Topic

Suluk 46 Uki Buck Saw

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Suluk 46 Uki Buck Saw

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Suluk 46 just announced on their Facebook Page the release of their 5.2 ounce 12 inch bucksaw.

Not affiliated, just intrigued and thought I’d pass it on.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

1.5 oz lighter than the $20 Bacho folding saw. Which folds and is easy to store in my pack.

Abela’s hikelighter has a YouTube video on this. $84, ouch, saw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgBelPS8Bws

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Well when you put it that way…

My Opinel is lighter.  I’d normally tell you by how much but the 9v battery in my scale died a horrible death today and I’ll need to run to the store later.  Alas, the blade is a paltry 12cm/4.75 inches long compared to Bacho’s 9 inch blade and Suluk 46’s 12 inch blade.

On a related note, per his Facebook page, David Gardner has shut down his website but can still take orders via email.

Well, I’ve dropped my web site, but I’m still selling all of my super ultralight products: single and multi-fuel cook kits; alcohol, esbit, wood and canister stoves; flat-bottomed aluminum beer can pots; saws, trekking poles, and polycryo tarp/tents. Send me a message if you’re interested and I’ll send you photos and prices. […] [email protected]

Specs for his saws

13″ (10.5″ of teeth) pull saw fabricated from Corona tree-pruning blade. Simple, rugged, super sharp. 3.1 oz – $60

10.5″ (8″ of teeth) Japanese nokogiri pull saw. Extremely light, super sharp. 2.5 oz – $50

Again, no affiliation or anything to disclose.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

That Suluk may have a 12″ blade but not all of it is usable. If that thin plastic hand guard goes missing you better have gloves along. Lighter is not always better.

No need to be a FSA.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

As luck would have it, I have no intention of becoming a flexible spending account.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It’s your money?

With tha angle of the frame being as low as it is once you get a couple of inches in you will not get full use of the blade in the front. Then you will have to be careful not to beat you hand against what you are sawing. Gone is more blade length. The non folding design is king of bulky. Try fitting it in a side pocket so it is easily retrievable for use. Is it worth more than four times the cost of the aforementioned Bacho to save 1.5 oz to have to deal with a lose able blade guard? I just am not seeing a great design.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

1/4 the price … ~1 oz heavier …

http://www.mec.ca/product/4009-407/bahco-folding-wood-saw/

i use mine to cut small trees/branches up to 5-6″ diameter when cleaning climbing routes/areas

its also great for decapitating marmots before stuffing them for the BBQ

;)

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

The bacho’s blade is 4.5 inches shorter. A well designed buck saw can be very efficient. It’s just much less convenient pulling it out all the time.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

how much UL BPL tree massacres are we gonna do around here?

while there are folks that chop larger trees and logs no doubt … i think most gram weenies dont need to cut too thick a log …

if anything most of the stuff we use it for are likely smaller and may not even need a saw at all … or at most a small foldable one

not to mention the bahco is proven to be durable and comfortable over the years …

;)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

3″ Justin. All of it usable. I like a buck saw and use one car camping, but I prefer the folding design for backpacking.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

how much UL BPL tree massacres are we gonna do around here?

Lots.  It’s my hope to chop down, at least, 12 free grange gluten free trees this year.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Ian, let’s get a wood cutting permit and go nuts in a couple of weeks. BPL Saw Off!

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

I feel buck saws cut much better then any folder.   So to me it’s not always about price and weight.  It’s a lot less likely to bend and break a blade and it is more efficient.   More and more people who have gone ultra light end up adding more and more items for comfort and durability.

Thank you steve for all your cool and fun creations you come up with

Hunter H
    BPL Member

@humterghall-2

4.5 years ago!

What kind of knife do you all use to baton wood?

Alexander L
    BPL Member

@ludwigk

I just got one of these saws and will test it out this weekend.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools