Topic

Tarptent Aeon Review (First Looks)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Tarptent Aeon Review (First Looks)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Companion forum thread to: Tarptent Aeon Review (First Looks)

The Tarptent Aeon Li is one of the lightest solo (1-person) backpacking tents available. Made with Dyneema Composite Fabrics (DCF), the Aeon is a single-wall design featuring a zippered side-entry with a vestibule. The Aeon requires 4-7 stakes and is pitched with a single trekking pole.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Great review, including the video. Liked that you compared the Aeon point-by-point with the Plexamid. Also liked that you addressed several concerns (from people who’ve never used it) with “it’s just not that big of a deal.” Interesting that you found taller bathtubs aren’t always better.

Thanks!

— Rex

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Yes, thank you for this review.  It certainly covered the bases, with the noted exception being how it handles a significant rainstorm.  I’d like to hear from folks who have used it in a rainstorm.

avi sito
    BPL Member

@avisito

Excellent review. Really thorough. Looks like a very compelling tent. Thanks!

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

Any suggestions on a good, slightly larger stuff sack that people have used and like with the Aeon?

Would the 7×15 version of this REI sack work well?  The mesh would give the tent a chance to dry.  Not for bushwhacking while carrying on the outside, but on established trails.

Tarptent says the Aeon is 4×14 when packed.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Great review Ryan… thanks.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

A lot of good info, thanks.

But no discussion of the overlapping vestibule doors? How hard is it to access the whatever mechanism holds the bottom closed when you are inside? Can you close the doors halfway down but leave a gap at the bottom for air flow? When one side is open and the other closed, does that pitched free edge vibrate/hum in the wind?

Door use and management is a critical part of a shelter. The stupid door on my Altaplex is the thing I like about it the least. A lot of the discussion surrounding TT Notch Li was directed at door complaints.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Very comprehensive review……Thanks!

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

“The max height you can pitch the Aeon is about 47 in (199.4 cm), but a slightly longer pole is useful if the ground is uneven”.

That should be 119.4 cm .

However it can be pitched at 49″/125 cm (on the left)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

I like this shot, given that it isn’t sold as a 4 season tent

In that video the folding and rolling of the tent was a bit too messy.

I gave a demo a few days ago to an SS Li customer on how to do his. It fits easily into the stuff sack if done correctly.

My way is to bring the PitchLoc ends together , then flick the tent up  up in the air (holding those struts) so it is stretched out, then go to the other end and fold the fabric in to the strut width, then roll up from the non Pitch Loc end. That way the fabric does not puff up with trapped air.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Franco – this is just a preliminary review and I don’t have extended experience with the shelter yet. I had some difficulty pitching it over 47” — does it require some restaking or other tricks? I wasn’t able to get the edges to stay taut like in your 49” photo, but granted, I didn’t spend much time trying to figure it out.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

You are way ahead of me. I haven’t had a play with the Aeon as yet, that photo is from the other TT branch, the one in Nevada City. (ask Henry)

BTW, looks like your Kuksa cup is your comfort item. Nice.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

From the ‘con’ section of the review:

“Hook-and-loop patches on overlapping vestibule doors are not as easy to use as a zipper,”

This may well be true. But zipper failure is a bummer. And given that we hike and pitch in dirt and sand and duff, I applaud efforts to minimize or eliminate zippers.

edit: not zipper size!! I prefer a hefty #5.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

First rate video Ryan. Your YouTube following is getting ready to take off..

More videos of shelters in windy conditions will be a surefire hit (Dirigo 2, SS Li, Duplex).

Also Ryan, I appreciate your willingness to endorse the Aeon over the Plexamid. It took some courage, but people who are getting ready to cough up $535 plus for a 1P tent need a good honest review. I really do wish TT would offer the .74 and camo option though.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Excellent review! Thanks, Ryan.

RVP
    BPL Member

@tunaboy999-2

Locale: Mid Atlantic

The Aeon is 2.5 ounces lighter and $65 cheaper than the Notch Li. Notch has double wall, double door. Are there any other advantages of the Aeon over the Notch?   i.e livable space, storm worthiness, accommodating a dog, etc.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Notch Li is a double wall tent, so it’s heavier but also has the modular and condensation management benefits of a double wall.

Ryan: How are you pitching this with 4 stakes? Not staking the strut at the back center presumably?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Staking the center back wall strut is not necessary if you’re in still conditions if you really crank down on the back corners. However, even in slight wind, it helps a lot.

I tend to stake everything all the time, however – it creates a more taut structure that provides smooth surfaces for condensation to drip down.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Hi Franco. Does Henry have a date of arrival estimate for the next batch of the Aeon Li. Run an auction for them for all I care. Just as long as I have a Fair Shot at getting one on this round 1.

Cheers,
    Bill in Roswell, GA

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Bill, we will have a lot of them in production over the next 6-7 weeks and we expect to open ordering in mid April.  Do sign up for the Aeon Li notification list, if you haven’t already, as that way you’ll have first crack at ordering and receiving.

-H

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Thanks, Henry! Yup, I am signed up. I’m sure demand will be through the roof!

John Macri
    BPL Member

@jpmac55

I’m signed up, too.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ryan,

Thanks for that excellent review. I keep going back to the video and seem to learn something new each time I view it. And then I look at Youtube reviews of other Dyneema ‘mid tents for comparison and it reinforces your verdict on the AEON.

Henry Shires’ clever re-design of the genre has once again shown what was needed for improving a basic design. It’s one thing to improve just one area such as venting. But to also improve interior space, better open door protection and all with fewer stakes needed is impressive.

peter t
    BPL Member

@petersonallen

to Ryan, rehashing a more general question : almost all mids – including your Locus Gear – use the beefier .75 oz sq yd DCF. Do you have any concerns whatsoever with TarpTent’s option to only offer their DCF tents in 0.5 oz DCF? I do know that while ZPacks offers versions in both weights, Joe does remark that’s the .75 oz is not really needed… agree? Thx

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

When looked at loosely, it’s, you know, the middle of April. Just sayin’…. :-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools