Topic

Tarp shelter + all night fire (going to ground)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Tarp shelter + all night fire (going to ground)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I’m thinking of changing up my backpacking strategy and wanted some feedback.

I’m thinking of going from being a 100% hammock camper and instead sleeping on the ground under a tarp.

I used to be 100% convinced that hammock camping was the “one true way” to camp but I think I’ve come 180 degrees.

Basically my new strategy is going to be sleeping directly on the ground under a tarp, with a wool blanket and sleeping right next to the fire with a reflective tarp behind me.

The negatives for hammock camping are completely solved in this configuration.

• The gear is all rather cheap. Wool blanket, tarps are pretty cheap
    • Setup is super easy. Not very complex. With the hammock setup there are underquilts, overquilts, hammock socks, proper hang, etc.
    • No fire at night
    • Difficulty of getting in and out quickly / easily.
    • Back issues bending in and out of the hammock at night time.

I think the main thing that drove me this direction was a discussion I had with a native american on a bus to Yosemite.

His tribe was from Yosemite and his grandfather taught him to just sleep directly on the ground next to the fire.  He preferred this setup and after thinking about it for a long time I think he’s right.

I can have my tarp right next to the fire.  I can have the fire going all night long.  If I get super cold, I can just throw some more logs on the fire.

I can put reflective material on the back side of the tarp to keep me warmer.

For comfort I’m planning on setting up a hammock tarp / camp chair setup where it’s basically just a small piece of ‘tarp’ material hung over a tripod.

The ability to ‘sit’ in the wilderness in a real chair and be comfortable in the hammock was what drove me to that strategy but I think this will give me the best of both worlds.

Thoughts?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Fire bans? Rain? Better management of natural resources.

Sorry, reads like an April 1 post.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Nix the fire.
    Look more carefully into your layering,sleeping choices. It would be a far better outcome to just pack a pound or two more of insulation rather than to close your eyes and sleep next to even a small fire.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There is no way I would go to sleep with a fire burning.

Even having a mate or two I would not trust one to remain awake and why should they ?

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

Totally depends on your environment.  I have enjoyed this type of camp setup numerous times.  I wouldn’t do it during the summer in the Sierra but I have done it in Spring and Fall when things are wetter.  I find it very soothing to sleep next to a fire.

Some of the cons have been mentioned.  Fire safety is a big one.  Wool blankets are heavy. In my experience you don’t really sleep all that much because a wool blanket gets pretty cold pretty quick once the fire dies down.  You tend to spend more time in camp, less time walking. You’ll burn holes in your tarp (I use one from BCUSA that is flame retardant but it weighs 39oz for a 10×10.)

All in all you get much more bang for your buck carrying more insulation  and nixing the fire.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools