiciously familiar with the tent considering it was just released yesterday…

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

Well I’m intrigued. It looks like a good two-person choice.

Jeremy
    BPL Member

@jeremynova

Locale: NoVa

This Henry guy sounds suspiciously familiar with the tent considering it was just released yesterday…

It’s almost as if he designed the tent himself…

Great looking tent Henry!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

According to the TT  Facebook page, one Henry Shires has made himself President of Tarptent, so I guess he gets to see the designs the TT CAD system produces before everybody else.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Congrats Henry! Yet another intelligent design. Do you ever stop dreaming of new designs?

Now there is a tent that has been very successfully tweaked (refined may be a better term). I once had a Contrail. This looks like a Contrail on steroids. I have a Scarp 2 for 4 season camping but if I needed a 3 season, 2 person light tent this would be it.

The fully enclosed vestibule is great for bad weather cooking in a tent this well ventilated.

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

Thanks Henry for explaining the advantages of the MoTrail! Makes a lot of sense, I just didn’t see it at first, not having an eye for details as I have used neither tent.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Has anyone picked one of these up yet and care to share their impressions?

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I considered buying one for an upcoming hike with my wife but have not pulled the trigger, as I too am awaiting a bit more user feedback from the trail.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Someone has to be first.

Kevin Schneringer
    BPL Member

@slammer

Locale: Oklahoma Flat Lands

Any feedback on the Motrail yet? I am thinking about going this way for my CT trip in July.

Wondering how it handles the wind.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

isnt it just a 2 person protrail?

;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

But it’s mo.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

I’m curious if it’s possible to not use the strut if set up with two front poles.  Franco?

Gumbo
    BPL Member

@redgum

Locale: Aussie in exile in the PNW

So the MoTrail was released more than 6 months ago, and most of a summer has passed (all in the PNW :-( ). How is it? Anyone care to share a review?

Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Sorry I missed Chad’s question :

Is it  possible to not use the strut if set up with two front poles ?

Both the ProTrail and MoTrail can have a stick holding up the back or it can be tied to a tree or a shrub.

So if any of those options are available  and you want to use two poles at the front, it can be done.

Donald Browning
    BPL Member

@docdb

Locale: SE USA

I have one coming for a North Georgia extravaganza next weekend. Can’t wait!

Don

Brian
    Spectator

@beber

Last year I bought my first light weight tent, a Big Agnes Scout. Its okay but it has a few quirks that I really dislike.

It wasn’t until after I bought it did I find out about Tarp Tents. Wish I would have sooner, because I’ve been pining over the Motrail ever since. Its very similar in design to BA Scout but apears to fix all of my issues. Not to mention its cheaper and its made in the USA.

Rich G
    BPL Member

@talus

Locale: Rustbelt

I have a Squall 2 and really like it, but don’t really care for the velcro system on the beak.  I think that the Motrail has a zipper.  That would make it nearly perfect shelter.  I will probably replace the Squall with a Motrail if the damn thing ever wears out!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Here is a user review from a link posted on the TT Facebook page :
    http://www.bergreif.de/2016/10/04/tarptent-motrail-einwandzelt/
    it is in German.
    On Chrome right click on the page , a Translate to English will come up.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools