Topic

SUL and clothing

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Chad P
    BPL Member

@exup

hey guys, i have a bit of a two part question. First, what does your clothing system look like with SUL base weights?

I have always had a hard time dishing out top dollar on clothing while other gear it’s pretty easy to blow my money on. I’ve been thinking it’s time and trying to get my packed clothing for down to 30 degree temps as low as comfortably possible. I hike in a synthetic long sleeve thinner shirt with hood summer and winter (typically). I’ve been thinking of getting a montbell plasma 1000 vest and pairing that with a wind jacket over it. With a fleece or down beanie and my buff (I never take off) Does anyone else use system like this for semi lower temps?

HIking all day I’ll stay warm with just the wind jacket. Once making camp it’s time for dinner and laying under the quilt unless I choose to stay up late with a fire  not sure if I’m pushing it with the vest.  Thanks guys!

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

Down to freezing, I’m comfortable with the following:

• Wicking Layer Top
    • Non-Grid Fleece Top
    • Wind Jacket
    • Fleece Pants
    • Wind Pants
    • Warm Beanie
    • Warm Gloves

In temps consistently at or close to freezing, both pants layers would remain on at all times, as would my beanie and either the fleece top or the wind jacket (i.e., very little of the clothing is actually packed). Same would probably be said of the gloves. I get very cold hands.

If it did warm up, wind pants and one of the jackets would go into the pack.

While moving and around freezing, your system would be perfectly warm to me, assuming I had some nice, warm gloves. With my system, I’d start to get chilly in the 20s and would probably resort to drinking warm water out of a Nalgene to stay warm. Your system would definitely pad the warmth a bit to probably safer tolerances.

That said, it’s rarely ever in the 20s for extended periods of time in Oklahoma, and if it was, I’d probably be at home. :)

Chad P
    BPL Member

@exup

It looks like our system is quite similar as well as our situation. Being in Ohio I don’t get out but once or twice a year in colder temps than 30d. Not really worth the added cost of a 0d set up or fancy expensive down coats so I’ll just add a few things or just not go, haha. More often than not it means a two mile hike and whiskey around a fire. My current clothing set up is about the same as yours.

• wicking long sleeve with hood
    • non grid fleece
    • wind jacket
    • thin running tights
    • fleece pants
    • merino wool buff
    • fleece beanie
    • thin gloves
    • darn tough socks x2

Typically I wear everything while hiking excluding the fleece shirt(unless unusually cold) fleece beanie, sleep socks, and gloves are back and forth.

Ultimately im trying to loose the fleece shirt for slight superior core warmth but I lose the arm warmth. I could go with a down jacket but I feel I’d get more use in temps up to high 50s from the vest, but I may be over estimating the value of this down jacket/vest.

Thanks a ton for your input!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

sub 2268 is great.

Chad P
    BPL Member

@exup

Thanks for all the great links and gear list!

Chad P
    BPL Member

@exup

Seems a few people are comfortable with a similar set up. I opted to steer from the hype and get a Borah vest instead. When I find the time to get out I’ll get back with how it works for me. Thanks guys.

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

Probably the more reasonable choice. The Montbell is a little more expensive than I’d want to pay.

Let us know how it goes!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Also look for LL Bean and Eddie Bauer  (1st Ascent models) down garments on sale. Most of both brands have DWR treatment on the down.

PANTS: REI light poly or Duluth Trading light nylon pants

BELT: light nylon webbing W/ Q-R buckle

SHIRT: REI or Cabela’s SPF 50 polyester long sleeve (for more UV protection at high altitudes)

HAT: REI polyester wide brim W/ mesh side vents

T-SHIRTS & BRIEFS: polyester

SOCKS: nylon/wool by Thor-Lo

I have both a down vest (Dri-Down treated) and a light down jacket (untreated) from Eddie Bauer. If I expect sustained cold weather I’ll take both, wearing the vest under the jacket and my REI size XL eVent parka over them if necessary.

My bag is a Western Mountaineering overstuffed (one ounce extra down) Megalite. It’s good to 20 F., lower wearing my down vest or jacket and medium weight poly long johns and light fleece balaclava.

My pack is an Osprey EXOS 58, size Large. Not a SUL pack but very comfortable. At that weight (2.5 lbs.) “carry comfort” beats SUL weight comfort.

S. Steele
    Spectator

@sbsteele

Locale: North Central New Jersey

For decades I wear a polypropylene zip turtle neck long sleeve shirt base layer. Low cost, quick dry, sensible warmth and probably the best hydrophobic material. I’ve converted crew neck long sleeve polypropylene shirts to zip turtle neck shirts by adding a zipper and polypro neck piece. Bottoms are also polypro.

My second layer is a light wool long sleeve crew neck sweater. My pants are DWR nylon. My hands are covered in Opossum gloves and feet in Opossum or fleece socks. My head is topped with a wool or alpaca beany with a fleece interior.

My third layer is a down jacket or synthetic hooded jacket. A pair of 2 layer fleece mittens and Event over mittens are carried in reserve as well as lightweight wet/snow and wind condition protection, spare socks and balaclava. For snow conditions I’ll wear lightweight gaiters. I carry chemical heaters as back-up.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

To me, SUL always meant >32F.  I would get a good (800+fp) hooded down jacket. Likely the Feathered Friends Eos at around $300 or the Montbell Mirage at around $400. Both are around 3/4 pound and work well with a SUL kit.

I just bring a rain jacket. It doubles as a wind jacket and is quite warm when hiking. The down sweater, under it with the zipper open works well in cold weather. If you are hiking hard, you can skip the down. If you are sweating, you have too much on. Usually, a poly long sleeve shirt and rain jacket are all I need for hiking. At camp, I want my down, though.

Pants are typically all nylon. Wool hiking socks, nylon underwear and poly shirt. SUL is about traveling light. Just remember to rinse out the shirt every day or it can get very funcky. Pants. too, if you have nice weather.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools