Topic

SUL 16 oz Capacity Esbit System

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear SUL 16 oz Capacity Esbit System

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    John “Jay” Menna
    BPL Member

@jaymenna78734

Locale: 30.3668397,-97.7399123

“toxic tablets outside of my cook kit”

Oh.  How did I miss this for so many years.  The evidence was right under my nose.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

How do you bond the Fosters can to the catfood can?

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Like this:

After applying the sealant I spread it to make sure there is 100% coating all the way around, on both the cat food can and the Foster’s. I use a utility blade but a popsicle stick or any thin, flat thing will work:

There will be some excess sealant, which I wipe off with paper towels:

There is a bit of excess on the inside too, but it’s not a functional or aesthetic issue. I boil at least two pots of water and dump then before I actually use the pot.

Voila!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Wow so that stuff can hold up to flame? When my current Foster’s pot dies I might try shortening a new one from the top down instead of cutting off the bottom. Perhaps I could remove a band in the middle and glue the top back on.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Not with a dry pot obviously, but otherwise not a problem with Esbits, alcohol or canister stoves.

All of your ideas can be fabricated. Curious, why do you want to shorten from the top down?

I take off the bottom of the Foster’s  can because it is rounded and disproportionately thicker than the sides of the can. The flat cat food can sits well on a variety of pot supports, weighs less, and absorbs heat better.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

I have a caldera cone system with a Foster’s pot so I don’t care that the bottom isn’t flat. If I replaced the pot I would like to keep the top part of the Foster’s can so I can still use the lid. Overall it’s kind of too tall. I never need to fill it all the way.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools