Topic

Suggestion for improving the "Forums" page

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support Suggestion for improving the "Forums" page

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

I’m not sure if this is the right place, but here goes…

I seem to remember that on the old web site when you were on the “forums” page (https://backpackinglight.com/forums/) there was a column on the right that showed the newest post.

Now you don’t see how old the posts are until you’re actually in the forum.

Maybe I’m wrong, but even if I am I think that would be a great improvement to the site because I often visit and open the same 5-6 forums each time (e.g., gear swap, hammock camping, bikepacking…). Often I wait and wait for it to load, only to find that the newest post is very old. Of course this never happens with gear swap or the other more popular kids, but right now for example the newest bikepacking and hammock camping posts are over a month old. if I could tell that from the main forums page I’d save a lot of time not loading them.

Not a big deal, but I at least would appreciate it, especially since the new site seems to take a lot longer to load than the old.
    Anybody else? Thanks!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This has been addressed in the Feature Request forum. Here

Hopefully we will see that return when the site moves to it’s next platform. That can’t come soon enough IMO.

MW
    BPL Member

@mewe

Yeah, I use the recent threads because I don’t want to have to open every forum I’m interested in to find out what has changed.  Down side is that gear swap gets a lot of traffic and swamps everything else.  So then you end up loading pages of ‘recent threads’ to see something other than gear swap posts.  To remove gear swap from the recent threads has been requested, but nothing has happened. I’ve given up on any ‘fixes’ to this site and maybe one day I will be surprised.  Visiting this site is low on my list now.  Some great stuff happens, but this isn’t the only site on the web.  Interestingly I’ve seen in other people refer to here for gear swap – suggesting that backpackinglight.com is getting a name as a gear swap site rather than for its forums or articles.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Actually Gear Swap was removed for a time but had some unintended side effects that screwed things up. So it was moved back until a fix could be found. With over 100 bug reports and feature requests threads going, and the planning on moving the site once again, it is what it is… for now.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools