Topic

SUL Lost Coast Trail, Zero Chance of Rain

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists SUL Lost Coast Trail, Zero Chance of Rain

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

https://lighterpack.com/r/1umqom

I’m doing the Lost Coast Trail (SOBO from Mattole Beach to Shelter Cove) with my boyfriend this weekend. He agreed to carry the bear cannister if I agreed to carry the shelter. This allows me to go SUL, or near-SUL depending on the weight of some items (with asterisks), which I plan to weigh tomorrow. The weather forecast shows no rain, temps 50s-60s°, and calm seas.

I experimented with most of this SUL set-up last week, but night temps unexpectedly dropped down to 31° with a windchill, and I was very ill prepared for that. So this time I’m wearing VBL clothes during the hike and at night, wearing wool bottoms at night, and bringing my warmer Nunatak Gear half quilt and hoody. As usual, I’ll be eating cold because I hate doing dishes.

I’m also contemplating bringing my ZPacks groundsheet/poncho instead of my Cuben bivy. Any advice there?

Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Also, my brother may or may not join us, hence the reason we are bringing the HMG Ultamid 4.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m surprised there is ever zero chance of rain in that area. Additionally I’d expect some spray at some point. I’ve only been to Needle Rock but I’ve spent a fair amount of time ain’t the NorCal coast.

I thought VBL clothing was designed for conditions below freezing. How will that work in warmer conditions?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I just looked up Shelter Cove on Weatherundeground and they are predicting a 10% chance of rain here and there Friday through Monday.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Matthew, I run super cold, especially if it’s windy. I’ve used a VBL system (mostly a 0° Cuben quilt) in as warm as 60s° and only sweat if I didn’t vent properly. Otherwise I was perfectly comfortable. Regarding the rain, so far it says 0% chance of rain for the days we’ll be there. But I think you’re right; it’s still the wet NorCal coast…maybe the poncho groundsheet would be best.

Thanks for your response!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

yeah, I thought VBL was really best at below zero F, multi day

otherwise, it’s sort of heavy, and some people find the clamminess uncomfortable

if you’re cold bring a thicker down/synthetic insulation layer

(maybe you don’t want an argument about the effectiveness of VBL : )

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have camped without a shelter on the lost coast. About half the time I have been fine and about half the time I woke up with my bag soaked in condensation from the sky. That could be very bad for you if you get cold easily. A bivy would be a perfect shelter for your trip. Often it can be super windy so it’s better to just tuck behind a big log or boulder instead of having a shelter flap in the wind. Also it is nearly impossible to set up and stake out a taught shelter on the sand.

Keep in mind that regulations on the lost coast require each individual to carry a separate bear canister, sharing one is against the rules. I’m not saying you will get in trouble because of it, but I want you to know what the rules area. It’s really stupid, I know.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Where is that location, Jay?

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Thanks for the pics, Jay! That looks fun!

Justin, thanks for letting me know about the bear cannister rule. Since we only have larger bear cannisters, bringing 2 would be a huge waste of space and weight! I hope we don’t get in trouble for sharing one.

I’m going to hike today in the VBL pants and jacket (around the same temps) and see how I feel, maybe reconsider.   But we’re definitely bringing the tarp. I’ve done a lot of beach camping in just my bivy, but wind and condensation almost always make it unpleasant. The Ultamid 4 should breathe pretty well, mitigating the condensation.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I may not rain. The fog and wave spray can still soak you thoroughly. If asked about your canister. As long as you can prove that all your odoriferous items fit in the one canister you should be OK.

Have fun!

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@parkerjw

Locale: East Bay

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A no rain day on the coast.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I have a super light weight water resistant bivy for conditions like this. Breathes well, works with a tarp.

I grew up around Seattle and spent a lot of time on the Olympic peninsula…it’s wet.

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

Just an update…

My Terra Nova pack designated for SUL trips ripped, and the Ultamid 4 was heavier than advertised, so I’m giving up on making this a SUL trip. I could still accomplish SUL comfortably with my ZPacks Zero and my Snowyside Bivy, Cuben bivy, YMG Cirriform tarp, but I’d rather just bring the Ultamid for the 2 or 3 of us to share (still unsure if my brother is joining us). So since I’m not able to keep it all under 5 lbs., I added my longer Xtherm for comfort and an extra dry bag for better organization. I also decided to leave behind the VBL NTS Pants because the weather is now looking much warmer, but I’ll likely wear the NTS jacket for nighttime and day time wind chills.

This is the official gear list. I’m all packed up. We leave today for California at 3am and hopefully start hiking by 11am.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Have fun! Please post a trip report afterwords. I’m eager to do this hike some day.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

How did the gear work out? Would you make any changes for next time?

Bri W
    BPL Member

@bwrightback

The weather was warm, so I left behind the  VBL pants and jacket, and brought along my Montbell Tachyon windjacket. I’m really glad I brought that, because although it was warm most of the time, the ocean breeze was sometimes a bit nippy.

The only thing I would’ve changed was my socks. The toe socks I packed had holes in them and I didn’t notice until we’d already left for California, so I had to wear ankle high normal merino wool socks that I had in my car. I ended up getting three blisters between toes as a result. The sand moves the foot around oddly. I guess I wasn’t expecting that.

Also, don’t forget your car keys. I left mine at the start of the trail in the other car. Long story short, I had to paid for a $510 shuttle ride.

Overall, it’s actually a very easy trail, even during the slow-going sandy or rocky sections. I’d read online that most of it was sand, but actually most of it was hard-packed trails above the beach.

I’d recommend hiking it at least once.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools