Topic

Tarptent Aeon Review (First Looks)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tarptent Aeon Review (First Looks)

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Alex H
    BPL Member

@alexthegreat

My only major hesitation on this is the thinner fabric. I am certainly not an expert but it seems like the manufacturers I trust more than Zpacks (MLD, HMG and YMG) all use the higher thread count.

I am going to buy one based on the design as it seems to fit all my needs and be very careful with it and see how it holds up.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I am going to buy one based on the design as it seems to fit all my needs and be very careful with it and see how it holds up.”

I’ve had my Duplex for at least a couple of years now, (I think more), and have never really babied it (other than using a polycryo ground sheet) and it’s held up very well.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Aeon Li orders open April 17 at 11 am Pacific time.

Ordering is limited to the first 100 people and “in stock” means that your order can be accepted and shipped within 4 weeks. First orders will ship starting the week of April 22.

Next, larger order window in mid-May.

According to Tarptent email notice.

— Rex

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

You know Rex, you could have posted that at, like, 11:30 tomorrow….

:-)

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

11:00 am Orders start

12:30 pm Four tents left

1:45 pm

Should see more first looks after they start shipping next week.

— Rex

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

This is the third batch. However the second was only for 20 .

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

thanks for the review!

I bit the bullet and ordered one yesterday; this shelter appears to check the boxes I’m wanting in a solo shelter

look forward to putting it through its paces

Buddy B
    BPL Member

@buddyb

Fantastic review and it did sway my decision to purchase an Aeon over the Plexamid. I just wanted to share a couple of photos of possible door configurations opposed to either fully open or closed.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I can see that first configuration being very useful :)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

well as luck would have it, my Aeon showed up at my door literally 10 minutes before I was out the door Friday heading for Birch Ck for the Bob Marshall Open; looked at the instructions & set it up, pulled my other shelter out and threw the Aeon in

night one it rained the entire night, the shelter was sagged slightly in the morning (possible the pitch could  have been better???), but I was very snug and dry; no condensation issues

not much in the way of wind, so will reserve judgment on that, but it’s quick to setup/take down, very roomy (including the vestibule) and very light- mine weighed 16.3 oz w/ stakes

thus far a two thumbs up :)

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

…very roomy…

Useless commentary unless we know how tall you are. :-)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

whoops- 6′, slightly wide :)

Craig P
    BPL Member

@sipho

I received the 2020 version and used it on a number of trips this season. Updates in 2020 (from the TT website):

• Two way #3 YKK waterproof vestibule zippers for enhanced strength and ventilation
    • Adjustable PitchLoc™ end staking points

I’ve used it in the Uintas (UT), on the Ruby Crest Trail (NV), the Eagle Cap Wilderness (OR) and trips in the Grand Canyon from the North and South rims and am quite happy with it. It has worked well in moderate rain and wind. I’m 69 inches tall (175 cm) and find it roomy with enough length to keep my boots at the foot of my sleeping bag. I find it easy to roll it tight enough such that it fits in the factory stuff sack with my double-layer polycryo ground cloth. My only minor complaint is that the door and the fly unroll easily when held by their magnetic ties. But I have the same problem with the ties on my Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL1 so maybe it’s just me.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Just picked up a used 1st generation Aeon Li. I am really digging the simplicity of pitching and it’s ability to not have the apex guyed out-this is great for tight sites. At 6’2″ I am probably at the limit with 2.5″ pad and 30f quilt. This is nothing new to me-my other 1p tents are similar-Plex Solo, The One. My question is, has any one added a stick on guy out point at the head end(general area circled in red) to give a bit more headroom? I use these points on the Plex Solo and they work very well when you use a hiking pole or stick to lift up and out. Seems like it would work here on the Aeon Li also-

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Brad, I would worry that the stick would poke through the fabric. I do similar with my tarp to hold up the middle, using a hiking staff. However, this is around a 1″ diameter staff (actually it is my wife’s staff.) You could do this from the outside with a sticky patch and a loop. After the patch has dried, you can use a found stick to hold it up and stake it out. Don’t worry about left and right pressure, it seems OK with a single staking point.
    Next would be to simply use your pack. You are quite tall, so this may not be an option.

The other thing of a more minor concern, is the change in geometry, due to the lifted corner. DCF does not stretch easily, so, any support would likely change the entire geometry of the tent. You have a little to play with, but not much. It could make the door come loose at the bottom or create a puddle or wrinkle in the canopy if it is too high. A 3″ or 4″ lift will likely not effect things, though. The end will want a small triangular piece sewn in, similar to other Tarptent models, to compensate for the geometry change with more lift.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@James Marco thanks. I should have worded my question better- I was intending to use a Zpacks stick on loop. Them attach a thin guy line as needed and my other hiking pole to lift up and out on the line. Not a severe amount of tension.
    <p style=”text-align: left;”> I noticed when pitched those areas have a little give. I can gently push up with my finger above my head and gain 2-4” with out much geometry distortion. That’s of course looking from the inside.

I just found an old Reddit post from a Tarptent employee that gave a reason they don’t add mid panel guy outs. https://www.reddit.com/r/Ultralight/s/6pmkuP6PI7</p>

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I asked about some additional guy outs for my Aeon, Henry responded and didn’t think it was a good idea. This was for additional strength in high winds. I think one low to make just a bit more head room is a little different and would probably be fine.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Tarptent recommended an X pattern -seem to seem-using dcf tape on said panel to keep distortion of material from happening. I think Dan Durston mentioned this strategy also on another tent.

As you said this wouldn’t be pulling very hard on the panel and I’ve seen no distortion on my Plex Solo which has the guy outs and no reinforcements.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools