Topic

Tarp set up for extending your living space (not for night sleeping)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarp set up for extending your living space (not for night sleeping)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Locale: Toronto, Ontario

Hello

Any good ideas on how to set up a tarp quickly in rain in order to cook under or just hang out?

I did some googling already but for some reason I see a lot ideas on tarp set ups for when sleeping but not really for my needs. These set ups do not have too much head room either. What people do when it is raining? I do have a tent (Double Rainbow Tarptent) but it would be nice to have some refuge ( for 2 people) for when it is raining.

So I am looking for rain solutions for 2 situations:

1 For when still hiking and I want to take a break.

2 For set up at a camp for the day. It would be nice to set up the tarp over one of the entrances to the tent, to extent the living area, but I am not sure about cooking so close to the tent in bear country. Maybe if I do not use very fragrant food then it might be OK for the occasional cooking at the tent? Please, please advise LOL

You guys have always had great advice so I am looking forward to your responses.

I have the tarp poncho from Sea to Summit. Any interesting ways to set it up? Its dimensions are a little awkward: 10 by 5 feet. I am open to buying a tarp. Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Not experienced with a poncho tarp, but with my hammock tarps I would look for 2 trees and set it up like a simple A frame. If your lucky enough to be semi sheltered the drops from the trees will be vertical and you can set it up as high as you want.  Without trees hiking poles also work with an a frame.  It the tarp has multiple attachment points in the sides modify the a frame so there’s more on one side; against the wind.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Agreed, an A Frame or shed pitch works well for cooking or taking a break in the rain.

I try to keep food away from my shelter. I think most people follow that guideline. Just my $.02 but pitching a cooking (and hangout) tarp even 10 meters away seems like a good idea.

5’ width is a little narrow if the wind is blowing. You could pick up a 7×9 from Borah or ZPacks. It’s up to you if the weight and time to set it up is worth it. It isn’t for me but I hang out in AZ/CA so I’m not dealing with lots of wet days.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

I bought a triplex footprint from ZPacks and pitch it as a tarp to form a porch for my Duplex. Works quite well.  I have hung out for several hours in my Chair Zero under it during a “toad strangler” storm. It’s not palatial, but works very well for the cost/weight.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, I agree that a lean-to (shed) pitch is about the easiest. Here in the ADK’s, a quick shelter is often needed. I leave a bit of line attached and simply wrap one end around a tree, then drop a stake through the loop. Stretch out towards the back and put a stake (or tie off to a bush or tree.) then I continue over to the other back corner and secure it down. Lastly, I put a longer stick up (around 6′ or so) do a bowline and stake out the guyline. Quick and nasty. However, it will catch a lot of wind. A lower roof with an angled front over a line works better in heavy storms. Leave a 4-6″ gap rather than staking it tight to the ground. It relieves air pressure better.

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Great! Thank you.I have not found really anything different so far than what you say guys.

@ JCH A footprint does not have any grommets or loops. How do you set it up?

@  James Marco: Would you maybe have any pictures of the set up? I am not that familiar with some of the terminology.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

On rafting trips I set up many large tarps for cooking or hanging out in the shade and rain. A few bits of advice:

Bigger is always better. Don’t save a couple of ounces and end up huddling in the very center of the tarp.

Really long guy lines are essential.

Bombproof stake-out points are essential, since rain and high wind frequently occur together. Long guy lines mean you can tie off to trees, stumps, big rocks, more easily. A few heavy-duty long stakes help, too.

Pitch the tarp so the rain drains in a preferred direction. I watched others bungle this simple requirement frequently.

As James pointed out, a long pole in the middle helps with both headroom and rain drainage. On raft trips, paddles and oars worked well. For backpacking, scrounge sticks, or maybe carry CF tarp poles.

Creative tarpology is necessary and comes with practice – don’t fixate on one pitch for all sites.

Footprint or tarp with no grommets: Old trick is wrap part of a corner around a small rock, then tie under the rock, trapping the rock inside. Various temporary tarp tie-out gadgets also available, but rocks are free and weigh nothing if found on site.

HTH.

— Rex

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

My wife and I each have trekking poles that can extend to about 58″.  The tarp is a 10×10 with linelocks and cords attached.  Two corners and the two mid-point have “pole pockets” to accept the handle of trekking poles.  Stakes are MSR Groundhogs and 4 Eastons that are 8″ long.

Pole Pocket with LineLock (the inspiration for Zpacks’ tarp “improvements”).

Assuming you don’t have trees to work with, pin one edge to the ground with the Eastons. Insert poles into the mid-point pockets and stake out lines.  Insert poles into the corner pockets and stake out lines. Done.

(Canoeing in BWCA.)

Our tarp is a MYOG without catenary cuts.  In a rain storm it will collect water in the “belly” between the poles ….  unless you simply drop a corner and let it run off.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

@alina – take a look at the groundsheets on ZPacks website…they do indeed have webbing loops.

Alina G
    BPL Member

@alina

Rex – You suggest not skimping on the size of the tarp. That is a good point. What is a good size for 2 people then? Greg mentioned that his tarp is 10 X10. Does it sound right? It looks palatial but maybe this is what it takes. I think that 8X10 might be a more common size offered by sellers though.

And is it better to get a square one or maybe slightly a rectangular one?

My husband uses hiking poles that extend to 130 cm. I am also considering buying https://www.tarptent.com/product/vertical-support-pole/ the longest ones on the website – 56 in. They are only 4.75 oz. Does anyone use these? Are they strong enough in wind?

I also found these https://www.pariaoutdoorproducts.com/collections/backpacking-gear-accessories/products/adjustable-tarp-poles A little heavier but look versatile and sturdy.

There is also Ruta Locura.

Any other recommendations?

I think that I am going to post a new thread on tarp poles anyway as it is a different topic. Besides I have already searched for this topic in this forum and I did not find a ton of info.

@Greg
    I have googled linelocks. They sound interesting, however what about if I want to tie a cord around a tree. Would this system work without untying the linelocks?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Take some extra cord and a couple of LW “S” hooks from Niteize and no problems using a tree and linelocks, from memory the #1 weighs 3 grams. My old Moss tent had a special grommet at the front that the Moss Tent fly attached to with a nylon wingnut and screw. When I walked with my kids [ 3 of them 8YO to 15 YO]  used a big 10*10 set between 2 smaller tents { 2 girls in one, my son and I in the other} and if you can keep the weight reasonable bigger is definitely better. Moss tent wing was the same dimensions as the MSR “Twing” OK solo or a comfortable couple but too small for 3 kids plus an adult.

If I was to make one these days; I’d maybe do an asymmetrical tarp like the Sea to Summit hammock tarp, wide edge to the windward and the point to a single tall pole out front for more room and down closer to ground in iffy weather

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

If you are mostly sitting on the ground with one or two people, and attach the upwind edge to a tent or near the ground, an 8×8 foot tarp should work. A 10×10 tarp would be luxurious but more than 50% heavier.

Square tarps are more versatile.

130 cm hiking poles are more than long enough for sitting on the ground under a tarp, and two poles give you much more room and pitching flexibility.

Carbon fiber tarp poles are much lighter but much more expensive than aluminum tarp poles, but many tarp poles are just too skinny in my opinion. Mountain Laurel Designs custom CF poles seem stout and include a 4 inch (10 cm) pole jack for simple adjustability. A 49 inch (124 cm) MLD tarp pole is about 2.3 ounces and $75. Many people like the Ruta Locura adjustable poles, but they are about 3.7 ounces at that size.

— Rex

Rob Lee
    BPL Member

@ouzel-701

Locale: Southern High Plains

A basic hammock tarp setup may be an easy solution for you. Warbonnet Outdoors has a nice video titled Basic Tarp Setup. Quick, simple, affordable. Super simple in a forest & the trees can be small when its’ just a tarp. You can suspend it as high or low as you want.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Alina, Sorry for the late reply but I have been out hiking/paddling…just catching up.

These are the basic flat tarp setups.

A flat roof is not shown. While it is good cover, as Rex says you need a pole to raise it in the center somewhat and it catches a lot of water. You generally have to push water off it every 2-10 minutes. It does not catch much wind, though, basically like a sheet of paper flapping in a wind.

A Lean-to pitch is the easiest. Just tie off to a couple trees and then stake it down with 2 stakes. It can catch a lot of wind. Leaving it up, off the ground, with some 12-14″ pieces of line about 6-12″ means it will not catch as much. (The aerodynamics are a bit more complicated, suffice to say it relieves internal pressure by about 25% via a “spoiler” effect…) It also benefits from a center pole. But, it also blocks a lot of wind and rain from one side.

The shed roof catches about half as much wind as a lean-to pitch. You need four stakes for this one though. A ridge is formed helping to deflect part of the wind. Leaving it off the ground creates a “spoiler” effect, too.  This is the preferred compromise between ease of set-up and protection.

An A-Frame is a symmetrical shed. It has about the best aerodynamics. It sheds water fairly easily, easier than a lean-to or shed.  If you stake it down to the ground, it also becomes a sleeping shelter. Though all can be used to sleep under providing good wind protection and rain shedding. Usually setting on a slight mound will keep you fairly dry.

There are a lot more configurations you can use. Mostly, they are variants of one of the above. You should practice with a few pieces of paper.

Diamonds are simply done on the diagonal with a single pole. They shed wind very well, but driven rain can enter through the wide front opening.  But they generally are a good shelter. Using an asymmetrical tarp, they can be set against the wind, reducing the amount of driven rain. You can cook under these, also. These are simple to set up. Simply tie one corner off to a tree, then stake down the opposite diagonal, then the sides. They take three stakes instead of two, however.

There are hundreds of variations on these. Every time you set one up, it will likely be in a unique configuration.  Some people play origami and create all sorts of strange looking shelters. But, knowing these gives you the basics and quick shelters if you need them. Any of these can be used to extend living space with a tent.

Camping solo, I use a modified A-Frame shaped tarp exclusively. It is the lightest configuration with full storm coverage (well, except in winter.) With a partner, I usually give her a smaller 9×9 flat tarp. Even with 1.1oz Silnylon, it only weighs around 11oz. My shaped tarp (for two) goes around 17oz (including stakes and guylines,) or, around 14oz per person total camp weight. The 9×9 I often use over my fire in rain storms. So, I consider it more or less disposable. (I just make another every 5-6 years.) When these are dipped in permethrin and sprayed with DEET, they are fairly bug free. A simple 1mil piece of plastic makes a good ground cloth.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“My old Moss tent had a special grommet at the front that the Moss Tent fly attached to with a nylon wingnut and screw.”

Yes – the venerable Tent Wing !!! …(or any of the other Wings for that matter). MSR may still sell some variant of them.

I suspect I’ll sell my Tentwing & Vistawing on Ebay one day when I run out of college money for the kids.

Either way, the concept of creating an extended tarp that is designed to snugly fit over a tent entrance  is a great idea, as long as the tarp design can still be used on it’s own. Even with a rectangular tarp, I’m sure someone creative with guying it out would rig it properly, depending on the dimensions of the shelter.

Personally, I believe it would be a good myog project to tackle one day.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

JCH, I wondered if the loops on the Zpacks groundsheet would hold up in a moderate storm. I know frog choker rain, but how about wind? What type of winds can the Zpacks groundsheet handle in your estimation – 20 mph, 30 mph, more, less? For the weight Zpacks groundsheet looks like a great “quick tarp” for day hikes or a dry eating area at camp.

Thanks!
    Bill in Roswell, GA

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Bill – I’m not sure, since I have only used it in one strong storm.  I would estimate that we saw 15 mph wind gusts, but 20-25 seems doable.  It’s not designed to be a tarp so obviously the tie-outs are designed to be lightweight and simply stake it to the ground. That said, I did not buy it to weather a terrible storm, but to pitch low over the door of the Duplex to form a porch to facilitate getting in and out of the tent in the rain.  Where it to be a strong storm, I would not bother with the porch.

I am very happy with it re: cost/weight/size and for the purpose outlined above, and would recommend it for that purpose.

Here is the thread documenting my search, and finishing with some pictures of the result.

Robin M
    BPL Member

@robinmayo

Project tarp with zipper.  Fits on 3 (different sizes) of my tents for a porch.  Not hard to make, just add a zipper above the door on the rainfly.  Be sure to seal all the stiches.  Can use either a trek pole or tree for the center attachment.  Room for 2 chair zeros to watch the rain.  Also good with night storms to leave tent door open for ventilation and watch the weather from inside.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Thanks! Most interesting as I’ve wanted to explore with ultralight material that DCF provides. A flat tarp can be adapted for many uses yet weigh under 5 ounces. Worth the carry as long as I’m not hauling a clunky bear canister.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I was thinking back. I have another small suggestion based on my past experience using a much heavier item.

Before the kids arrived and I walked with a particulate set of people who had some army service a few of us carried Australian Army hootchies. The Aussie version of the pup tent/shelter half. It might be worth while thinking about carrying 2 smaller tarps; one each. Set up as a single tarp there would be just enough room to sit for a lunch out of the rain but if you wanted to maximise sheltered space  you could use 2 of them. Set up as overlapping shed roofs you would get no leakage or you could have one either side of the tent if you had two doors. Weight penalty in Cuben wouldn’t be great and it gives the person not carrying the tent a very usable emergency shelter just in case. I’m thinking two tarps from 3 yards of Cuben / DCF as a DIY project

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

JCH, did you ever try the stick-on loop idea, that would use the rear pole on your Duplex as a tie-off point?  Did it work?  I’m afraid I haven’t been all that impressed with the durability of the stick-on patches when put under stress.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Diane – no, I never did try it deeming it likely to be futzy, dubious (like you) of the performance of the stick-on patches, and not being willing to risk damage to a very expensive shelter :)

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I just got one of these for my Locus Gear Hapi, but haven’t had a chance to set it up yet.

Hapi Tarp

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

That Locus Gear tarp? Is the back closed?

As set-up in the picture it looks like it answers the big problem I had using a Megamid with the Moss Tentwing, the Moss put a lot of extra strain on the Megamid pole because it was difficult to add any extra guy lines for relief

Looks excellent

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I just got it in the mail and haven’t opened it yet.  I assumed it wrapped around the tent’s pole.  It also has the guylines.

I like the idea of being able to leave the door open in almost any conditions.  Also, the Hapi doesn’t really have a vestibule.  I got the Grande version (not listed on the web site, but you can request it), so it has a little extra space inside.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools